Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR Stockpiling: What's Piled Up On Your DVR?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

From TV By The Numbers:

DVR Stockpiling: What's Piled Up On Your DVR?

But a lot of stuff piles up on my DVR. As you can see just from the sliver above I’ve got 9 episodes of Archer, 23 episodes of Castle and 17 episodes of Grimm (along with some stuff I stored around Matt Cain’s perfect game). But there’s a lot you can’t see ranging from 22 episodes of Parks & Recreation, 11 episodes of The Middle, 6 episodes of Common Law. I even still have the final six episodes of Men of a Certain Age which I’m saving like a fine wine.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

So, whats stockpiled on your DVR?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

My wife has 166 episodes of One Life To Live on one of my DVR :mad:

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Nada.

My kids HR21 always has the most recent 5 episodes of about 20 shows.

My HR34 is currently 80% free (most of that is the second season of Boardwalk Empire that my wife is working on - I've already seen them & 13 episodes of Once Upon a Time we just started watching. Other than that, only about 6 things on the unit) my HR21 is 100% free.

We generally watch something and delete it.

Back in Feb we only had about 30% free as we typically don't watch new shows right away, but since then we've either watched them or gave up on them and deleted them.

I never watch TV shows/sporting events more than once and have enough DVD's/Blu-Ray's/Netflix to not need to store movies.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

The kids HR34 has:

61 episodes of Tom & Jerry
30 episodes of Tom & Jerry Kids
6 episodes of Simpsons
5 different Tom & Jerry Movies
45 Sponge Bob Square Pants

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

Adult HR34 has the following:

6 episodes of Ice Road Truckers
2 episodes of Suits
3 episodes of Common Law
5 episodes of Kojak
3 Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction

everything else is pretty much single episodes which are recorded and watched within a night or two.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Until I decided to can it I had all the first season of Last Man Standing. Now other then some movies I have recorded during free-views I have a few episodes of Touch, and American Chopper. I always try and keep up with shows I like/watch!

For the kids, well that's another story, Dora, Caillou, Scooby, Peppa Pig, Team Umizomi, Max and Ruby... the list goes on and on. I bet you can guess (from those shows) the age of my kids. But each of those have at least 12 each.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

I have 13 episodes of Flashpoint stored. My husband is stockpiling True Blood, The Borgias and Game of Thrones. He is also recording X-Files from the beginning.

I had begun re-recording MI 5. But I've caught up on those.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

NCIS 19 episodes
Castle 15 episodes
CSI NY 10 episodes
L&O SVU 9 episodes

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

Well until this week, I had 59 episodes of Peter Gunn. I'm now down to 11.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

^ I've got a bunch of episodes of Gunn and Dragnet and Adam-12, plus some Jack Benny, Naked City, Green Hornet, Wild, Wild West, Police Story, McHale's Navy, Burns and Allen and a whole slew of other stuff, both recent and classic.

2TB HDD on the media PC nearly full. I have no idea how many hours are there.

512 doesn't have too much on it.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#11 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

^ I've got a bunch of episodes of Adam-12

What channel?

JACK,

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

At the time they were on RTV, but now they're running on Antenna TV (both OTA sub-channels).
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

My DVR is currently filled to the brim with Seinfeld episodes lol.

#14 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

I watch & delete on my HR34. Currently at about 60-70% free space, depending on the day.

The rest of the family rarely deletes anything on their HR34, which seems to always be at 1-5% free space.

I need to get through the last 18 episodes of The Wire, 8 of Falling Skies, 4 of Justified, and a bunch of premium channel movies that I recorded anticipating a slow recording summer.

I've been keeping up with Burn Notice and Suits, so not much building up this summer yet, but usually like to always have the latest few recordings of Letterman, Leno, Conan, Kimmel, and Fallon to catch any interesting guests. And always have the last recording of Boomer & Carton as well.

The 5 tuner capability of the HR34 has made recording conflict-free, hopefully for eternity, for me and the family. If it's interesting, record it.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#15 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Until last week it was the full season of "person of interest". What a great show!

My last big item is the last 2 seasons of "Chuck".
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#16 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,973 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

My kids HR21 always has the most recent 5 episodes of about 20 shows.

Back in Feb we only had about 30% free as we typically don't watch new shows right away, but since then we've either watched them or gave up on them and deleted them.

I never watch TV shows/sporting events more than once and have enough DVD's/Blu-Ray's/Netflix to not need to store movies.

We must have the same kids.

We do the same with new shows. If they catch on, we will watch, if they get the hook after one season, then we will delete.

I do keep a DVR that does nothing but record movies. When we get to watch a movie, it is usually more of a spontaneous thing, so having a bunch on the DVR makes sense. Too many restrictions for PPV.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#17 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

mythbusters 14 episodes

#18 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,191 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

The last three episodes of Dallas on our 722k. Ordinarily we watch and delete - more like using the DVR to stockpile the commercials we like to skip thru.

We also tend to record programs and do some time-shifting. Thursdays and Fridays are our least favorite nights on TV.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#19 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Just went through and cleaned some stuff out of the External HD, had most of Ringer that I deleted and several movies I finally watched. Anyway stuff left from memory was Boardwalk empire (everything after 1st season I think 20+ episodes), Luther 6 ep's, All of Grimm, most everything is movies either newly released or older ones I like. Actual DVR doesn't have much on it after I accidentally wiped it a few weeks back, think I have a few ep's of Graham Norton and that's about all. All the new running shows currently going I like too much to watch any later than a few hours to a few days after they air.

#20 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Spread across four receivers and a couple EHD's I have not yet watched entire seasons of:

Alphas
Person of Interest
Missing
The Firm
The Killing (both seasons)
Luther (season two)
Homeland
Strike Back
Boss
Alcatraz
Luck
Rubicon

I may never get around to watching some of the now canceled shows.

spam firewall