Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do/Would you pay for locals in addition to your DMA locals (if they were available)?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Do/Would you pay for locals in addition to your DMA locals (if they were available)? (83 member(s) have cast votes)

Do/Would you pay for locals in addition to your DMA locals (if they were available)?

1. Yes -- I currently have my DMA locals (via Dish) and pay extra for distant networks also. (34 votes [40.48%])

Percentage of vote: 40.48%

2. Yes -- I currently have my DMA locals (via Dish) and would also pay extra for distant networks (if I qualified, but I don't). (21 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Yes -- I currently have my DMA locals (via Dish) and would also pay extra for another close DMA if that were an option. [Please choose this if it is true only if #1 and #2 are false for you. In other words, this choice is for people that would NOT pay for distant networks, but would pay for another DMA's locals that was not their DMA.] (9 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

4. No -- I currently have my DMA locals (via Dish) and would not pay extra for another set from somewhere else. (10 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

5. I currently can only get some of the networks from my DMA locals and therefore I am excluded from this poll. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. I currently cannot get my DMA locals over Dish and therefore I am excluded from this poll. (5 votes [5.95%])

Percentage of vote: 5.95%

7. Other (in case something was forgotten and you want to explain it below). (5 votes [5.95%])

Percentage of vote: 5.95%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:35 PM

I am trying to determine how important getting additional locals are to most people. By "additional" locals, I mean assuming that all of the major networks are already available to you over Dish from your local DMA. So, this would mean: do/would you pay to have ANOTHER set of those networks from distant locals or even from another close DMA if they were legally available?

Sorry, but I'd like to exclude people that cannot even get their DMA locals over Dish yet from this poll.

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 01:57 PM

I don't have locals thru Dish tho they are available (MADISON) but if I could pay 5.99 a month for Philadelphia and Washington D.C locals I would till the day I die. I used to have both a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

#3 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:06 PM

I don't have locals thru Dish tho they are available (MADISON) but if I could pay 5.99 a month for Philadelphia and Washington D.C locals I would till the day I die. I used to have both a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

Yes, but that's a bit different and why I excluded those that can't get their locals currently. The question is: if you were paying $6/month for your DMA locals if they were offered -- would you pay another $6/month to get the same channels from either one of the distant networks or a DMA next door to you?

- John...

#4 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:11 PM

Heck yeah!
Right now I am in the Duluth, MN DMA, which doesnt get locals (yet..damn it Charlie..you said in December they were coming January..but they werent listed on the chat). However, I moved to my lake house, which does get Mpls locals and FOX distant. Once Duluth becomes available, I have to decide if I want another acct with Duluth locals on it or move back to my billing address and lose Mpls & FOX.

tough decisions.......what sucks is the cable company in the town where my lake house is has both Mpls locals and Duluth locals (minus CBS)

#5 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:16 PM

I can see people wanting two DMAs if they are near to both -- but I'm not entirely clear why people would pay for their local DMA plus distant networks... What does a feed out of NY or LA, for example, supply to you that you aren't getting out of your DMA locals that would make you pay more to get another NBC, CBS, ABC, or FOX?

I currently have distant networks out of NY -- and my DMA locals will be in as soon as my SuperDish is installed. At that point, I'll immediately drop the distants because I just don't see any reason to pay an extra $6/month to keep them. What am I missing?

- John...

#6 OFFLINE   speedy882001

speedy882001

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:41 PM

I pay $12 a month to get locals from TWCable because Dish does not offer locals to me. With TWC I do get two of each network(ABC,CBS,NBC,UPN and one FOX) as well as a few other shopping chanels and local access chanels.

Would be glad to drop it if Dish would offer locals.

#7 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,824 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:46 PM

I would like to get the San Francisco locals in addition to the current Sacramento locals.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,357 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:46 PM

Locals not available, uplinked since September to 105º but not available. Promised by end of January in the December Charlie Chat, but not available. Grumble.

I do OK off the air and don't get any out of DMA channels Grade B, so locals under my policy would be the ones I can get OTA with a coathanger. (Well, almost.:) ) But given the choice of having a second network I would choose the next DMA over or up, not NY or other distants. Cable in my town is local locals only, but I've lived in border towns where we got both sets and loved the variety.

IF I could get my locals and another market's I'd probably subscribe ... but I'm not paying for just MY locals or "distants". It's not worth it to me.

JL

#9 Guest_Ha Ha_*

Guest_Ha Ha_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:03 PM

Thanks jgoggan for starting this poll figures should be interesting. The reason I want NY is the fact that my local ABC CBS NBC & FOX have a tendency to preempt network programming because THEY feel the show in question is objectionable or want to air some local crap during prime time. I feel real sorry for the people who live in SLC UT they got it bad from what I heard the
church owns an affiliate and they are always preempting this or that. LA I want more for the time shift ER or Without a trace. Having LA I don't have to choose I can see them both. As for My wish list of locals I would pay to get locals from Miami El Paso And Tampa/St.Pete. cities from my childhood and a little piece of home from hundreds of miles away. I wish any DMA was available to any one who wanted it but imagine the bandwidth needed to do that.

#10 OFFLINE   Bobby94928

Bobby94928

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:54 PM

I can see people wanting two DMAs if they are near to both -- but I'm not entirely clear why people would pay for their local DMA plus distant networks... What does a feed out of NY or LA, for example, supply to you that you aren't getting out of your DMA locals that would make you pay more to get another NBC, CBS, ABC, or FOX?

I currently have distant networks out of NY -- and my DMA locals will be in as soon as my SuperDish is installed. At that point, I'll immediately drop the distants because I just don't see any reason to pay an extra $6/month to keep them. What am I missing?

- John...

I live in California in the San Francisco DMA. I have locals, plus distants from LA and NY. Why you ask? NY lets me watch prime time beginning at 6PM. Both of the distants allow me to watch sports that are unavailable from the SF locals. I am able to watch live events, live, from NY. We are time shifted in the west. An example is, lets say, the Academy Awards. They start at 8PM. I am able to pick up the NY feed and start at 5PM and see the live event. If something bleepable happens the west coast feed is bleeped and the live feed often isn't. Just a few reasons.
Bobby C

#11 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:11 PM

What does a feed out of NY or LA, for example, supply to you that you aren't getting out of your DMA locals that would make you pay more to get another NBC, CBS, ABC, or FOX?

A method to resolve scheduling conflicts. If you don't want to miss a favorite show you would otherwise have to have another receiver (or dual tuner model).

Picture and sound quality. Based on some of the complaints, they aren't the murky mess a few of the locals from Dish are. Also, many locals are still delivering mono or simulated stereo.

No pre-emption of "offensive" shows or other failure to deliver the network schedule.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#12 OFFLINE   freakmonkey

freakmonkey

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:17 PM

I would pay for more than the 3 DMA's That I get currently. I get L.A. N.Y. and JAX FL. I want Dallas Atlanta and Chicago but E* says I can only have up to 2 distant net. I wish so wish Miami Ft.Lauderdale was not on the spots or I would have those on a separate account yes I would get a separate account to add a receiver with Miami locals if I could get them. One poll question I found lacking was would you move to get distant nets. It certainly is talked about a lot here and on other forums so if you did move like me to get locals post it.

#13 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:02 PM

I get my Greensboro locals, NY distants and LA distants from Directv. They're worth every penny.

I wish Directv could also let me get (for a buck or 2 per DMA) every other market available via spot beam coverage for my house. Currently that would include Charlotte NC and Asheville NC/Greeneville SC, with Roanoke VA, Columbia SC, Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN and Tri-cities TN possibly coming soon depending on the size of the spots.
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#14 OFFLINE   psycaz

psycaz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:51 PM

I wouldn't mind distant locals for times I forget something is on and didn't set the pvr, or if I get a rain outage during a show...

#15 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:18 PM

Bring on the channels. :D

#16 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:55 PM

Wow. I am actually surprised that so many people are willing to pay extra for the distants.

To be honest, I think the readership here is a different group of people than most though -- more technically knowledgeable and willing to do such things.

My guess is that the "average Joe" would be satisfied with their DMA's locals and would not pay additional to get another FOX/CBS/NBC/ABC via distant networks.

I think the "wanting another close DMA" is a different issue completely...

Interesting stuff!

- John...

#17 OFFLINE   awax

awax

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:22 PM

Well when I get my SD installed I will have locals from Ft. Smith/Fayetteville, Ark. but I can get 3 other DMA's on Cox cable or OTA, so I would like to get those channels as well.
Major Networks Available on Cox Cable or OTA here.

ABC
KHOG-Fayetteville, AR
KTUL-Tulsa, OK

CBS
KFSN-Ft. Smith, AR
KOLR-Springfield, MO

NBC
KFAA-Fayetteville, AR
KSNL-Joplin, MO

Fox
KPBI-Fayetteville, AR
KOKI- Tulsa, OK (at night OTA)

#18 OFFLINE   Broadband Lab Rat

Broadband Lab Rat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:51 PM

Even with a PVR, having networks offered twice two hours apart makes it possible to record two things that are on at the same time on different networks thanks to the time shift.

#19 OFFLINE   freakmonkey

freakmonkey

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:52 PM

Wow. I am actually surprised that so many people are willing to pay extra for the distants.

To be honest, I think the readership here is a different group of people than most though -- more technically knowledgeable and willing to do such things.

My guess is that the "average Joe" would be satisfied with their DMA's locals and would not pay additional to get another FOX/CBS/NBC/ABC via distant networks.

I think the "wanting another close DMA" is a different issue completely...

Interesting stuff!

- John...

Befor I made the switch from cable I was an average Joe still am My switch was not willingly it was beacuase the rural neighborhood I really moved to from Miami did not have the digital cable I took for granted. I looked for alternitves and found E*. That was before locals were available available in Jacksonville. It burned me up. I found out I could ask for a waiver and of course they were denied then I read shiva and reread it & spent countless hours on the phone with E* and my locals to no avail :bang I then realized I could "move" and I havent lived in Jacksonville since I moved here 3 years ago. I am a tv geek so when I started visiting forums and realized that E* has the technology in place to bring me over 100 stations from the south east and the CONUS channels well lets just it would be so cool to have those channels at my disposal. But hey that is just a pipe dreamlike the flying car or the transporter from star trek.

#20 OFFLINE   EchoDork

EchoDork

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:39 AM

Welcome to bureaucratic red tape. From tech support experience, I'd say probably 70% of people who get locals would probably be interested in getting MORE locals. Sadly, it's not even E*'s decision... trust me, if Charlie could take more of your money every month, he certainly would. It's not a broadcast or a technology issue, it's just a legal one. The affiliates dictate which market you're in and whether you qualify for DMAs or not. They just tell E* what YOU qualify for, and E* has the option of selling them to you. Waivers go directly through the affiliates, and again, E* just hears the yes or no.

I'd love to get Washington, Baltimore, and New York locals. Tell that to the local car dealerships, though. Tell them I'd rather watch The Simpsons with New York commercials than view their crappy advertising, and see what they say. :sure:

spam firewall