Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bug Report: Screen Freeze Then Reboot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark_AR

Mark_AR

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:19 AM

While watching DISC-HD tonight, the screen and audio froze.

Then the screen filled with uniformly spaced zig-zag lines with a black X in the middle.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\X/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Then after 15 or 20 seconds the screen blanked and the unit rebooted. It took nearly 5 minutes for the picture to come back on.

Most recent activity before freeze: Browsing the channel guide. Didn't see anything good. Pressed cancel on remote. About 1 minute later is when screen froze.

Boot V: 120B
Flash V: F051
SW V: L142

921 is fed directly from Dish 500 Quad LNB. No switch.

No timers set.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:09 AM

That's the standard linux equivalent to the windows BSOD (blue screen of death). When you see it, the 921 is on its way to rebooting, and the reboot takes between 4 and 5 minutes as you've seen.

First, please post your software, boot, and flash versions, along with what your satellite/switch setup is. Then, what were you doing with the receiver - turn it on, tune to Disc-HD and watch then reboot, or were you using the DVR commands, watching delayed, using aspect ratio controls, anything? Please be as detailed as possible.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   MattG

MattG

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:41 PM

I have also seen the GSOD (grey screen of death) several times but I haven't been able to come up with a sequence of steps to reproduce it. Every time though I was jumping in and out of the guide. I'm using a dp34 switch with a dish 500 and a dish 300 at 61.5. If there are any dish network engineers reading this I'll GLADLY offer my services as a beta tester since I'm seeing the OTA bug as well as the scaling/stretching problems in 4x3 mode :)

Matt

SW Version L142HECD-N
Boot Version 120B
Flash Version F051

#4 OFFLINE   peterd

peterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:03 PM

That's the standard linux equivalent to the windows BSOD (blue screen of death).

Just to be truly accurate (and not give Linux a bad name), that screen is the Dish 921 equivalent to the windows BSOD.

What you're seeing is a standard Linux "X windows" screen. Think of this as a Windows desktop before any customization (no icons, no background, etc.).

Normally, the 921's GUI (Graphical User Interface) is what we see displayed. If that program crashes, Linux can still run (unlike a Windows BSOD). However, the 921 developers have chosen to require Linux to reboot when this happens. (As a Linux developer, I would usually not do this, but would instead configure an automatic restart of the failed program. I can understand, though, where this might be the more conservative choice in a consumer electronics product.)
Peter
(New to this forum, but far from a newbie!) :)

921 Info (so I don't forget it in bug reports) :grin:
SW: L188HECD-N
Boot: 120B
Flash: F051

HR10-250 Info (no bug reports) :D
SW: 3.1.5D-01-2-357
Capacity: 500 GB (63hrs HD)
NIC: Linksys USB100TX

SW64, DISH 300 @148 & DISH 500 w. duals.
119 split off DISH 500, combined with 110 Sat-C LNB on 24" dish and 101 from GainMaster (D* 101 + BEV 91 & 82)

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:10 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Wasn't trying to pass on bad information. :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#6 OFFLINE   peterd

peterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:22 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Wasn't trying to pass on bad information. :)

Never thought so for an instant! Curiosity is a common bond among forum members (we're all here to learn), so whenever I have some insight to share... By the same token, I'm always learning new things myself!
Peter
(New to this forum, but far from a newbie!) :)

921 Info (so I don't forget it in bug reports) :grin:
SW: L188HECD-N
Boot: 120B
Flash: F051

HR10-250 Info (no bug reports) :D
SW: 3.1.5D-01-2-357
Capacity: 500 GB (63hrs HD)
NIC: Linksys USB100TX

SW64, DISH 300 @148 & DISH 500 w. duals.
119 split off DISH 500, combined with 110 Sat-C LNB on 24" dish and 101 from GainMaster (D* 101 + BEV 91 & 82)

#7 OFFLINE   alipka

alipka

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:03 PM

Please see my report on aspect ratio failure+ PIP = crash for another example of the gray screen of x death. This one appears to be more reproducible than yours.

spam firewall