Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

STL Card Blackout

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larrylll

larrylll

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

My friend lives in Bloomfield IN. Tonight's Cardinal game was blacked out on both FoxMW and MLB. When she called DISH they said MLB controlls blackouts. When she called MLB they said DISH controlled it. This doesn't make sense. She's either in the blackout area and should get it on FoxMW or not in the area and should get it on MLB. Can someone explain what's going on?

#2 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm in St. Louis and watching it on Fox Sports Midwest (DirecTV) so it's not a St. Louis market blackout. I suspect Bloomfield, IN is in the Detroit Tigers market area and that's the reason for the blackout. It's blacked out on Fox Sports Detroit for me.

#3 OFFLINE   larrylll

larrylll

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm in St. Louis and watching it on Fox Sports Midwest (DirecTV) so it's not a St. Louis market blackout. I suspect Bloomfield, IN is in the Detroit Tigers market area and that's the reason for the blackout. It's blacked out on Fox Sports Detroit for me.

Thanks for the reply but I'm sure it's the Cardinals that's causing it. I live 10 miles from her and get the game on Fox MW. DISH includes Fox MW in her package but blacks out the games. The same thing has happened when a Cardinal game is on ESPN and FoxMW at the same time.

#4 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

The MLB network game is controlled by MLB. They have a main and an alternate game, MLB only allows you one game at the same time so if you get one game, so if you get the main game, the alt feed is blacked out. MLB controls this not Dish. It may work differently on Direct due to them having the Extra Innings package. The RSN game is controlled by the team deeming you in their area or out of it. Also, blackouts may occur even if your provider does not carry the channel the game should not be blacked out on. Dish does have a game finder on their website, your friend should start there to see if the channel deemed the local one is on Dish.

#5 OFFLINE   larrylll

larrylll

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Thanks Gary, Dish shows the game blacked out on FOXMW for her Zip code. I would think that means she's out of the local area. What I don't understand is why MLB and ESPN also black out the same game. She's either in the black out area or not. It should be available on one or the other.

#6 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

I live 10 miles from her and get the game on Fox MW.

Did you run your OWN zip code on DISH's (or DTV's) RSN lookup tool, to see where your zip stands.
There has to be a boundary line somewhere; & maybe you're right on it!

Also, who IS your TV provider? If it's cable, their RSN coverage areas vary a little differently, when you get on the outskirts of an RSN boundary line; their boundary lines are determine by the originating headend of the cable system - NOT necessarily by exact zip codes like on satellite.

Thanks Gary, Dish shows the game blacked out on FOXMW for her Zip code. I would think that means she's out of the local area.

Yes, & so does DTV:

http://www.directv.c...assetId=3450006

The 47424 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams. With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

FS Cincinnati HD (Ch. 661) - HD Available
■Reds (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD (Ch. 665) - HD Available
■Chicago Blackhawks (HD Available)
■Cubs (HD Available)
■White Sox (HD Available)

FS Midwest HD (Ch. 671) - HD Available
■Indiana Pacers (HD Available)
■St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

What I don't understand is why MLB and ESPN also black out the same game. She's either in the black out area or not. It should be available on one or the other.

NOT necessarily...depends on which regional rights those networks have. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,537 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

Because of the way satellite works vs cable....

Cable is a local entity, and so it gets the appropriate local feed (if one feed is blacked out) and it is often more transparent.

Satellite goes regionally for the RSNs, and nationally for the main feeds... so a blackout has to occur in certain regions at the receiver... which means there is no way to fix that AND properly black out where they are supposed to.

In these cases, there is usually an alternate feed (you'll have to look around in your EPG. A bunch are in the 450s for example).

So, the main feed might be blacked out via Dish to cover the larger blackout... but then if you are in a DMA that should get the game they blacked out, they make it available on an ALT feed.

Every once in a while, a game is completely blacked out... and that's something Dish needs to work on... but all too often the game is really on and watchable IF you knew where to look for the ALT feeds.

Sometime when you aren't watching a game, take a browse around the "all channel" guide and look for the ALT sport feeds and the ESPN ALT feeds. There is also an MLB ALT feed channel too.

It pays to go ahead and add these to your favorites list so they will be easier to find later.

I've found numerous cases where my FOX RSN will be blacked out BUT the game I wanted to watch is live on an ALT sport feed. I'm sure I missed a bunch of games before I knew to hunt for those.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thanks Gary, Dish shows the game blacked out on FOXMW for her Zip code. I would think that means she's out of the local area. What I don't understand is why MLB and ESPN also black out the same game. She's either in the black out area or not. It should be available on one or the other.

It is possible her rsn is different from yours, but one close by.

#9 OFFLINE   larrylll

larrylll

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

[quote name='dishrich']Did you run your OWN zip code on DISH's (or DTV's) RSN lookup tool, to see where your zip stands.
There has to be a boundary line somewhere; & maybe you're right on it!
I did check my zip and I think you're right we are on the boundry.
Also, who IS your TV provider?

We both have Dish Network

NOT necessarily...depends on which regional rights those networks have.

I think this answers my question. Since they use zip codes I thought it should be cut and dry whether you're in or out. It's a shame a fan can't watch her favorite team the few times they are on because MLB allows a few black holes.

#10 OFFLINE   larrylll

larrylll

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Stewart I will pass this information to my friend

#11 OFFLINE   larrylll

larrylll

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

I want to thank all who replied. This is my first time asking a question and I appreciate the vast knowledge the members pass along.

spam firewall