Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05D2/0x45D2/0x5D3/0x59D/0x5CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

I can't do anything about this.
And yes, it is directv fault. That is a fact.
I've never had dd audio sync issues.

No, it's not their fault.

There is absolutely nothing in the HDTV standard that syncs audio and video together. It is a flaw in the standard that was set back a dozen years ago.

You have just found this flaw first on DirecTV. Others of us found it first on cable systems or broadcast. Should we blame those media providers just like you blame DirecTV? Seems short sided to me.

You're blaming the cup for the spoiled cream you poured into your coffee.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

No, it's not their fault.

There is absolutely nothing in the HDTV standard that syncs audio and video together. It is a flaw in the standard that was set back a dozen years ago.

You have just found this flaw first on DirecTV. Others of us found it first on cable systems or broadcast. Should we blame those media providers just like you blame DirecTV? Seems short sided to me.

You're blaming the cup for the spoiled cream you poured into your coffee.

This is directv fault period. Why? Because I never had the line on top of the screen till after directv had these resolution problems etc in the last few months. Never before the problems, they're here after. That's pretty simple.

#143 OFFLINE   BobM204

BobM204

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

HR24-500
Firmware -0x5d2

My receiver would not turn on today. No response from remote or power button on the front. I guess I should have tried unplugging it first but I hit the red button. It fixed it for now. I have no idea what caused it. About a week ago I had my system upgraded to a SWM LNB. I only have the one receiver but I've been having a lot of trouble with rain fade so I asked for a dish alignment and new LNB. Not sure if that had anything to do with the power problem today but I doubt it.

#144 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:48 AM

Does anybody know if the unbearably-slow On Demand navigation will be fixed in a future release? The last two releases (my HR21-700 is currently running 0x5d2) have been terrible. I've been able to speed up some of the other slowness issues with a guide flush, but nothing seems to help with the OD screens. Wait times can be as long as two whole minutes between button pushes!

So far I've only seen one other complaint in this thread with this issue. Everything else seems pretty much ok these days, but I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase of my last guide flush (Thu. morning, Aug 9th) where things run fairly decent for a number of days until an event or the PPV graphic strips come along in the guide to lock it up again, usually within a couple of weeks.

Perhaps there's another way to navigate On Demand, maybe online or with a computer ap? I've not checked into that yet.

Now that HBO has opened up its library it would be so nice to be able to use the OD function without needing 15-20 minutes to find and record any particular show, or group of shows!

#145 OFFLINE   steve841

steve841

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

Holy crap! Are they ever going to fix this nightmare?

#146 OFFLINE   brianp6621

brianp6621

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

30 second skip not working on locally inserted commercials has happened on and off a couple times now. There are a few threads around here about it.

This is really starting to piss me off, it has been at least 4-5 or more releases since this "bug" came back (many months now) and it has not been fixed.

Is it now a "feature" and/or have they given up addressing it?

#147 OFFLINE   sjaroslo

sjaroslo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I haven't been very active on this board since I've been pretty happy with DTV for a while--UNTIL this nightmare of 0x5d2 hit my HR21s. I've been a subscriber for over a decade and I can honestly say that this is the worst firmware I have EVER experienced--to the point that I'm starting to entertain other provider's offers. I've never had a release that has gotten me this close to hurling my remote through my Plasma so many times.... I wouldn't even know where to begin to document all of the crap that my machines go through. I also truly cannot understand how DTV can come out with some nice, stable releases and then drop this BOMB on us--how can they break so many things over and over again? Really has me concerned for their Engineering prowess and QA abilities for the future.

Now that I feel a little better for having had that 3-month-pent-up rant off of my chest, I'll actually look around a little and see if there is ANY hope on the horizon. Thanks for listening.

Steve

#148 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

With both my HR23 and HR24 sometimes when I am scrolling through a list of items that SMART SEARCH has produced, both the single line and full page scroll arrows simply refuse to work. Sometimes, though, they work about 30 seconds to a minute later. If I try EXIT to get out of the jam, it doesn't work either. That is, EXIT might work about 30 seconds to a minute later. Sometimes, though, I have to reboot. Also, sometimes the information for certain KEY WORDS takes a full minute to appear. For example CHARLIES ANGELS. With my HR34, the full information for CHARLIES ANGELS appears within 5 seconds. Other KEY WORDS are often equally as slow with my 23 and 24.

#149 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

With both my HR23 and HR24 sometimes when I am scrolling through a list of items that SMART SEARCH has produced, both the single line and full page scroll arrows simply refuse to work. Sometimes, though, they work about 30 seconds to a minute later. If I try EXIT to get out of the jam, it doesn't work either. That is, EXIT might work about 30 seconds to a minute later. Sometimes, though, I have to reboot. Also, sometimes the information for certain KEY WORDS takes a full minute to appear. For example CHARLIES ANGELS. With my HR34, the full information for CHARLIES ANGELS appears within 5 seconds. Other KEY WORDS are often equally as slow with my 23 and 24.

If you have not done this already.
Go into Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences and turn the Scrolling Effects to OFF.
See if this helps.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#150 OFFLINE   steve841

steve841

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

If you have not done this already.
Go into Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences and turn the Scrolling Effects to OFF.
See if this helps.

Good tip.... But no luck. Still major delays....

#151 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Some more things that help speed up reaction times.

Turn Native to OFF,

Check only the 1080i resolution or 720p if your TV is 720p,

Change from HDMI to Component Cables,

Clear the NVRAMM by going to channel 1,
after the sound comes on press the following buttons on the remote fairly quickly and in the correct order. It might take several times for it to work.
Red, red, blue, blue, yellow, green. If you get the bonk sound when you press the red button, wait a few seconds and start again. When it worked you will see ( hard to see ) message saying clearing NVRAMM.

Press the reset button on the receiver and let it restart.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#152 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

My experience with this problem (lockups/slowdowns in search results) is that it's related to on-demand titles showing up in the search.

Anything, and I do mean anything, that has remotely to do with OD causes my dvr (HR20-700 Edit: should read, HR21-700) to completely bug up for up to 2 minutes at a time, so if a program being searched happens to also be available OD this is gonna happen, unfortunately.

Edit: I apologize for this mistake (realized a month later). It's the 21 that's buggered-up. The HR20-700 is actually a stellar performer, as compared to the 21. Its OD screens only take about 1/10 the time to process.

Edited by Delroy E Walleye, 12 October 2012 - 01:45 AM.
Wrong model number given

#153 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Yesterday for some reason the Info Banner got to looking "see thru" on the right side of it. You could see text, etc. thru the banner.
A menu reset fixed all 3, H21, HR23 and HR24 receivers.

#154 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yesterday for some reason the Info Banner got to looking "see thru" on the right side of it. You could see text, etc. thru the banner.
A menu reset fixed all 3, H21, HR23 and HR24 receivers.

I noticed that on my 2 HR20's yestrday, also. I have not tried menu reset, but I will when I get home tonight.

Thanks
Jim

#155 OFFLINE   D_Thomas

D_Thomas

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

I saw this on my HR24-500 last night, except I could "see thru" the entire top of the screen. The info banner was no longer black along the very top of the screen and I could see the channel's program content across the entire top of the screen (especially noticeable when bright content was on the screen). It was like the entire banner had been moved down an inch or two from the top. I checked but no software update. Did a menu reset since I thought maybe it just got a glitch after some storms. This morning I saw the same thing on the other HR24-500.

#156 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

I saw this on my HR24-500 last night, except I could "see thru" the entire top of the screen. The info banner was no longer black along the very top of the screen and I could see the channel's program content across the entire top of the screen (especially noticeable when bright content was on the screen). It was like the entire banner had been moved down an inch or two from the top. I checked but no software update. Did a menu reset since I thought maybe it just got a glitch after some storms. This morning I saw the same thing on the other HR24-500.

Ya know, that's funny, because I just noticed the same thing last night on my two HR24-500's.

Anyone know if this is a glitch?

Everything else seems to be working just fine, so I see no reason to reset the box (which is a PITA).

#157 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Did a menu reset and the channel banner is now back to normal, both boxes.
Jim

#158 OFFLINE   penguin44

penguin44

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Same thing the other night in my hr21. I thought maybe an update came out lol. Then the system reset after a day of having it due to power failure. Back to normal guide.

#159 OFFLINE   Impala1ss

Impala1ss

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

5-6 days ago I started having a new problem and based on beginning of this thread seems to be a Directv handshaking problem. My Harmony 700 turns on Directv HD DVR (24-500), Mitsu. TV, and Denon 2113ci A/V receiver(brand new model). They worked perfectly for several m onths until about 5-6 days ago when they all turned on, and picture/sound came on then the picture and sound go off, 1 second later come on, go off, and keep going that way until I turn the A/V receiver off and on at which time everything works properly.

From this thread it seems to be the handshaking problem many were talking about at the beginning of this thread but why did it work for so long and then problem started? Using the Harmony remote I have rearranged the devices to come on in different order and have delayed the A/V to come on last with a 5 second delay and the problem persists.

Will there be a fix to this from D*? Has it been repaired already? and if so why am I still having the problem?

#160 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

5-6 days ago I started having a new problem and based on beginning of this thread seems to be a Directv handshaking problem. My Harmony 700 turns on Directv HD DVR (24-500), Mitsu. TV, and Denon 2113ci A/V receiver(brand new model). They worked perfectly for several m onths until about 5-6 days ago when they all turned on, and picture/sound came on then the picture and sound go off, 1 second later come on, go off, and keep going that way until I turn the A/V receiver off and on at which time everything works properly.

From this thread it seems to be the handshaking problem many were talking about at the beginning of this thread but why did it work for so long and then problem started? Using the Harmony remote I have rearranged the devices to come on in different order and have delayed the A/V to come on last with a 5 second delay and the problem persists.

Will there be a fix to this from D*? Has it been repaired already? and if so why am I still having the problem?

You may need to get the tv on and up and running before the hr. I think if you can do that you will be ok, not positive.

spam firewall