Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is DIRECTV Retreating On 3D TV?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

ABC did MNF in HD one year, and then did it in SD for the next two or three years, till they could upgrade everything properly and do it all season long in HD. Sometimes, you have to throw a first effort out there real aggressive, then back off and let everyone else catch up, so you can actually have enough to show.... I think this will be more niche than anything, but I still expect it to be much bigger in 3 more years than it is today. Content is king, so till the producers figure out how to make money on it, and see it will work, they weren't going to throw a ton of effort behind it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm no Swanni, but I felt 3D was going to be a huge flop from the get go. They simply tried to push it on us far too soon. When it was introduced less than 50% of American's had switched over to HD. For those of us that had made the upgrade to HD, the joy of seeing movies, sports, etc., like never before was enough to keep us going for years. It was ridiculous to think we would immediately turn around a repurchase far more expensive equipment while still being in the bliss of the newly discovered HD. And then there's the matter of a very poor economy, mixed with the SD masses that had yet to even make the move to HD. They weren't about to drop a bunch of money on 3D technology when they hadn't even bothered with HD yet. And what's the protocol: Am I supposed to supply 3D glasses for my guests, or are they supposed to bring their own?

Everybody I know gives me their 3D glasses that they get in the theater. I have a box full of them.

#23 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

I have visited a few electronics stores looking at televisions, and it just is my perception that they have de-emphasized the 3D aspect of televisions. I had a salesman a few months back pitch to me a television that he was touting its picture quality, but barely mentioned that it was a 3D set.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

#24 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

The 3D fad goes down the tubes once again. No shocker to me! Till it's glassless it will never catch on.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#25 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

The 3D fad goes down the tubes once again. No shocker to me! Till it's glassless it will never catch on.

well are glasses are ok in a big screen movie theater but not so much at home.

also most movies are in 1:30 - 2:30 rage vs say 24/7 3D and some people can't take 3D for more then a small amount of time with getting a headache.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#26 ONLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

Even when glassless, many people find watching 3D for multiple hours "tiring".

It is a niche thing, amazing for certain presentations, but as a regular viewing medium, it is unlikely to work out.

It has no chance to dominate until it becomes glassless and premium free (no extra charge for a 3D TV), and even then, I wouldn't put any money on it.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#27 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Content is king, so till the producers figure out how to make money on it, and see it will work, they weren't going to throw a ton of effort behind it.

And these are the same producers that just spent $$$$ upgrading everything to HD. Does anyone think they are going to run out and do it again for 3D?

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#28 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

I've got the 3D TV and two pair of glasses, and have for well over a year. Actually, coming up on two years now. Used it maybe three times, and most recently not in several months.

3D is really for the movie theater owners and movie producers trying to draw people to theaters. People who saw it in 3D at the theater, might want it in 3D at home.

It might be cool for some sports, but that'll still be niche.

Where would NBC broadcast a primetime dramatic 3D series?
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#29 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

I think quite a few of the households with a 3D set actually have no interest in 3D.

3D was not a real selling point when I purchased my TV. I have enjoyed the 3D shows and blu-rays that I have seen, but I probably watch one 3D show per month, partly because the selection is not so great, and partly because dealing with the glasses is such a pain.
Current Configuration:
HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A710BL
Samsung UN60D7000V
Klipsch RCW-5 in-wall speakers x4
Klipsch RC-53 center
Klipsch KW-100 sub

#30 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

3D was not a real selling point when I purchased my TV. I have enjoyed the 3D shows and blu-rays that I have seen, but I probably watch one 3D show per month, partly because the selection is not so great, and partly because dealing with the glasses is such a pain.

Same here. My wife and I can count the number of times we've used the 3D ability on our TV's on our hands and have fingers left over.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

And these are the same producers that just spent $$$$ upgrading everything to HD. Does anyone think they are going to run out and do it again for 3D?

They already are in the movie industry. Heck, look at what just happened to g I joe. I think 3d will be limited to movies and some sports for a while. There is a natural progression of replace equipment in general,so it will take that for many others to go 3d. That's a many years process for non specialized things. It's possible that will happen along with 4k. Combining the switch to those two things at the same time in ten years or so would be the smartest thing to do I would imagine overall.

#32 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

I also bought a TV that has 3D, but 3D was not the reason I bought it. Most new high end Plasma TVs are only available with 3D, which makes sense because it does not cost any more to make a plasma TV 3D compatible. LED TVs are a different story.

Personally, I do not mind the glasses, but I agree that other than a few movies, sporting events, and travelogue type documentaries, there is not much that I care to watch in 3D.

I doubt that glassesless 3D on a screen larger than a smartphone will be feasible in the near future. Even if it was, there will be little content worth the expense of producing in a format that can be shown on glassesless 3D.

#33 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Im surprised more peeps dont use the 2D to 3D conversion option on the tv.

Not as good as true 3D obviously but the star wars blus for example do look really cool that way.

#34 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

For me it is 2 things. My 60" is 18mos old and my 55" is 3yrs old. Neither are 3D and I am not interested in buying new tvs all over again.

Also, I dont think I have ever been watching anything on tv and thought to myself "if this was only in 3D".

Until both of those change, I dont see 3D in my future.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#35 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

Is DIRECTV Retreating On 3D TV?

By Phllip Swann | a.k.a. "Swanni" (06.22.2012)
@ http://www.tvpredict...m/d3d062212.htm

http://www.sfgate.co...ime-3659309.php

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#36 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Wasn't that channel paid for by Panasonic ? I could be wrong, but that's the way I remember it.

If that then is indeed the case, wouldn't it be Panasonic's support that's in question ?

spam firewall