Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05D2/0x45D2/0x5D3/0x59D/0x5CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's not my tv. It's directv. I never had this issue till recently and with all the issues with directv, the issue points there. My tv doesn't have any whatever features anyway.

If what yer all saying is true then it would have been there all the time. It has not.

I say all this out of pissed offness and stuff.

Okay, I'll agree with you that it isn't your television, that it's DirecTV who (apparently) recently reduced the overscan, or the signal that they get from their source has a reduced overscan. Even though it isn't the fault your television, adjusting the overscan setting on your TV WILL eliminate the problem. It will also be much easier for you to successfully change the overscan on your TV than for you to successfully get DirecTV to change the overscan of their broadcast signal.

What is the make and model of your television?
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Okay, I'll agree with you that it isn't your television, that it's DirecTV who (apparently) recently reduced the overscan, or the signal that they get from their source has a reduced overscan. Even though it isn't the fault your television, adjusting the overscan setting on your TV WILL eliminate the problem. It will also be much easier for you to successfully change the overscan on your TV than for you to successfully get DirecTV to change the overscan of their broadcast signal.

Personally, I wish dtv let us mess with raster settings on the boxes. Long ago,you could some of them. there are just to any tvs with different settings to really blame anyone for the issue.

#123 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

What is overscan setting?

#124 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

What is overscan setting?

Again, what is the make and model of your television?
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#125 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Again, what is the make and model of your television?

Sorry. It's 42" LCD AOC brand. Don't know model right now.
I'll be able to find setting in menu if I knew what to look for. But this totally pisses me off that directv screwed this up.

#126 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

I attempted to download the manul, but it appears the document I was able to find has only 18 pages. It that the real size of the owner's manual for your television? That's a mighty small manual.
Luke

#127 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Sorry. It's 42" LCD AOC brand. Don't know model right now.
I'll be able to find setting in menu if I knew what to look for. But this totally pisses me off that directv screwed this up.

One thing to consider is the value of electronic capacitors change with age and use. As a TV ages and the capacitors loose their value, minor adjustments might need to be made to accommodate those changes. I have a Mitsubishi TV that I purchased in 2004. I have gone into the service menu three times since I purchased that TV to get rid of the noise at the top of the screen. I think if DirecTV had screwed this up, there would be more people unhappy with the current NR.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#128 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,726 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

One thing to consider is the value of electronic capacitors change with age and use.

And then there's "capacitor plague".

#129 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

I attempted to download the manul, but it appears the document I was able to find has only 18 pages. It that the real size of the owner's manual for your television? That's a mighty small manual.

I have no idea how big the manual is. I forget.
I don't get this all the time. Like I haven't today or yesterday. So hmm. But I will try to go into the tv menu and see what's there. I'll try to get the model # too from the back.

#130 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

I just realized. Well first I know for a fact this is a dtv problem. Next is the tv doesn't matter. It happens in the tiny video window too so it's got nothing to do with the tv.

#131 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

Personally, I wish dtv let us mess with raster settings on the boxes. Long ago,you could some of them. there are just to any tvs with different settings to really blame anyone for the issue.

I find if my Toshiba is on "Native" a channel like Hallmark (312) there is "noise" at the top of my screen. I simply switch the TV setting from "Native" to "Full", the screen image gets a bit bigger (not much) and the image "noise" is gone. My neighbors Samsung has no "Native" setting, just "16x9"....If anything, the TV manufacturer(s) is to blame.

#132 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

I just realized. Well first I know for a fact this is a dtv problem. Next is the tv doesn't matter. It happens in the tiny video window too so it's got nothing to do with the tv.

It's really no ones fault. Different manufacturers have different settings, so DIRECTV may tweak something to work a little better with some and it might be to the detriment to another. The only perfect solution is for them to give us raster controls. They can't make it perfect for everyone's tvs off one setting. No one can. Most devices over scan far more than needed to avoid the issue, I'd rather the get it closer to the edge and see more picture.

#133 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

It's really no ones fault. Different manufacturers have different settings, so DIRECTV may tweak something to work a little better with some and it might be to the detriment to another. The only perfect solution is for them to give us raster controls. They can't make it perfect for everyone's tvs off one setting. No one can. Most devices over scan far more than needed to avoid the issue, I'd rather the get it closer to the edge and see more picture.

Both of you are correct. Yes, it's DirecTVs fault, IF you call it a fault. Many televisions are guilty of setting the default overscan to too great a number. This makes it display a larger picture, at the cost of the loss of the edges. CRT TVs were notorious for this. (The HDNet test pattern had a screen designed to show the overscan of your television, alas the test pattern is no longer being shown.:)) Recently, the broadcasters have come under fire (by who, I am not sure) for sending out an overscanned video signal, so they have responded dialing back the amount of overscan. This has resulted in some televisions seeing a scan line or two of the vertical blanking interval on the top of their visible picture.

Yes, you will see it in the small picture-in-picture image first, sometimes even if it is not in the main picture. This is because the PIP does not have the same image boundries (the console:D) that the main picture does. If your television does not allow you to adjust the picture "size" or "overscan" then I can only suggest you send a letter to the manufacturer and ask about it. DirecTV is very unlikely to change their settings to suit you or me.
Luke

#134 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Both of you are correct. Yes, it's DirecTVs fault, IF you call it a fault. Many televisions are guilty of setting the default overscan to too great a number. This makes it display a larger picture, at the cost of the loss of the edges. CRT TVs were notorious for this. (The HDNet test pattern had a screen designed to show the overscan of your television, alas the test pattern is no longer being shown.:)) Recently, the broadcasters have come under fire (by who, I am not sure) for sending out an overscanned video signal, so they have responded dialing back the amount of overscan. This has resulted in some televisions seeing a scan line or two of the vertical blanking interval on the top of their visible picture.

Yes, you will see it in the small picture-in-picture image first, sometimes even if it is not in the main picture. This is because the PIP does not have the same image boundries (the console:D) that the main picture does. If your television does not allow you to adjust the picture "size" or "overscan" then I can only suggest you send a letter to the manufacturer and ask about it. DirecTV is very unlikely to change their settings to suit you or me.

All tvs and I do believe also all DIRECTV boxes have the ability to have their raster settings changed. Just not by us... :(

#135 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

I blame directv only because I never had this issue till directv broke the resolution messing up so may avrs. I even get the your tv does not support this resolution box for a brief second every time I switch from live to valiant recorded. So I know directv has not fully fixed the issue.

My tv goes wide, zoom, standard etc. wide is the only one that I prefer as the others loose picture and don't fill the whole tv. By of course zoom gets rid of the line up top since it zooms in.

#136 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

My tv goes wide, zoom, standard etc. wide is the only one that I prefer as the others loose picture and don't fill the whole tv. By of course zoom gets rid of the line up top since it zooms in.

That isn't the picture size adjustment I'm talking about. The one I am referring to is the ability to change the size by a tiny increment at a time, maybe one pixel at a time.
Luke

#137 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

That isn't the picture size adjustment I'm talking about. The one I am referring to is the ability to change the size by a tiny increment at a time, maybe one pixel at a time.

Ok cool. None of our tvs have that.

#138 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

HR24-500
Firmware - 0x5d2
Report ID - 20120809-474

The receiver has spontaneously rebooted twice today; once earlier today and just now. The report is from just after the second reboot tonight.

I was watching a program from an HR21-100 when it bounced.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#139 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Word of advice - you are banging your head against a wall trying to assign "blame" for this problem. As much as you wish it to be exclusively a DirecTV issue, wishing does not make it so. It's just like those irritating Dolby Digital and audio sync issues were not exclusive to DirecTV. You'll be much happier, and end up with a solved problem, if you let go of the blame game and avail yourself of the workarounds others more patient than me have been so kind to point out to you.

Oh, and to stay on topic, my DVR's are back to slow response again. I'll repeat my broken record mantra - throw some effing processing power at these things, DirecTV.

I blame directv only because I never had this issue till directv broke the resolution messing up so may avrs. I even get the your tv does not support this resolution box for a brief second every time I switch from live to valiant recorded. So I know directv has not fully fixed the issue.

Edited by JeffBowser, 10 August 2012 - 01:19 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#140 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Word of advice - you are banging your head against a wall trying to assign "blame" for this problem. As much as you wish it to be exclusively a DirecTV issue, wishing does not make it so. It's just like those irritating Dolby Digital and audio sync issues were not exclusive to DirecTV. You'll be much happier, and end up with a solved problem, if you let go of the blame game and avail yourself of the workarounds others more patient than me have been so kind to point out to you.

Oh, and to stay on topic, my DVR's are back to slow response again. I'll repeat my broken record mantra - throw some effing processing power at these things, DirecTV.

I can't do anything about this.
And yes, it is directv fault. That is a fact.
I've never had dd audio sync issues.

spam firewall