Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wired Ethernet and SWM incompatible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

I had a DirecTV tech out to my house yesterday to diagnose "signal problems" that DirecTV said were the cause of recording glitches on my THR22 (whereas the same recordings on an HR21 were fine.) While signal levels were almost all in the 90s, running the system test on the HR21 reported a problem with the signal.

The issues started about when I put a SWM-8 back into my configuration. I had used this SWM-8 a while back, then removed it for a couple of years. But I didn't associate the glitches with the SWM installation.

The tech said that some of my coax fittings were bad (possible). He was going to replace the LNB and fittings, but I asked if he could swap in a SWMLINE-3 dish instead, and he agreed. He had finished and was about to leave when he asked me if I had the DVRs connected to my home network. I said I did, by Ethernet directly into the boxes. He then told me that direct Ethernet and SWM were "incompatible" and he then gave me a CCK and DECA adapters to replace the direct Ethernet wiring.

I'm not complaining at all about the (apparently free) equipment I got, but the notion of Ethernet causing SWM signals to misbehave was bizarre to me. Is there anything to this? (He also recommended that I stick with wireless for the CCK and not use its Ethernet jack.)

Steve

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'm not complaining at all about the (apparently free) equipment I got, but the notion of Ethernet causing SWM signals to misbehave was bizarre to me. Is there anything to this? (He also recommended that I stick with wireless for the CCK and not use its Ethernet jack.)

The "anything" is he doesn't really grasp the technology.
Ethernet & SWiM have no interaction.
DECA and SWiM don't really either, but the DECA signal is high enough to cause SAT tuner issues if it's not blocked with a filter or a DECA, from getting to the tuner.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, it didn't make sense to me either. But he seemed otherwise competent and gave me all this free stuff I had been considering paying for. (DirecTV had told me that the service call would be free, but I got charged $49.95. All things considered, I'll leave it at that.)

In any event, the HR21's system test is now much happier. Time will tell if my glitches go away.

Steve

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   abenjami

abenjami

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I run a SWM and have 2 HD-DVR's running wired Ethernet and no problems with it.

spam firewall