Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR 34 Whole Home Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Since I last posted to this forum with questions, D* converted my legacy system to SWM. Now I have an HR 34 on one dish and an HR 20 and 22 on a second dish. Everything is connected to my network via DECA but with 2 separate DECAs. Every few days the 34 stops seeing my recordings on the other 2 dvrs. When it happens I reset the 34 and it fixes the problem temporarily.

Should I be resetting the DECAs when I reset the 34? If so do I then need to reset the other dvrs? Do I need to reset my router? Is there a particular order to reset things?

Would assigning static IPs possibly fix the issue? I had the 20 and 22 assigned static IPs in my old setup but am using dhcp for all 3 dvrs now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

That is a bizarre installation. Why on earth are they using two dishes? Are you sure they all arent connected to the same dish? Multiroom should only work if they are all connected to the same dish, unless they rigged up some type of bridge using ethernet.

In any case, no, you should not have to reboot the DECA's, and I have found using static IPs eliminate lots of problems. Worth a try.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

That is a strange setup. The OP should have one dish with a SWM16 for that setup. I think a little more info is needed to determine what is going wrong. It sounds like the two networks are bridged using the OP's home network and two CCK's.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 24 June 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

I have 2 dishes because DR Horton put in an On Q box when the house was built with only one line. When I got D* installed they found it too hard to run a 2nd line through the whole house to all TV locations. They set up downstairs on one dish and upstairs on the other dish.

When I got the hr34 for the media room upstairs they put in a swm8 for it and 2 h25s which are downstairs. I left the hr20 and 22 in the media room for now until the hr34 issues are resolved so my wife doesn't kill me if the 34 decides it doesn't feel like recording something. Eventually I will probably move one of the older dvrs downstairs and eliminate an h25. However, I will still have too many tuners for a swm8. I will be able to access the media room only with one wire but will need 2. Can I split the signal upstairs to accommodate the 34 and one other dual tuner dvr? The new slimline dish downstairs has the swm lnb and the old slimline 5 lnb now has a swm8.

VOS told me 2 swm 8s would work and they do--the installer was amazed. The only problem so far is the intermittent ability of the 34 to see recordings on the 20 and 22. I also have a Nomad upstairs which works fine on the network; it has no problem finding all the recordings. It is ethernet wired into my home network through an 8 port switch. All dvrs are only connected via coax.

I will try the static IP addresses for all 3 dvrs and see if that helps. Any opinions on whether to assign them inside or outside the router dhcp range? I have read both opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

I have 2 dishes because DR Horton put in an On Q box when the house was built with only one line. When I got D* installed they found it too hard to run a 2nd line through the whole house to all TV locations. They set up downstairs on one dish and upstairs on the other dish.

When I got the hr34 for the media room upstairs they put in a swm8 for it and 2 h25s which are downstairs. I left the hr20 and 22 in the media room for now until the hr34 issues are resolved so my wife doesn't kill me if the 34 decides it doesn't feel like recording something. Eventually I will probably move one of the older dvrs downstairs and eliminate an h25. However, I will still have too many tuners for a swm8. I will be able to access the media room only with one wire but will need 2. Can I split the signal upstairs to accommodate the 34 and one other dual tuner dvr? The new slimline dish downstairs has the swm lnb and the old slimline 5 lnb now has a swm8.

VOS told me 2 swm 8s would work and they do--the installer was amazed. The only problem so far is the intermittent ability of the 34 to see recordings on the 20 and 22. I also have a Nomad upstairs which works fine on the network; it has no problem finding all the recordings. It is ethernet wired into my home network through an 8 port switch. All dvrs are only connected via coax.

I will try the static IP addresses for all 3 dvrs and see if that helps. Any opinions on whether to assign them inside or outside the router dhcp range? I have read both opinions.

If setting up static IP addresses on the receivers themselves, they need to be outside the DHCP range. If you are using DHCP Reservations on the router to assign a "static" IP address to the receivers, you will set them within the DHCP range.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall