Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Protection Plan review

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

Actually the PP is pretty cheap when you compare it plus the unit charge with cable companies monthly charges for a DVR.

Cable DVRs in my area are $7 each, no upfront cost and get swapped out for free (no shipping) without need for a PP.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

Yet another way to get more money from people!!!!!!

The fee for the PP, which I use, pales before the price I pay for the Premium movie package which I don't use. Gotta get rid of that.

Rich

#83 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

I have followed this thread and I have some questions?

1) If you had the PP were you ever charged a fee for a truck roll out to fix the problem?
2) If so how much was it?
3) If you did not have the protection plan and they rolled out a truck to fix the problem how much were you charged for the visit?

I ask because I was looking at our compadres web site (just for giggles)

A) Their plan charges $15.00 to roll a truck if you have the plan, and $95.00 if you do not have the plan.

#84 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,517 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

1) If you had the PP were you ever charged a fee for a truck roll out to fix the problem?
3) If you did not have the protection plan and they rolled out a truck to fix the problem how much were you charged for the visit?

A) Their plan charges $15.00 to roll a truck if you have the plan, and $95.00 if you do not have the plan.

I have the Protection Plan. I was never charged a fee for a truck roll out that was needed to correct a issue. On the other hand I have heard of people without the Protection Plan being charged a fee for a truck roll out.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#85 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

I have the Protection Plan. I was never charged a fee for a truck roll out that was needed to correct a issue. On the other hand I have heard of people without the Protection Plan being charged a fee for a truck roll out.

I do not have the protection plan and have never had it. I've had a reasonable number of truck rolls to re-peak the dish, replace the dish, replace bad LNBs, replace dead receivers/DVRs, etc. I have never been charged anything for those truck rolls. Also, when I've had dead receivers/DVRs replaced without a truck roll, I've had the shipping charge waived upon my request.

I'm guessing that, if I was requesting a truck roll every few months, there might well be charges, but, with a need for those truck rolls coming at intervals of more than a year apart, I've never had an issue. The one time when I needed two truck rolls within a span of a couple of months, there was no charge for them, but I did have to have the 2nd of those two escalated to case management to get it at no charge.

#86 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

In 5 years with the protection plan they gave me quick refurb replacements on one DVR twice - 3rd time switched me to new HR24. Replaced 5lnb dish and DVR in the guesthouse after a nearby lightning strike.

New BBC's when the HR24 started acting up - and everything is fine, now.

I'd say I got my money's worth.

#87 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

I had dish for awhile and I had the PP pckg and they charged me $15.00 to realign my dish and bring out a SdDvr... what a rip !!!!

#88 OFFLINE   mark40511

mark40511

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLexington KY

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Well, I've had Directv for over three years and never had the protection plan..........A few weeks ago, one of the DECA modules went out on my whole home system, so I called and assumed they would just ship another DECA, but the CSR had to schedule a service call which would have been 49.99 unless I signed up for the protection plan, which I did (at least for now)

I knew all I needed was a new DECA module because the lights were completely out on it, even after rebooting, but they said they wouldn't send one.

When the tech got here, he said that it wasn't the DECA module that was bad because they don't go bad.......He said if the DECA goes bad, something is wrong with the DVR causing the DECA to go bad............I was like HUH? The DVR is working fine, it just can't see the other DVR because the DECA lights aren't on........He said, well I can try a new DECA but I'm telling you it's not going to work. He put the new DECA on and everything worked fine. He seemed puzzled and said he had never seen that before. A very odd service call.

#89 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 794 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

1) The only time you will be charged for a truck roll with the protection plan is if it's customer caused damage. If you move something around and then call and claim ignorance, and the tech comes out there and realizes that the customer broke something, they should change the service call to be chargeable.

2) $0 unless it's customer caused, in which case $49.95

3) $49.95 is the standard service call fee, but depending on your complaints you may get this reduced.

Edited to say this is (from memory) policy, but some people don't play by the rules
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#90 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

Well, I've had Directv for over three years and never had the protection plan..........A few weeks ago, one of the DECA modules went out on my whole home system, so I called and assumed they would just ship another DECA, but the CSR had to schedule a service call which would have been 49.99 unless I signed up for the protection plan, which I did (at least for now)

I knew all I needed was a new DECA module because the lights were completely out on it, even after rebooting, but they said they wouldn't send one.

When the tech got here, he said that it wasn't the DECA module that was bad because they don't go bad.......He said if the DECA goes bad, something is wrong with the DVR causing the DECA to go bad............I was like HUH? The DVR is working fine, it just can't see the other DVR because the DECA lights aren't on........He said, well I can try a new DECA but I'm telling you it's not going to work. He put the new DECA on and everything worked fine. He seemed puzzled and said he had never seen that before. A very odd service call.

Actually, that's not surprising. Most of them don't know quite what they're doing (with all apologies to the installers on the forum) when it comes to MRV. A few years ago, I amazed an installer when I turned off the blue ring on the front panel of a 20-700.

Rich

#91 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

an easy review for us.....without the protection plan, we would have paid way over what the plan has cost us. in 16 years i've lost count on how much has been defective and it's not through customer error. it's mostly been weather related or the piece just became defective. this stuff is so brittle and easily broken, the protection plan is a cheap insurance plan in my view. it's unfortunate they don't cover their product better w/o the plan, but it's probably best to offer it to those who want/need it. then those that don't, don't have to get it. this is one area they do right.

#92 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

an easy review for us.....without the protection plan, we would have paid way over what the plan has cost us. in 16 years i've lost count on how much has been defective and it's not through customer error. it's mostly been weather related or the piece just became defective. this stuff is so brittle and easily broken, the protection plan is a cheap insurance plan in my view. it's unfortunate they don't cover their product better w/o the plan, but it's probably best to offer it to those who want/need it. then those that don't, don't have to get it. this is one area they do right.

Wow, no way I would stay with any service that is that unreliable. For what you paid over 16 years, you could have replaced every peice of the sytem 5 or 6 times.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#93 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Wow, no way I would stay with any service that is that unreliable. For what you paid over 16 years, you could have replaced every peice of the sytem 5 or 6 times.

For some people, paying it a little at a time is better than paying a lot in one day.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#94 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

For some people, paying it a little at a time is better than paying a lot in one day.

I wasn't really speaking from a cost perspective, just a satisfaction one. I couldn't imagine keeping the service if I had that many issues.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#95 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

I wasn't really speaking from a cost perspective, just a satisfaction one. I couldn't imagine keeping the service if I had that many issues.

we've had the protection plan for about 10 of the 16 years. the $720 paid for it is well under the amount we would have paid for the fixes over that time. basically, the product satisfaction still outweighs the product dissatisfaction. when that changes, then it would be time to say goodbye.

Edited by rb5505, 17 July 2012 - 11:55 AM.

spam firewall