Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan review

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

It is not about being able to afford it; it is about the value of what you are paying. Is what you pay enough to offset the typical out of pocket expenses you may accumulate without the PP? IMO, no. Most people will never come close to having to spend $600 out of their own pocket to replace equipment.

My point is if people decide to purchase the PP they have to ask themselves, is it worth spending extra money even if it is not all that much?

And, how often will I need it, or how often do most people use it? If it is not very often, then is it still cost effective?

If it is to you, fine, pay for it. If it is not, then don't.

During the 10 years I had a tech come twice. One for an alignment and one for a free equipment replacement upgrade. The only charge too me was the alignment. Both times the tech checked everything and made sure all was good. Even left a couple of remotes. When I think about how much I spent out of my own pocket and how much I would have spent with the PP, it is not worth it.

Everyone I know with DirecTV has a similar experience with mine. It is just not needed enough to spend the money for it.

Look at it like this. One man's candy can be another man's poison.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,432 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

I been with directv for 16 years I only just added pp this February. I guess I'm ahead of the game

JACK,

#23 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

I been with directv for 16 years I only just added pp this February. I guess I'm ahead of the game

I look at it this way..This is a very expensive piece of electronic equipment that is very vulnerable.. It cannot be replaced at just about every store such as Cell phones, and IPads. It provides you countless hours of enjoyment.

So the PP is money well spent in my opinion. When I had a land line I thought telephone line maintenance was unnecessary until my line in the house went out one day and it cost me $$$ to fix the wiring.

#24 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

I have the PP and when one of my DVRs died, they sent a tech and ended up replacing two of the receivers AND the dish. Replacements were new HR24s.

When my next old DVR bit the dust, the fault code indicated a bad hard drive. That time, they shipped it. That one was a refurb HR21.

Remember, all of this cost me nothing extra and did not put me back under contract.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#25 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

My review...

The biggest waste of $6/month that anyone can spend.

The end.

Thank you for your opinion.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#26 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

I look at it this way..This is a very expensive piece of electronic equipment that is very vulnerable.. It cannot be replaced at just about every store such as Cell phones, and IPads. It provides you countless hours of enjoyment.

So the PP is money well spent in my opinion. When I had a land line I thought telephone line maintenance was unnecessary until my line in the house went out one day and it cost me $$$ to fix the wiring.

Just to clarify for others reading this, the equipment will be replaced with no equipment cost to the sub even without the protection plan. The protection plan pays for shipping; no protection plan you have to pay for the shipping.

#27 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thank you for your opinion.

You are quite welcome. Glad to offer any assistance I can whenever I can. :D

#28 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have the PP and when one of my DVRs died, they sent a tech and ended up replacing two of the receivers AND the dish. Replacements were new HR24s.

When my next old DVR bit the dust, the fault code indicated a bad hard drive. That time, they shipped it. That one was a refurb HR21.

Remember, all of this cost me nothing extra and did not put me back under contract.

Your contract will not get extended regardless of whether you have the PP or not. If two receivers were replaced with HR24s, that is an upgrade and you should have been placed back under contract.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#29 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

I had that happen when I went from DSL to UVerse internet. They would have charged me $150.00 to install the modem and make sure all the wiring, including in the house, were good.

I installed it myself since it didn't appear to be a big deal. But from the beginning, I was getting internet errors. I called it in, and they send a tech to check things out. Everything was good outside, but the problem turned out to be the wiring inside. When I wanted a 2nd phone line into my computer room, the electrician spliced it up in the attic and ran it to the computer room. It was O.K. forvdial up and DSL, but not for Uverse. That cost me $75.00, but it was still less then the original fee. The errors stopped.

Then another time, after a rainstorm, I started having problems again. This time it was at the their box on the side of the house. That didn't cost me anything.

So you just never know where problems will arise.

#30 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

This is what the protection plan covers for $6.00 a month.

PROTECTION PLAN coverage includes:

1. 24-hour technical support, 7 days a week
Need assistance? Call 1-800-531-5000

2.On-site repairs and the cost associated with replacing defective equipment

3. Protection for every DIRECTV® Receiver, remote, connection/switch, satellite antenna, wiring and dish antenna realignment.

Number two is somewhat unclear or misleading. Does on site repairs cover a tech replacing a defective receiver, or does the cost associated with replacing a defective receiver mean just shipping costs? The way it can be interpreted is that a tech would bring a replacement unit and get it working.

Number three assumes that a tech would have to come in and inspect and correct any problems which also includes receivers.

Here's what I found from a link someone provide in another thread. This addresses the receiver replacement.

Equipment Replacement and Repair: At our option, we may repair or replace a remote control or receiver by utilizing shipping and delivery services at our expense. If we determine a replacement receiver is required, we will ship a new or refurbished unit with comparable features to the location where you receive DIRECTV programming. We will also provide for return shipping of the defective unit. Should you fail to return the defective unit, charges for the unreturned unit will apply.

My advice on the PP decision:

1. 24-hour technical support, 7 days a week
Need assistance? Call 1-800-531-5000
- Exact same level of support, personel, etc. are available without the plan, free of additional charge.

2.On-site repairs and the cost associated with replacing defective equipment
- This is the only item of consideration. The same services are available on a pay-as-you-go basis. Total investment in covered items vs. cost/likelyhood of replacement is what your PP decision should be based on.

3. Protection for every DIRECTV® Receiver, remote, connection/switch, satellite antenna, wiring and dish antenna realignment.
- As mentioned elsewhere and often, receivers are covered under the lease agreement. They should not be factored into the PP decision.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

OK. So only one view is accepted? I get it.

I am just posting why I think it is a waste of money. If others don't, that is their perspective. Showing all sides gives others a better understanding. I will post my take regardless of what you think.

Receiver/DVR replacement is free without PP. You only pay for shipping
When a tech comes out he usually checks all equipment and lines anyway and replaces things that are bad. The couple of times I had one come out he did just that and did not charge me at all. I was only charged for the alignment (I now do the alignment on my own).
Remotes: I have 5 sitting in my closet that haven't even been taken out of the packaging.
Dishes: I have 1 HD dish and 2 SD dishes sitting in my garage. Whenever a neighbor moves I ask them for their dish and they give them too me.

Obviously, you don't own any receivers. For people who do the PP is essential. I own six of my twelve and have had my complete system redone by the PP. I've saved a lot of money over the years and I've been treated very well by the much more knowledgeable CSRs.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

That wasn't my point. The OP posted a specific question about the PP. The question had nothing to do about whether the PP was a good value or not. There've been enough threads here debating that. I just figured we didn't need another one.

- Merg

And you stated your opinion very well. If he had read your post with an open mind...

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I didn't mean to start any arguments. It's hard to know what I was thinking by the way I posted it. I really wanted to know how it works, what experienced others have had with PP, and then determine if it's a good value for me or not. That should settle that.

It's worth the money. Can't say it any simpler than that.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Your contract will not get extended regardless of whether you have the PP or not. If two receivers were replaced with HR24s, that is an upgrade and you should have been placed back under contract.

How can a 24 be an upgrade if it replaces a failed HR? After all, they're "functionally equivalent" to all the other HRs except the 34s. "Functionally equivalent"---always cracks me up......:lol:

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

How can a 24 be an upgrade if it replaces a failed HR? After all, they're "functionally equivalent" to all the other HRs except the 34s. "Functionally equivalent"---always cracks me up......:lol:

Rich

I assumed he was speaking about receivers rather than a DVR, but re-reading his OP it is unclear and he may have been speaking of DVRs. Your point is correct if they were indeed HRs.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#36 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

I didn't mean to start any arguments. It's hard to know what I was thinking by the way I posted it. I really wanted to know how it works, what experienced others have had with PP, and then determine if it's a good value for me or not. That should settle that.

My take on the Protection plan. It is a must have. The Dish is on the roof. I am afraid of heights so anything that needs doing with it or the wiring would cost me out of pocket. It is peace of mind for me.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#37 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

I assumed he was speaking about receivers rather than a DVR, but re-reading his OP it is unclear and he may have been speaking of DVRs. Your point is correct if they were indeed HRs.

I have a HDVR 24-500 and two H25's, slimline dish 3lnb swim, and whole home DVR.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#38 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

My review...

The biggest waste of $6/month that anyone can spend.

The end.;)

I own every one of my recievers /dvrs, without the protection plan I would be required to take a different box that wsa leased and triggers a 3 yesar commitment, so waste of money? Maybe in your eyes but not mine.

Have had 4 HR20 / Hr21's replaced with HR24's - all flagged as owned, so thing I came out ahead, they even gave me the OTA adapaters for the HR20's that where replaced with the HR24's. Best 6 bucks a month I have ever spent, and all I have to do is give up 1 martini a month..

The end......

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

After I wrote that post, I went back and read the TS's OP and I couldn't tell if they were new or replacements. If new on his account, the commitment would have kicked in.

Didn't know what to do, so I left the post in place.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I own every one of my recievers /dvrs, without the protection plan I would be required to take a different box that wsa leased and triggers a 3 yesar commitment, so waste of money? Maybe in your eyes but not mine.

Have had 4 HR20 / Hr21's replaced with HR24's - all flagged as owned, so thing I came out ahead, they even gave me the OTA adapaters for the HR20's that where replaced with the HR24's. Best 6 bucks a month I have ever spent, and all I have to do is give up 1 martini a month..

The end......

Or a milkshake at Yankee Stadium--$7.00 for a milk shake! And folks worry about $6 a month for something that I think is a necessity, unless you can fix everything yourself.....:lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...