Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Affordable SSD Drives?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

Can someone recommend what they thing the best manufacturer is? I have always been partial to Crucial, but there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Intel's certainly are good, but have not been problem free in the past. Crucial does also make a very good one in the M4.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

I had to buy 1GB of memory for a SUN UNIX machine in 1991. Cost about $21,000.

My friend Jay (RIP) worked for the Santa Clara School System in the 50s. In 1958 (!) he had to upgrade their 'computer' with more memory. 1 MB was $48000.:eek2:

#23 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,871 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

I've set up price watches on CamelCamelCamel and CamelEgg for $180 for the 256GB models of the following:
  • OCZ Vertex 4
  • Crucial m4
They seem to be the best models out there, although I am willing to listen to suggestions beyond Intel (too much of a price premium). Of course, some suggestions for some good trayless drive bays would be nice too.

How is the "Out-of-box" install experience for the Linux distros and SSD?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Just be sure to use a fairly recent distro and ext4, which is the default at least for Ubuntu.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

I've set up price watches on CamelCamelCamel and CamelEgg for $180 for the 256GB models of the following:

• OCZ Vertex 4
  • Crucial m4
They seem to be the best models out there, although I am willing to listen to suggestions beyond Intel (too much of a price premium). Of course, some suggestions for some good trayless drive bays would be nice too.

SSD 240 GB/6 Gbps for $179 at Fry's http://www.frys.com/...bmit.y=10&cat=0

#26 OFFLINE   DJ Rob

DJ Rob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

• OCZ Vertex 4
  • Crucial m4

I've heard a few bad things about the OCZ ones. I got a couple of 256GB Crucial M4's for $179 a piece from Amazon about a month ago and they have been great. No problems whatsoever. I'm using them in laptops and it makes a big difference in speed... even the one that is an i7 which was already fast.

Directv HR44-500, HR24-100, HR24-500
Samsung PN50A650, Denon AVR-2807

#27 OFFLINE   Juanus

Juanus

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

I've heard a few bad things about the OCZ ones. I got a couple of 256GB Crucial M4's for $179 a piece from Amazon about a month ago and they have been great. No problems whatsoever. I'm using them in laptops and it makes a big difference in speed... even the one that is an i7 which was already fast.

I am sorry that I missed that deal!

#28 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

Disagree with holding the grudge, I hold one till it dies then take it to a taxidermy location and have them stuff it then put it on the fireplace mantle to hold it longer

+1 - I still will not buy anything Sony after the rootkit fiasco....
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#29 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

I got a couple of 256GB Crucial M4's for $179 a piece from Amazon about a month ago and they have been great. No problems whatsoever. I'm using them in laptops and it makes a big difference in speed... even the one that is an i7 which was already fast.

I bought 2 of those from Amazon when they had them for that price as well. Also bought a Samsung 830 256GB SSD from Newegg when they had them for $189.99 the last week of June (they are currently $274 though): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820147164

Prices fluctuate almost daily, and by quite a bit.

#30 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Newegg & Buy.com has the Crucial M4 256GB drives on sale for $179.99 today:

http://www.newegg.co..._-20148443-L01C

http://www.buy.com/p.../221150375.html

#31 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,871 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Amazon is price matching it. I put one on order. In a few months, I'll probably pick up some at a lower price.

Edited by Mark Holtz, 21 July 2012 - 06:17 PM.

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#32 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,871 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

So, the drive is on order, and should be arriving Monday or Tuesday. I am just going to migrate an existing Windows 7 64-bit drive to the SSD. I'm using Acronis True Image to back up my drives. I've looked over the instructions from Lifehacker and was wondering.... won't TrueImage do the adjustment when I do the restore from a backup?

Also, I'm thinking that I have to switch my GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3L to ACHI mode in order to better utilize the commands for SSD. Thoughts?

Edited by Mark Holtz, 22 July 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

I would use ACHI, at least it handle how-swap for non-system drives.

#34 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,871 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Here is an article on Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation. Also, instructions on determining if your partitions are correctly aligned.

Edited by Mark Holtz, 22 July 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,264 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Here is an article on Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation. Also, instructions on determining if your partitions are correctly aligned.

Thanks. I'll need to go and check my setup now.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

I did switch to AHCI in a BIOS before installation - simple and easy way.

#37 OFFLINE   scooby2

scooby2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

I've had two of the Crucial M4 256GB SSDs for about 6 months now. Excellent drives (i'll never buy a hard drive for booting from again). I hear the Samsung 830 is now the top dog. I've been waiting for a deal to get one.

#38 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

I wouldn't exactly group the Intel SSDs into the "affordable" category but I have 2 X25-Vs and a 120GB 520 series and they are great! The benefit of the Intels is their firmware and their software is great as well. Not to mention their speed!

#39 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Warning about AHCI: some of the time you can just switch it. In my case because of full-disk encryption, that's not possible.

Kaboom.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#40 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,871 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

I got the drive today. I am still wrapping my head around the fact as to how SMALL the drive is, considering that I usually deal with the big huge 3.5" drives. I used to think that Spock used 3.5" disks on TOS, now I'm wondering if he was actually using these drives.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...