Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Follow the news from Egypt today - not on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

There was no live coverage from Tahrir Square, this morning, as election results finally reached the people of Egypt.

Not on CNN or MSNBC, not on the OTA networks. The first place to take note was Bloomberg TV - on the crawl - beneath the Sunday morning tech show talking about Facebook.

Yes, my family did get to watch the announcement at the press conference, reaction in Tahrir Square, commentary from around Egypt, the Middle East, the rest of the world. That's what television has done so well for so many years.

Just not American television, anymore.

We watched on Aljazeera's English broadcast - streamed through Airplay from the Web via my AppleTV onto the television set in our living room.

If DirecTV carried BBC World Service or Aljazeera English we could have watched the live broadcast from Tahrir Square. But for whatever reasons we get, whatever excuses, the marketing decisions that trump service - we relied on the Web for timely news and television from sources DirecTV doesn't offer.

This isn't commentary about the event - but, the lack of coverage limited by American TV sources and the provider I have subscribed to since 1994.

My subscription continues. I watch more than the news. But, this is one segment of what interests me that relies more and more on sources outside the confines of DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

There was no live coverage from Tahrir Square, this morning, as election results finally reached the people of Egypt.

Not on CNN or MSNBC, not on the OTA networks. The first place to take note was Bloomberg TV - on the crawl - beneath the Sunday morning tech show talking about Facebook.

Yes, my family did get to watch the announcement at the press conference, reaction in Tahrir Square, commentary from around Egypt, the Middle East, the rest of the world. That's what television has done so well for so many years.

We watched on Aljazeera's English broadcast - streamed through Airplay from the Web via my AppleTV onto the television set in our living room.

If DirecTV carried BBC World Service or Aljazeera English we could have watched the live broadcast from Tahrir Square. But for whatever reasons we get, whatever excuses, the marketing decisions that trump service - we relied on the Web for timely news and television from sources DirecTV doesn't offer.

This isn't commentary about the event - but, the lack of coverage limited by American TV sources and the provider I have subscribed to since 1994.

My subscription continues. I watch more than the news. But, this is one segment of what interests me that relies more and more on sources outside the confines of DirecTV.

It's about money.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

It was actually on Headline News this morning (not the entire thing, but the story).

The other big 3 news programs dont care about anything except the presidential race, and how many gaffes they can catch the candidates making. Its disgusting.

I also watch Al Jazeera English via satellite and web daily to get real news. The American news networks are just political outlets now.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Aljazerra's coverage of the initial revolt a year ago was sensational. The Egyptian government kept shutting them down, but they had so many resources in Egypt that they kept coming back on in minutes.

I live in the Washington, DC metro area where we can get Aljazerra, Russia Today, France 24, NHK and a few other Americanized foreign channels right off the air.

Edited by AntAltMike, 24 June 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

CNN(non headline variety) had coverage also. In fact they preempted Fareed Zakahria's GPS show in it's entirety to show Live Coverage from Egypt.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#6 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

I get Al Jazeera on my Rokus. Lots of ways to get if someone wants to.

#7 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

If there was something on that was incredibly notworthy we'd know.

I'd much rather get the Pac 12 Network than watch Egyptian news....sorry and I think most would agree.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,766 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'd much rather get the Pac 12 Network than watch Egyptian news....sorry and I think most would agree.

Maybe, but this has major implications for that country and region. There needs to be more coverage of it.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Maybe, but this has major implications for that country and region. There needs to be more coverage of it.

And since the new regime hates Israel, and we are their military suppliers, it has a BIG implication for us as well.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

I watched AJ for the earthquake and tsunami in Japan last year. Had a neice caught up in it and found their coverage was far superior to that of anything found in the US. I can do it through ROKU, iPhone, and now the Samsung app store carries it for some TV models.

#11 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Didn't the Egyptian Military gut the presidency last week? Or was that missed also?

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,766 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

And since the new regime hates Israel, and we are their military suppliers, it has a BIG implication for us as well.

True, but anything big in that region usually has implications for us.

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

That country, that region, not ours.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

I don't know about live coverage but Fox News had coverage this morning for over an hour. They preempted a regular program to show it. You know, the Fox News that is fair and balanced unlike the other cable news stations that only give the far left news.

#15 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't know about live coverage but Fox News had coverage this morning for over an hour. They preempted a regular program to show it. You know, the Fox News that is fair and balanced unlike the other cable news stations that only give the far left news.

:lol: "Fair and Balanced"

#16 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

I vote for neither.

#17 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Why can't you just say Fox News had coverage and leave it at that rather than turning it into a commercial complete media channel and ideology vs media channel and ideology? All of that crap from either side is so uncalled for and so unnecessary.

#18 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hello everyone,

The best way to become ignorant of the events going on in the world is to watch the American propaganda organs. "Ignorance is bliss". "We have always been at war with Eastasia / Eurasia". The prior statements have been brought to you by minipax and minitrue. :soapbox:
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#19 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

We all know that the most important reporting from many of the American networks is of some part of the female anatomy getting exposed "accidentally" and the reaction of the FCC. I for one don't care to see Aljazeera's broadcasts but I would perhaps like to see Canadian or British news broadcasts.

#20 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hello everyone,

The best way to become ignorant of the events going on in the world is to watch the American propaganda organs. "Ignorance is bliss". "We have always been at war with Eastasia / Eurasia".

:lol: Pretty much. I remember trying to watch live coverage of the Egyptian protests last year and CNN (non HL) was the only channel I could find it. And to those who don't care about world events, you really should. The rest of the world finds America every now and then and it's good to know what's going on.

spam firewall