Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish on Demand - free programs!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

I just discovered free DOD titles on my 622. I previously thought that the free titles were only available with a broadband connection. When my router died I stopped checking out "All TV Shows". Just for fun I went in there today and discovered a list of programs available to watch instantly, even though my broadband connection is broken.

So that means besides the Dish Cinema titles there are also free programs available. BTW I'm watching one now.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Yeah I used to watch episodes of the Whitest Kids you Know through it on my unconnected 722k (its to far from my router and im to lazy to get its wifi running xD).

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

I have always found free stuff, it's just easier to find now.

#4 OFFLINE   sliderbob

sliderbob

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

What would be great is every following day, they could have the major networks previous PrimeTime shows available-for those of us who do not have a hopper, but have a 622 or 722 dvr.

#5 OFFLINE   ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

So how does that work? Do they just have a satellite feed that saves stuff on the DVR in the background?

While we're on the topic, how many ON DEMAND shows are normally available with an Internet connection and how many without?

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Well that's how the Hopper works...

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

So how does that work? Do they just have a satellite feed that saves stuff on the DVR in the background?

While we're on the topic, how many ON DEMAND shows are normally available with an Internet connection and how many without?

Evidently these programs download in the background overnight (when the receiver is off, allowing the tuner to tune into one of the DOD feeds). I wonder what would happen if the receiver would be left on overnight?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

If I remember correctly from my time working at Dish there were two types of VoD.
Push VOD that is downloaded via sat over night and the kind you have to stream over a connection.
AFAIK theres no way to tell before you actually start trying to watch it without having your receiver hooked up to the Dish.

spam firewall