Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan review

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Why would you even waste your money on this? Tech support is 24x7x365 whether you have the protection plan or not. You don't get faster service calls or move to the head of any queues. Nor do you get any benefits PERIOD. Unless you constantly call for service, most CSRs will generally waive the service charge. I've been a customer since 2002 and have had maybe 3 - 5 service calls (dish realignments) in that time period. They have ALWAYS waived the service charge and done it for free including my dish upgrade. In fact, the last time I called for a dish realignment, the guy came out and basically spent 4 hours re-wiring my entire house and replacing the dish for free. $6/month is flushing your money down the toilet. Techs will replace cables & splitters & diplexers, etc. for free anyways.

real simple, owned recievers and dvrs get replaced by owned units if you have the protection plan. Prefer to always have owned recievers.

Not all people are lucky enough to get a truck roll cost waived or a defective lnb replaced for free. Given the new attittude towards discounts and gimmies the days of the free truck roll / replacement parts are numbers, no tech is going to replace a item out of their stock for free if they are not sure that it will be replaced in their inventory when they turn in the ticket.

You consider it flushing your money down the drain, personnally I don;t, but in the end it is each and ever end users decision. While they mave have "always" given it to you for free in the past you have zero certainity that they will "always" give it away free in the future unless you have a crystal ball that proves it differently. you are using to many generalized assumptions in your statement

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Unless your receivers are owned, or your dish is getting hit by lighting every month, the PP is a complete waste of money.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#63 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Unless your receivers are owned, or your dish is getting hit by lighting every month, the PP is a complete waste of money.

which is why it is a personal decision, I considering hitting the local McChoke or Burger King for a 7 dollar item that barely qualifies as food a complete waste of money - MRE's taste better. Different strocks for different folks.

#64 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

That's incorrect, just plain wrong. Call 877-887-7994 and ask one of those CSRs what an owned HR is replaced with if you have the PP.

Rich

Rich ERP is not protection plan
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#65 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Actually, you're wrong. I had an HR20 that was owned. It crapped out and it was replaced as a LEASE.

I now no longer have any owned devices and now instead of a mirroring fee on my previously owned receiver, I have a lease fee. I do not own the replacement. I cannot sell the replacement to someone should I decide to leave DirecTV.

So, fact is that if you have an owned receiver and you need to replace it, the likelihood of getting a replacement that is owned again rather than leased is slim to none.

On the positive side, they didn't charge me to ship the replacement to me.

See my post #49

#66 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

A good solution for spare parts. Anytime a neighbor moves or cancels their service ask them for their dish. Keep their dish and multi-switches, and then whenever you need to replace anything you have your own spare parts.

When they move and cancel DirecTV or use movers connection, DirecTV makes them keep the dish, LNB, switches, and all hardware connected to the house for the new owner. Even if they cancel without moving, the only equipment they want back are the leased receivers/DVRs with the remotes.

If they cancels, most of the time they do not want to keep the dish on their roof and they throw it away or sell it. Ask them if you can have it.

If they move ask the new neighbors when they move into the house with the vacated dish if they are going to use it. Many times they do not and just want to throw it away. Instead of trashing it, ask them for it.

Edited by DodgerKing, 27 June 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#67 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

real simple, owned recievers and dvrs get replaced by owned units if you have the protection plan. Prefer to always have owned recievers.

What exactly is the advantage of an owned reciever? I swapped out the hard drive in my "leased" reciever. Who really cares? I have an HR20-700 (or -100). Ok, so if I had an owned box, I could sell it? Big whoop... a whole $100? I'm keeping this box because it has built in OTA. Having an owned box is really overrated since I have yet to see a really compelling reason for it. You spend more $$$ up front and rarely recoup it on a sale.

Not all people are lucky enough to get a truck roll cost waived or a defective lnb replaced for free. Given the new attittude towards discounts and gimmies the days of the free truck roll / replacement parts are numbers, no tech is going to replace a item out of their stock for free if they are not sure that it will be replaced in their inventory when they turn in the ticket.

Actually, that is not the attitude at all. The attitude of techs nowadays is that they must make the system WORK. DirecTV does not like repeat calls. If a tech is constantly getting callbacks, he's gonna be gone real quick.

I know I didn't need a new dish or LNBs or wiring or splitters or multi-switch, etc. The guy could have just done a 5 minute re-align and left instead of the 4 hours he spent re-doing everything, changing out the mount, etc.

You consider it flushing your money down the drain, personnally I don;t, but in the end it is each and ever end users decision. While they mave have "always" given it to you for free in the past you have zero certainity that they will "always" give it away free in the future unless you have a crystal ball that proves it differently. you are using to many generalized assumptions in your statement

Ok, so you spend $72 a year on the PP... how many times have you used it and how many years have you had it?

#68 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

What exactly is the advantage of an owned reciever? I swapped out the hard drive in my "leased" reciever. Who really cares? I have an HR20-700 (or -100). Ok, so if I had an owned box, I could sell it? Big whoop... a whole $100? I'm keeping this box because it has built in OTA. Having an owned box is really overrated since I have yet to see a really compelling reason for it. You spend more $$$ up front and rarely recoup it on a sale.

Actually, that is not the attitude at all. The attitude of techs nowadays is that they must make the system WORK. DirecTV does not like repeat calls. If a tech is constantly getting callbacks, he's gonna be gone real quick.

I know I didn't need a new dish or LNBs or wiring or splitters or multi-switch, etc. The guy could have just done a 5 minute re-align and left instead of the 4 hours he spent re-doing everything, changing out the mount, etc.

Ok, so you spend $72 a year on the PP... how many times have you used it and how many years have you had it?

One pretty valid reason (for a standard "non-techie" customer) is if you have a need to deactivate and reactivate receivers occasionally (part-time home inhabitants, seasonal rooms, rv's, etc.) In those cases, the owned receivers can be turned off/on without incurring additional fees or committments.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#69 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:49 PM

Before the lease business model, owning was the only option and there are probably still quite a few of us around. I own three receivers, two are HR20s for the OTA capability. And, if one ever fails, there's the chance the replacement will be a newer receiver although the six I have had replaced have all been equivalent to the failed receiver. I just like the peace of mind the PP provides me.

And BTW, I've heard that cracking open that leased receiver to replace the HD is contrary to the TOS and may come back to bite you at some point. Just sayin'.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#70 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

7 times last year due to weather
3 times this year due to blown units

so 7 @ 49.00 = 343.00 ( I don't depend on trying to sweet talk them into a free truck roll, nor do I refuse service because they don;t have a hr24 on the truck)
3 owned recievers replaced by owned recivers = priceless

I spend more then 72.00 on a single night out with my family for dinner and a show, or a night out with friends at the bar, for me it is pocket change.

the PP costs me less then 1 martinii a month on a night out, well worth the cost with what I charge per hour for technical support, I can work while the tech is two and half stories up working on the issue where as if I had to actually debug I am losing billable time

Advantage of owning is I can swap out the hard drive without violating the TOS AND I can disconnect the device when I don;t have inlaws over without having to send it back, can disconnect and reconnect at will. Ths alone saves me more then the 6.00 a month for the PP since the currently unneeded units are not costing me 6.00 each per month, so I am actually making money by owning the recievers and deactivating them when they are not needed, takes about 5 or 10 minutes to reactivate

#71 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

Well, yeah, I guess if you call that much, it's worth it :).

#72 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

so 7 @ 49.00 = 343.00 ( I don't depend on trying to sweet talk them into a free truck roll, nor do I refuse service because they don;t have a hr24 on the truck)
3 owned recievers replaced by owned recivers = priceless

I spend more then 72.00 on a single night out with my family for dinner and a show, or a night out with friends at the bar, for me it is pocket change.

the PP costs me less then 1 martinii a month on a night out, well worth the cost with what I charge per hour for technical support, I can work while the tech is two and half stories up working on the issue where as if I had to actually debug I am losing billable time

Advantage of owning is I can swap out the hard drive without violating the TOS AND I can disconnect the device when I don;t have inlaws over without having to send it back, can disconnect and reconnect at will. Ths alone saves me more then the 6.00 a month for the PP since the currently unneeded units are not costing me 6.00 each per month, so I am actually making money by owning the recievers and deactivating them when they are not needed, takes about 5 or 10 minutes to reactivate

In your case, that would definitely justify getting the PP.

#73 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

live in a area with high winds, miserable storms, rear end deep snow, not to mention the house has nothing around it to break anything that mother nature throws at it. Love the solitutde and the simple fact my nearest neighbor is 10 miles away.

even if I did not have the number of calls that have been expierenced, would still have the protection plan, cost is minimal as compared to other things

#74 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Oh, it's worth it. You've just never been hit with the problems some of us have had.

Rich

#75 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

Rich ERP is not protection plan

This is a thread about the PP. What is the ERP, that $20 a month plan that covers electronics?

Rich

#76 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

ERP = Effective Radiated Power.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#77 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

This is a thread about the PP. What is the ERP, that $20 a month plan that covers electronics?

Rich

Sorry no it refers to the Equipment Replacement Plan....even if you don't have the PP abd your receiver craps out it gets replced for the cost of s/h 19.95....that is for all DTV customers without the protectyion plan

#78 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Actually the PP is pretty cheap when you compare it plus the unit charge with cable companies monthly charges for a DVR.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#79 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Sorry no it refers to the Equipment Replacement Plan....even if you don't have the PP abd your receiver craps out it gets replced for the cost of s/h 19.95....that is for all DTV customers without the protectyion plan

Oh, didn't even know it had a name. I've got six owned HRs and I need the PP for them and the many problems I've had.

Rich

#80 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

Yet another way to get more money from people!!!!!!

spam firewall