Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R22-100 question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robertpil

robertpil

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Just received an R22 from Solid Signal, hooked it up and activated it. The firmware is 0x22d. The newest is supposed to be 0x5cd. Tried to do a force download, it recognized that 0x5cd was available as an update but it just stayed at 0% downloading and eventually went back to live broadcast. Anything I am doing wrong ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Not positive but think that it will update itself in the near future. Maybe best to just let it do its thing for the next 24 hrs.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#3 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

I think the analogy of the software versions being like the layers of an onion are an apt image - the current software requires the previous updates as support. I rather think that if you could force the overlay of the current without the previous ones, it would lock it up pretty well - you couldn't go forward and you couldn't go back. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me :)

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

I've taken owned receivers out of storage that have not been active for two or three years (and were many software versions behind) and they update just fine. That isn't the problem.

The problem is, not all software for all receiver models is in the stream all the time. They change them out for various reasons. I agree, it should self update in the next day or two.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,965 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, had the same issue with my brother's new R22 he purchased from Solid Signal.

Found out the FW for the older receivers is not in the satellite stream all the time to help reduce data overhead. However the receivers usually update on their own within 24 hours.

From a DIRECTV 5/29/12 Tech Tip:

Not on-air 24/7 (download is not available 24/7) – Do NOT force software download. Forcing the
download will cause the download to sit at 0 until the download times out:
D10-100 & D10-300, All D11, All R15 / R16, All H20, 21, 23, All HR20, 21, 22, 23, All R22

On-air 24/7 – OK to force download:
D10-200, D12, H24, H25, HR24, HR34, THR22

Or you can randomly monitor the FW Watcher for your model's most recent NR firmware to appear in the stream and then try and force a download. But that's rather cumbersome.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, had the same issue with my brother's new R22 he purchased from Solid Signal.

Found out the FW for the older receivers is not in the satellite stream all the time to help reduce data overhead. However the receivers usually update on their own within 24 hours.

From a DIRECTV 5/29/12 Tech Tip:

Or you can randomly monitor the FW Watcher for your model's most recent NR firmware to appear in the stream and then try and force a download. But that's rather cumbersome.

• 0x05CD
  • tp25 — 16.0 MB
  • 14:49:34 06/23/2012
Looks like it stopped an hour ago.

And it's back: 16:42:18 06/23/2012

Edited by veryoldschool, 23 June 2012 - 05:43 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   robertpil

robertpil

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Okay, this is strange, but maybe some of you tech savvy people can shed some light on this for me. Everytime I tried to do an update, when it got to the "searching for new software" screen, the other receivers in the house would say "searching for signal" and the picture would go out on them. So on the back of my new R22, I switched the tuner 1 and tuner 2 inputs (coaxial)and the pictures came back on on both receivers and my new R22 started downloading the new software. Very strange to me but I don't know too much about this tech stuff.

Edited by robertpil, 23 June 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

It sounds like you may have split a coax that shouldn't have been split. What type of dish do you have? Be specific - i.e., Slimline 3 LNB SWM or Slimline 5 LNB non-SWM or Phase III, or ???. Check
Dish and multiswitch FAQ: http://hr20.dbstalk.......able FAQ.pdf for descriptions and details. Really important as to whether or not it is SWM.

Second, where and how did you hook up the coax for the R22? What's on the other end of it (where does it go to)?

Third, what satellite setup settings did you use?

#9 OFFLINE   robertpil

robertpil

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

It's an 18" round dish with a single LNB with 2 outputs going into a multi switch (non swm). 2 other receivers ( an R22 and an R15-300) also run off this switch.

So it's 2 R22's and 1 R15 running off the multi Switch. Everything seems to be working fine now.

As far as satellite settings, I used the 18" round dish option.

Here is a picture of the actual multi switch in my attic.

http://www.flickr.co...n11/7432745114/

Edited by robertpil, 24 June 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Glad it's working now, and it looks like all your wiring is correct.

Might be an intermittent bad connector on the end of one of the coax runs. You might still have a problem, and it just hasn't manifested itself since the change. For example, maybe the new R22 second tuner input isn't being fed properly, and you won't know it until you get the right combination of channel requests.

But, as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If a problem does come up in the future, check the connectors on all the coax. Good first place to look.

spam firewall