Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Follow the news from Egypt today - not on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,356 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Didn't the Egyptian Military gut the presidency last week? Or was that missed also?

Yes, they did. Mohammed Morsi's presidency will be basically ceremonial. The mods on this forum hold more power than he'll ever have.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yes, they did. Mohammed Morsi's presidency will be basically ceremonial. The mods on this forum hold more power than he'll ever have.

If Morsi panders to DirecTV, they will at least allow him to maintain the illusion of power...:P

#23 OFFLINE   JMCecil

JMCecil

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

If our news agencies didn't suck so bad, this wouldn't be a problem. I don't blame D* for the lack of international channels. I blame the US pseudo-news infrastructure. There's 10 or more channels dedicated to news and they spend 24 hours a day rehashing the same 2 or 3 stories for weeks at a time. And they all start the same "We don't have any information ... but let me talk for the next 10 minutes making **** up to fill some time before we all admit we don't actually know anything again"
LVR: HR34 - Anthem MRX 700 - Mits L75-A94
FMR: HR21 - Angstrom 200/205 - 47-LG50

#24 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

There was no live coverage from Tahrir Square, this morning, as election results finally reached the people of Egypt.

Not on CNN or MSNBC, not on the OTA networks. The first place to take note was Bloomberg TV - on the crawl - beneath the Sunday morning tech show talking about Facebook.

Yes, my family did get to watch the announcement at the press conference, reaction in Tahrir Square, commentary from around Egypt, the Middle East, the rest of the world. That's what television has done so well for so many years.

Just not American television, anymore.

We watched on Aljazeera's English broadcast - streamed through Airplay from the Web via my AppleTV onto the television set in our living room.

If DirecTV carried BBC World Service or Aljazeera English we could have watched the live broadcast from Tahrir Square. But for whatever reasons we get, whatever excuses, the marketing decisions that trump service - we relied on the Web for timely news and television from sources DirecTV doesn't offer.

This isn't commentary about the event - but, the lack of coverage limited by American TV sources and the provider I have subscribed to since 1994.

My subscription continues. I watch more than the news. But, this is one segment of what interests me that relies more and more on sources outside the confines of DirecTV.

Coverage was just fine on Fox News. Had a bit over an hour coverage then went back to it every hour or so. Just saying.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#25 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

I don't get 24 hr news from NYC either, much less Egypt.

#26 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

Yeah I was watching off and on all day on Fox News
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

spam firewall