Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H25-100 receiver and an old 18" sat dish

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Instead of fiddling around with your H25, why don't you just purchase (used) an old compatible SD receiver and add it to your account (for $6/mo) and take it up to camp? I'm sure those brainy CSR's would have no clue that it wouldn't work with your SWM dish and would cheerfully add it to your account.

Irregardless if you transport your H25 to camp or do the above you are in violation of the Terms of Service since all receivers on an account are supposed to be at the same address.

Sigh. Taking a receiver camping with you is fine. Having three receivers at one house, three at another, all active on one account at the same time is not.

A used receiver is probably the best way to go. *BUT* BE SURE TO CALL DIRECTV AND GIVE THEM THE RID BEFORE ANY MONEY CHANGES HANDS!

That way you'll know if you can indeed activate it on your account. A lot of people will try to sell their leased receivers after they cancel DirecTV and they even have balances left on their account, so this is why you must call DirecTV and verify that the receiver is owned/transferrable before you pay for it.

Once you buy a receiver and verify the RID you will need to buy an Access Card for $20. The Access Card team are the ones you really need to talk to, because they have the final say over whether they will allow a receiver to be on your account. A D12 will be no problem, a D10 or a D11 they may question you about but if you explain to them you are using it for camping it should not be an issue.

TL;DR: Buy a used SD receiver. Verify the RID with DirecTV. Much easier than having a full SWM-8 multiswitch just for camping.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Instead of fiddling around with your H25, why don't you just purchase (used) an old compatible SD receiver and add it to your account (for $6/mo) and take it up to camp? I'm sure those brainy CSR's would have no clue that it wouldn't work with your SWM dish and would cheerfully add it to your account.
Irregardless if you transport your H25 to camp or do the above you are in violation of the Terms of Service since all receivers on an account are supposed to be at the same address.

<Hastily makes note that if ThomasM from Milwaukee, WI ever calls in for customer support that I should act as dumb as possible>

And just to clarify, if you are not actively accessing DirecTV service from both locations at the same time then it is perfectly acceptable to have multiple locations on a DirecTV account.

Edited by smitbret, 04 October 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

<Hastily makes note that if ThomasM from Milwaukee, WI ever calls in for customer support that I should act as dumb as possible>

And just to clarify, if you are not actively accessing DirecTV service from both locations at the same time then it is perfectly acceptable to have multiple locations on a DirecTV account.

*snickers* Exactly!
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...