Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No TV2 output?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

has the 922 TV2 output died on anyone? I'm so tired of this thing. My first 922 died and I lost all my recordings :( Chalk it up to bad luck, learn my lesson and get an external drive. Now my new 922 is misbehaving as well. 90% of the time when I turn on the TV I get a blank screen. The guide will come up but no picture or audio. Sometimes starting a DVR recording and stopping it will re-kick things and get it working but most times I have to do a full reboot which takes forever.

Now, the TV2 output has completely stopped working. Rebooting used to fix this, now it doesn't help at all. I can't believe I paid $215 and signed a 2 year contract only to suffer with the 922 like this. I never had an issue with the 622.

My first few years with Dish and a 622 made me a firm believer in Dish. The 922 has me seriously contemplating going back to cable. :mad:

Yes, I pay for the service plan and I know they would send me another 922... but at this point, I don't *want* another 922 and I definitely don't feel like shelling out hundreds of dollars to lease something else!

Sorry, rant done...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

has the 922 TV2 output died on anyone? I'm so tired of this thing. My first 922 died and I lost all my recordings :( Chalk it up to bad luck, learn my lesson and get an external drive. Now my new 922 is misbehaving as well. 90% of the time when I turn on the TV I get a blank screen. The guide will come up but no picture or audio. Sometimes starting a DVR recording and stopping it will re-kick things and get it working but most times I have to do a full reboot which takes forever.

Now, the TV2 output has completely stopped working. Rebooting used to fix this, now it doesn't help at all. I can't believe I paid $215 and signed a 2 year contract only to suffer with the 922 like this. I never had an issue with the 622.

My first few years with Dish and a 622 made me a firm believer in Dish. The 922 has me seriously contemplating going back to cable. :mad:

Yes, I pay for the service plan and I know they would send me another 922... but at this point, I don't *want* another 922 and I definitely don't feel like shelling out hundreds of dollars to lease something else!

Sorry, rant done...

Have you already checked out going to the Hopper with DISH?.Hopefully DIRT will send you a PM,or you can send them a PM to see what it would take to switch over to the Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Have you already checked out going to the Hopper with DISH?.Hopefully DIRT will send you a PM,or you can send them a PM to see what it would take to switch over to the Hopper.

haven't looked into it seriously because I assume it involves paying another $200 or so, a tech visit, and another 2 year contract extension. Not to mention a higher monthly bill.

#4 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

question to answer - what software ver number
Hit 'Menu' button twice - Software Version number

#5 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

S118 XACD

#6 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Don't know about the tv2 output problem but mine has also been doing a lot of the black screen/no audio thing that you describe. You're definately not alone there. My 922 has also been doing a lot of the can't see the ext. hard drive thing again that has been an issue for me since day one with two different receivers.

The black screen problem seemed to arrive the same time as Blockbuster:rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

It maybe associated with the EHD,that's just a guess as I don't seem to have these issues and I don't have an EHD connected.I'm probably wrong but it maybe something to try to solve your issues.

#8 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

Sorry, rant done...

Will you please send me a private message with your phone number or account number so that I can assist you further?

Resetting does normally get this working again, but in this case it sounds like the TV2 output may have failed.

Do you keep the receiver in dual mode or single mode?

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#9 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

PM sent.

I keep the receiver in single mode, however, recently along with these troubles it seems to be "stuck" in dual mode. When I choose the menu item to change to single mode nothing happens.

Even resetting with the front button has no effect on my issues. The EHD is working just fine and I have had no issues with it so I'm not inclined to think that has anything to do with my issues.

Last night, I finally had a few minutes and actually unplugged the receiver from the wall (no surge protector is being used at all). This seems to have fixed things for now. Its showing up in single mode and TV2 output is working (for now...). Unplugging my receiver is no small task and involves moving heavy tower speakers, etc. so I don't consider this a workable solution if it keeps happening (like the soft reseting was previously).

How can I find out when my contract is up?

#10 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

How can I find out when my contract is up?

found out on chat my contract is up in march 2013. but only $90 to cancel now... something I will need to consider strongly if I get anymore trouble from my 922.

#11 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

All of the problems that you have mentioned including the dual mode issue have been documented by other 922 users. I know it probably doesn't make you feel any better to know that others are having the same issues but it's something you may want to consider before doing a receiver swap. A replacement 922 may have the same exact problems. This was apparently some type of bug that was introduced with the last software update.

My EHD problems were going on long before the latest updates but for whatever reason this problem has been much worse lately, for me.

Sorry I don't have a link to the thread that had discussion about the problems you mentioned. It could have been on the "other" forum.

#12 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

All of the problems that you have mentioned including the dual mode issue have been documented by other 922 users. I know it probably doesn't make you feel any better to know that others are having the same issues but it's something you may want to consider before doing a receiver swap. A replacement 922 may have the same exact problems. This was apparently some type of bug that was introduced with the last software update.

My EHD problems were going on long before the latest updates but for whatever reason this problem has been much worse lately, for me.

Sorry I don't have a link to the thread that had discussion about the problems you mentioned. It could have been on the "other" forum.

Thanks. I have no intention of doing another receiver swap. I've already done it once and I'm now having issues again. If I continue to have problems, either Dish makes it right by setting me up with a different model which is more reliable (at no cost to me), or I cut my losses and cancel service.

I know to some the issues I'm describing are tolerable and that's fine, but for me, I don't want to deal with it anymore.

#13 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

I hear you and feel your frustration. This latest round of problems is starting to push my buttons too. My wife keeps asking me why we keep dealing with a piece of equipment that doesn't work right all of the time, and I don't have a good answer. When it didn't record the season finale of Glee like it was supposed to, she held me accountable:eek2:

The funny part of it is that when the 922 is doing what it is supposed to do it's a fantastic receiver. When it's not working right it's a piece of you know what. I plan to go the Hopper/Joey route as soon as they come out with the OTA tuner for it but they have their own share of problems too. There doesn't appear to be anything out there either with Dish or Direct that is problem free but certainly there are more stable receivers.

#14 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm not even complaining about "tricky" issues like sling viewing or timers misfiring. I'm upset that when I turn on my TV's, it doesn't work! That's simply unacceptable to me.

It seems I'll soon be choosing the lesser of two evils... Time Warner Cable or AT&T Uverse :nono2:

#15 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

I turned on TV2 this morning and got the "black screen" that has been discussed. I think I got it once before, and used a soft reset to cure.

But I found a better/faster "cure" - I clicked on Menu > Weather on TV2 remote, and pulled up the Weather.com weather for a moment, which worked, and then I pressed Cancel button on the TV2 remote. I got my regular video on TV2, and all is fine without any kind of reboot.

Just thought I would share this possible work-around.

#16 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Is Hopper/Joey more stable than 922? Or less?

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Looks like yes ...

#18 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Is Hopper/Joey more stable than 922? Or less?

From what I have read so far they appear to be more stable. A lot of the complaints about them seem to be minor with many of those folks saying that overall their experience has been positive.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

I would say better, but Joye hiccups is annoying. Many times picture freeze, but sound continue play as usual, need to press pause and play to get back to normal.

#20 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

have an appointment Tuesday to upgrade my 922 to a 1 hopper 1 joey setup.

I hope I'm not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.... :eek2:

spam firewall