Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo Receiver Wattage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

I have an Onkyo TX-NR5007 A/V receiver. I've attached a pic from the manual. Is this REALLY what it's drawing for power?!?! If so, I assume that's probably Blu-Ray only, 1080p, Dolby True HD/DTS HD-Master 9.1? Any idea ABOUT what wattage it would draw without the speakers connected, and using it only as an HDMI switch/video converter/enhancer?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

If yoou really want to know the power draw, get yourself a Kill-A-Watt EZ. It's a handy digital power meter that you can get from Lowe's or Amazon, amongst others. You should be able to find it for around $25.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

That looks about right.

The source makes no difference regarding your amp's power consumption. An amplifier is a strange device. It isn't like a car which uses no gas when it's parked in the garage. A better analogy is an escalator. It's running whether there are any people on it or not. Yes, an escalator's motors will draw more current when it's loaded with the weight of people but not that much more. The same thing is true with an amp. It uses 70-80% of its full power consumption even at idle, and in a home theater set-up, make that power consumption times five. It gets even worse. If your amp is a seven channel amp and you only have five speakers hooked up to it, it's still running all seven channels. You are powering two channels of amplification you aren't even using.

As for the last line of your attachment, Kevin, one of the basic electronic formulas is P = I x E, or power equals current times voltage. If your amp is drawing 11.8 amps of current, which is high but not outrageously so as I have an amp that also draws that much current, multiply that by 115 volts of AC power. You end up with 1357 watts of power consumed, which is more than the spec.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Wow! And we pay like 15 cents per kwh. That is mental!

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Wow! And we pay like 15 cents per kwh. That is mental!

This is the same reason that people who put huge stereo systems in their cars wonder why they burn out alternators and batteries without doing specific things. The day I see a "Green" amp is the day I know marketing has gone too far.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

As for the last line of your attachment, Kevin, one of the basic electronic formulas is P = I x E, or power equals current times voltage. If your amp is drawing 11.8 amps of current, which is high but not outrageously so as I have an amp that also draws that much current, multiply that by 115 volts of AC power. You end up with 1357 watts of power consumed, which is more than the spec.

That takes me back to AP Physics. Then I went to one week of Physics 51 in college, dropped the course, and realized I was going to be a fuzzy.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

spam firewall