Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Duo 322 using legacy dish 500 lnb?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I apologize if this is not the right location to post this question, but I am not a Dish Network customer. My neighbor is having problems and his call for the protection plan repair is seheduled a week out. I'm pretty sure his problem is the DishPro+ lnb, but the only part I have around is a legacy 500. Is there any way to connect/setup this so that he can have TV for the next week? His wife is driving him crazy and I'm trying to help (also, we're about in the boonies as you can be). Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Ok - assuming he has a 322 and is pointing at 119 and 110,
with Legacy LNBs you would need 2 Dual LNBs and TWO SW21 switches for the 322

With that DPP Twin, he needs the DPP Twin plus a DishPro Separator OR 2 cables coming from that DPP Twin to the 322 (one cable for each tuner.

A LEGACY Twin LNB would require TWO cables.

So would a LEGACY QUAD LNB.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Scooper is right on the money. I would add that if there IS only 1 cable coming down from the dish to the DishPro Seperator behind the receiver, you would need to remove the seperator an connect the cable directly to the reciever. You of course would only get 1 tuner out of this setup, a 2nd cable would need to be run if you wanted both tuners to work. But 1 is better than none. I can't remember if there are RCA outputs for TV2, if there are, hook those up to the local tv and plug the 1 cable from the dish to tuner 2. That way you can use the TV2 remote from both locations an still change the channel. Both would be sharing the same tuner though. I believe the receiver will work w/ only 1 tuner.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

You may also run into a DishPro TWIN or a DishPro QUAD LNB. Both of these would also require TWO cables from the LNB to the 322.

#5 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

First, thanks to both of you for your kind assistance. As I said, I'm Dish Network stupid, I'm a Directv person (BOO!). People give me parts and I save them so I'm working with what I can find. One further question, the legacy 110/119 dish 500 LNB is a single, so if I run the two outputs into a SW21 and connect it to one cable going inside (don''t know yet what is typically behind the TV, but there are two cables routed inside) to satellite 1 in, he should be able to get signal on one TV. Anyway that's what I took away from your replies and that would be sufficient for a week and we could all be heroes. Thanks again.

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

What exact LNB do you have ? Please describe the outside, if it covers both slots or only 1, and how many outputs it has.

If there is a "Single", it will only pickup 110 OR 119 - not both. And an SW21 is NOT a splitter / combiner - it is a SWITCH, and it has to be hooked up with the 2 SAT input goin to the LNBs and the receiver going to the satellite receiver. You also CANNOT use a SPLITTER between the receiver and the LNBs.

#7 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Two LNBs, 110 and 119. Both only have a single output from each satellite. Identical in exterior appearance to the DishPro+. So for simplicity sake, say I hooked output from 119 LNB and output from 110 LNB to the SW21 and them ran one cable to the SAT1 input on the reciever, he should be able to receive signal on one TV connected to the output from TV1. I think that is what you are asking. I can post a picture, but it'd be a chore, air card internet connection and all. Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yes. Assuming of course it is 2 individual (seperate) LNBs and not 1 large LNB that can view both 119 & 110, and of course that they ARE legacy LNB's (dont say dishpro anywhere).

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

If both LNBs are a bit less than half the width of the DPPTwin, and they don't say DishPro - what you said is correct.

#10 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Two LNBS's made together, not labeled DishPro+. Model #BS1D1UP201M. Just guessing that they are separate LNB's made together. Helped a guy remove this from his house he bought about 10 years ago, was mounted to a pole about 15 feet up from a two story roof (way up there). Don't know exactly how it was adjusted or how well it worked, but it was guy wired and everything. Thanks again for your assistance and patience.

#11 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

When you are saying "made together" - are you saying they are in a single housing that looks exactly like the DPP Twin except there is only 2 OUTPUTs on it ? Or are they 2 separate housings that are each less than half the width of the DPP+ Twin ?

A "Single Housing" is implying that you are looking at a TWIN LNB, and as such, with TWO cable down to the 322, both tuners could be recieving both 110 and 119. Doesn't matter whether they are Dishpro or Legacy at this point.

I could really use that link to the different LNBs about now....

Edited by scooper, 23 June 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Yes, exact exterior appearance to the DishPro+, but connections inside have one cable going to the LNB labeled 119 on the leftmost position and the other cable going to the one labeled 119 on the rightmost position. The DishPro+ has both cables going to one side with one unused connection on the rightmost side. The reason I suspect the LNB is bad is because when I was checking voltages, it was extremely warm (even though it's hot in Texas) and when I tilted it, water ran out the top.

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

OK - so you ARE looking at a TWIN - whether it is Legacy or DishPro.
Run a 2nd cable from the dish to the receiver, disconnect all cables to the receiver, run a check switch, then unpluf the 322. Hook up the cables to the LNBS and the 322, then run another Check Switch, and then each tuner on the 322 should be receiving prograommaing on both 110 and 119.

#14 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Okay, I told you I was Dish Network stupid. I'll try to draw a diagram as there are already two cables going from the dish to the receiver. I'll have to go over tomorrow and look for myself, confirm all details from receiver model to what's behind the cabinet and how it's hooked up. Installation is from a former Directv to Dish Network with boxes, ground blocks everywhere and in line unions. It's what I would call a real mess. But yes, the replacement I have for temporary service, is a twin with what I think had a SW21 switch originally attached. I loaned him a lot of my DVD's to get his wife through the evening, but I'll get back tomorrow with more complete information so maybe we can right it up so they can watch True Blood tomorrow night. Thanks again and I'll post back.

#15 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

If I'm reading you right, you said there was just 1 cable coming down from the dish, and 2 cables going into the house. To me, this sounds like 1 cable is feeding the signal from the dish, and the 2nd is going to the TV2 location somewhere else in the house. So if I were you, I wouldnt worry too much about re-wiring the system cuz there could be diplexers somewhere or splitters or who knows.. If it works, leave it be. Simply install the LNB loaner, connect the 1 cable at the dish to that LNB, disconnect the DishPro seperator behind the receiver and connect the cable direct to the receiver. That'll give you picture on 1 tuner. You won't need the SW21 switch.

of course the original problem might not be the LNB, could be a line of sight issue or a misalignment. If the loaner LNB doesnt work, try the check switch idea scooper suggested. WHen you run checkswitch w/ no cable installed, it resets the receivers switch matrix. Sometimes, not always, if you dont reset it, when running new switch checks, the receivers gets confused :) If its out of alignment, an nothings in the Line of sight, you could try a slight adjustment of the dish. The 500s are not hard to align. If you don't wanna mess w/ it, leave it for the pro.

If there are 2 cables coming down from the dish, and 2 going straight into the receiver, then the simple LNB switch should solve the issue, assuming of course the LNB is the original problem.

Edited by shadough, 23 June 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

Not to be too stupid here... but if you're admittedly "Dish Network stupid" (I would consider myself similarly DirecTV stupid by the way so no insult meant here)... what makes you so sure the problem is his LNB?

What actual equipment (if you can tell) does he have and what are his actual symptoms? Also, has he had Dish long? and is this a sudden problem or one that was intermittent and became worse?

More info might save you a lot of trouble if it isn't even LNB related trouble. I can think (generically speaking) of a bunch of problems that have similar symptoms but are not LNB issues.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Moved to the Dish general forum (as opposed to the miscellaneous receiver area) until we know more about the actual problem and to get more eyes on the thread that can possibly help.

#18 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

He did say he got water out of the LNB - so I would tend to agree...

#19 OFFLINE   parts.man

parts.man

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yep, a little water poured out when I tilted it to take the cables off and see if voltage was present. Also, two cables run from dish LNB's underground, around the house through various ground blocks, exposed and in boxes, then behind wood added during a renovation and them some how gets in the house. I have not looked recently behind the cabinet where connection to the receiver is made but I believe that there are straight runs of two cables from the dish connected to the SAT1 and SAT2 connections (not sure about this though). There are two TV's, one directly connected and the other through RF modulator to the second story TV. If this were Directv, I have enough parts to install a system that would meet today's current technology--however Dish Network, don't really know squat except that which translates to dish pointing. As I said, when I removed the LNB it was pretty HOT even for Texas afternoons (and it's in the shade). I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks again.

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

I missed the part about the water... that doesn't sound good.

spam firewall