Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan review

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Sorry for the confusion. My signature shows that all my boxes are DVRs but I should have made that clear in the message.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Or a milkshake at Yankee Stadium--$7.00 for a milk shake! And folks worry about $6 a month for something that I think is a necessity, unless you can fix everything yourself.....:lol:

Rich

Why do have to fix it yourself if you don't have the plan?
I've had 2 service calls and 1 receiver replaced by mail in 8 years and have spent only the $19.95 for shipping. Plan would have cost $500+ for the same period.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#43 OFFLINE   jdelaney62

jdelaney62

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'm a long time DirecTV customer, and I have never felt the need for the PP. Any problems I have had have been resolved by the CSR replacing my defective receiver. They send it to me, I box up the old one, and send it back. I have found that most of these "protection plans" are not worth what you pay for them.

#44 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

I understand. I'm done.

Just to clarify for others reading this, the equipment will be replaced with no equipment cost to the sub even without the protection plan. The protection plan pays for shipping; no protection plan you have to pay for the shipping.

You are quite welcome. Glad to offer any assistance I can whenever I can. :D

I thought you were done... I guess not :confused:
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#45 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Just to clarify for others reading this, the equipment will be replaced with no equipment cost to the sub even without the protection plan. The protection plan pays for shipping; no protection plan you have to pay for the shipping.

But if the equipment is owned and you don't have the PP, you could be on the line for up to the full up-front lease fee, plus you will get your commitment extended for 2 years. With the PP, the replacement equipment is free, is listed as owned, and there is no cost for shipping.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#46 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

I thought you were done... I guess not :confused:

I was done with giving my opinion about the PP. I was not done with stating facts about what it can or cannot cover.

#47 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

But if the equipment is owned and you don't have the PP, you could be on the line for up to the full up-front lease fee, plus you will get your commitment extended for 2 years. With the PP, the replacement equipment is free, is listed as owned, and there is no cost for shipping.

- Merg

If you own, then that is a different issue. Most of us do not own our equipment.

#48 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Bottom line is that it comes down to personal preference. We all waste money every month in our own way. For some it might be happy hour with the buds from work. Others it might be fast food lunches. Some might be the protection plan and some might be all of the above.

For me $7 (or whatever it is) is nothing compared to the 2 1/2 packs a day I used to smoke. I am still hundreds of dollars ahead each month and never have to worry about the one time I need a repair happens to be the one day of the month my checking account is on E.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#49 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

- Merg

Not true...the Equipment Replacement Program will still replace an owned receiver for s/h (19.95)...only it will be replaced as leased
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#50 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

Not true...the Equipment Replacement Program will still replace an owned receiver for s/h (19.95)...only it will be replaced as leased

That would be a change of policy back to how it used to be. It was like that for a while and then it changed that you needed to pay the lease fee. I know a lot of people didn't like that. I guess they reverted back to the old policy.

- Merg

#51 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

been like that for 4 years that i know of *shrugs*

#52 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

Now that being said there are possibly some CSR's pushing an upgrade instead of processing an E.R.P. since it counts against their stats. I HAVE seen that....

#53 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

Now that being said there are possibly some CSR's pushing an upgrade instead of processing an E.R.P. since it counts against their stats. I HAVE seen that....

Talked to multiple CSRs at the beginning of last year (or was it even earlier that that?) when we first started hearing about this change in policy. Everyone I talked to at that time confirmed that a defective owned receiver would be replaced with a leased receiver after payment of the up-front lease fee, but as usual, the lease fee can be discounted or waived depending on the customer's history/account.

- Merg

#54 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

Talked to multiple CSRs at the beginning of last year (or was it even earlier that that?) when we first started hearing about this change in policy. Everyone I talked to at that time confirmed that a defective owned receiver would be replaced with a leased receiver after payment of the up-front lease fee, but as usual, the lease fee can be discounted or waived depending on the customer's history/account.

- Merg

Once again misinformation, as I stated above a lot of CSR's do this to dodge a claim, which counts against their stats. I have personally never heard of someone being made to pay a new lease fee to replace defective equipment.....the only charges I know of aside from customer caused damage is shipping and handling..... 19.95

#55 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

Once again misinformation, as I stated above a lot of CSR's do this to dodge a claim, which counts against their stats. I have personally never heard of someone being made to pay a new lease fee to replace defective equipment.....the only charges I know of aside from customer caused damage is shipping and handling..... 19.95

Actually, you're wrong. I had an HR20 that was owned. It crapped out and it was replaced as a LEASE.

I now no longer have any owned devices and now instead of a mirroring fee on my previously owned receiver, I have a lease fee. I do not own the replacement. I cannot sell the replacement to someone should I decide to leave DirecTV.

So, fact is that if you have an owned receiver and you need to replace it, the likelihood of getting a replacement that is owned again rather than leased is slim to none.

On the positive side, they didn't charge me to ship the replacement to me.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#56 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Marty,

I was referring to having to pay the up-front lease fee when replacing a defective owned receiver. The monthly lease fee/additional receiver fee would be there no matter what.

- Merg

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

That's incorrect, just plain wrong. Call 877-887-7994 and ask one of those CSRs what an owned HR is replaced with if you have the PP.

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

No it hasn't. I've had several owned receivers replaced and they're always replaced as "owned". All during the last 4 years.

Rich

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Actually, you're wrong. I had an HR20 that was owned. It crapped out and it was replaced as a LEASE.

I now no longer have any owned devices and now instead of a mirroring fee on my previously owned receiver, I have a lease fee. I do not own the replacement. I cannot sell the replacement to someone should I decide to leave DirecTV.

So, fact is that if you have an owned receiver and you need to replace it, the likelihood of getting a replacement that is owned again rather than leased is slim to none.

On the positive side, they didn't charge me to ship the replacement to me.

Marty, if you had the PP at that time, you got screwed. I'd call up the number I just posted in this thread and get that straightened out. That's the number for the Access Card Team and it's a direct number, here it is again: 877-887-7994. You should be able to get the HR that replaced the owned HR reinstated as "owned".

Don't worry about how much time has passed, they will have the records and should be able to correct this mistake.

A warning to anyone with owned equipment: CALL THAT NUMBER ABOVE and you should have no problem getting a failed owned HR replaced with an owned HR. But, keep in mind, you must have the PP to do this. If you don't, the replacement will revert to leased. Go thru a CSR on the D* phone number and you'll undoubtedly have problems.

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Why would you even waste your money on this? Tech support is 24x7x365 whether you have the protection plan or not. You don't get faster service calls or move to the head of any queues. Nor do you get any benefits PERIOD. Unless you constantly call for service, most CSRs will generally waive the service charge. I've been a customer since 2002 and have had maybe 3 - 5 service calls (dish realignments) in that time period. They have ALWAYS waived the service charge and done it for free including my dish upgrade. In fact, the last time I called for a dish realignment, the guy came out and basically spent 4 hours re-wiring my entire house and replacing the dish for free. $6/month is flushing your money down the toilet. Techs will replace cables & splitters & diplexers, etc. for free anyways.

spam firewall