Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Network Black screen on Joeys after 5 minutes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DT32997

DT32997

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have a 2 Hopper, 2 Joey system installed. Each Joey links to a separate Hopper. When connected to Home Network with Wifi or HIC , after 5 minutes of watching, both Joeys go to black screen at the same time, whether watching live programming, DVR or On Demand. If I change channel, it comes back on for another 5 minutes then goes black again. If I disconnect system from home network, both Joeys work fine without interruption. Tried putting 1 Hopper and 1 Joey each on their own Dish and solo node but problem still happens if connected to home network.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Have you tried connection through a different router?

#3 OFFLINE   DT32997

DT32997

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

Have not tried through a different router. I will give that a try and see what happens.

#4 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can assist you with this. Thank you!

#5 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have seen this occur as well. I'm assuming it's a software bug.

#6 OFFLINE   cfendya

cfendya

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm having the exact same issue. Raymond could you please describe a fix? I do not have enough posts to PM you otherwise I would have ;)

Thanks in advance!!

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

or overheating of h2k ...

#8 OFFLINE   cfendya

cfendya

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

I'm having the exact same issue. Raymond could you please describe a fix? I do not have enough posts to PM you otherwise I would have ;)

Thanks in advance!!

So I think I've resolved the issue at the same time have been able to maintain my home network connection.

At first I attempted just disconnecting the home network as the Op mentioned originally this stopping the blank screens. For a while this worked for me but then it started happening again. Not exactly the same symptom but the Joey would come up with the "Searching for Hopper XXXXX" screen. After a long minute tv viewing would resume.

I didn't know it but found some other threads where people were just using the ethernet opposed to coax for the Joey connections. In fact one user indicated that since he made the switch to just using ethernet, that he has not had a single problem with Joey's and Hopper connectivity.

So being that I was still having issues, figured why not try. I unplugged the Joey from power and made the switch. After plugging everything back in, the entire rest of the night, I didn't have one black screen or "Searching for Hopper" screen. My plan is to do the same thing on one of my other Joey's today in hope similar results are found.

I'll report back if anything new comes about but as of now this will be my new mode of operation.

FWIW...I've read this is not a "Supported" mode by Dish and that there is a chance Dish may disable this in the future but for now, this is much better than all the instability. Also, if you don't have ethernet available at a Joey, you could also use a wireless USB adapter. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...