Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HDTV in a Box?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cyberized

cyberized

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 02:59 PM

By reading here I have found out that the 2 Models of HDTV Sets offered by Echostar are manufactured by RCA. I wish two things that DISH would do for potential buyers: 1) give us the Specs of each model, and 2) the equivalent RCA Model #; in order that the buyer can understand what they are purchasing for $999. PLEASE don't keep the buyer in the BLIND.

TKS Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:04 PM

3) GIVE ME A FREAKIN INSTALLATION DATE!!!

A company called AEI in Green Bay, WI has not been given a date by DishNEtwork when they will be shipped 34" and 40" Monitors. They are just getting a new shipment of 811's tomorrow.

#3 OFFLINE   knoxlex

knoxlex

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 05:06 PM

I agree with you. I have had an HDTV-in-a-box ordered since 3rd week in December, hoping to get it by the end of this week. I am getting the 34". It is basically an RCA D34W20. The rear projection unit is the D40W20. You can get the manuals on the RCA website. I have seen the 34" at a local retailer and also browsed through a hard copy of the Dish version of the manual at the store. All of the inputs on the back of the TV (34") look identical to the RCA. My impression after a few weeks of putting together information is that the only difference is probably the proprietary Dish-DVI connection. That is, only the Dish receivers will work with the DVI for HD input. However, it appears that HD signals will be accepted into the two component inputs of the RCA. In fact, the Dish store had a non-DVI receiver hooked up this way to display HD. Hope this helps.

#4 OFFLINE   DishDude1

DishDude1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:53 PM

ehren, I think we all know how your waiting for your tv.

#5 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:50 PM

I agree with you. I have had an HDTV-in-a-box ordered since 3rd week in December, hoping to get it by the end of this week. I am getting the 34". It is basically an RCA D34W20. The rear projection unit is the D40W20.

Can you confirm how you know that? (Don't get me wrong -- I believe you, but would like to know that you are certain and know your source.) I've been asking all over the place and no one has been able to give me a model number on the RPTV -- just that it is RCA...

Thanks!

- John...

#6 OFFLINE   knoxlex

knoxlex

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:23 PM

John,

I have done more research on the 34" D34W20 and am positive it is the Dish television, less research for the D40W20. But the Thompson/RCA D40W20 certainly has the same specs, dimensions, appearance as the Dish RPTV. Go to

http://www.vssll.com/dishtvs.html

for a good picture of the Dish TV, and compare it to a picture of the RCA (there are better pictures of the RCA than on the RCA site). Again, I haven't seen the RPTV in a local Dish store but it sure appears to be this one.

#7 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:33 AM

Ok, thanks for the info.

the only difference is probably the proprietary Dish-DVI connection. That is, only the Dish receivers will work with the DVI for HD input.

Also, do you know the above to be the case? Did you just hear it from some retail people or actually find specs about it? I'm quite curious if the TVs really won't accept a DVI input from a non-Dish source (i.e. straight from a DVD player, for example -- or other set-top box).

- John...

#8 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:52 AM

That is, only the Dish receivers will work with the DVI for HD input.

If this is true, I would STAY AWAY. DVI is a great connection for the new up-converting DVD players. It'll probably also be the best connection for upcoming HD-DVD players.

Have they mentioned if the DVI supports HDCP?

#9 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:25 AM

I called the HDTV number at Dish and asked about this. The CSR (who certainly may not know what he was talking about), confirmed that the DVI port was indeed Dish specific. He said that it was "encrypted in a way that only Dish receivers could be connected to it." He just said to use the component inputs on the TV for other devices -- which is reasonable -- but I'd still rather have a DVI that I know isn't tied to Dish.

I'm really curious if it is true. Guess we'll have to wait until someone with the TV and a non-Dish DVD source tries it to be sure -- regardless of what any Dish person says. :) I won't believe it until it's been tried...

- John...

#10 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:05 AM

What can I say, I am pulling a Andy Dufresne from Shawshank Redemption where if I keep calling and e-mailing Dish they MAY give me an answer. The deal ends Jan 31st!!!

#11 OFFLINE   sbill67

sbill67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:54 PM

ehren, I think we all know how your waiting for your tv.

I CAN VOUCH FOR THAT!

#12 OFFLINE   wickedtao

wickedtao

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:46 PM

I called the HDTV number at Dish and asked about this. The CSR (who certainly may not know what he was talking about), confirmed that the DVI port was indeed Dish specific. He said that it was "encrypted in a way that only Dish receivers could be connected to it." He just said to use the component inputs on the TV for other devices -- which is reasonable -- but I'd still rather have a DVI that I know isn't tied to Dish.

I'm really curious if it is true. Guess we'll have to wait until someone with the TV and a non-Dish DVD source tries it to be sure -- regardless of what any Dish person says. :) I won't believe it until it's been tried...

- John...

inside source says the first models of HDTV in a box, the DVI connections will NOT be dish specific but the latter models DVI connection will be. My advice is to check it first.

#13 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:24 PM

Well, people that actually have one of the 40" TVs are telling me that the TV actually shows "Dish DVI" as a source on the screen. Therefore, it appears that even the first ones have a firmware that is "aware" that it is DVI.

I haven't found anyone with a TV that has a non-Dish DVI source yet though -- to test if it actually is Dish-specific or not...

- John...

#14 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:58 PM

Besides a handful of DVD players, someone could also try connecting the E* HDTV to a Computer via the DVI port (also a VERY useful feature).

spam firewall