Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HBO's "The Newsroom" - about regaining the ability to function ***spoilers***

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Canada's a decent country ... and I'm a natural born citizen of both Canada and America so there is a special place in my heart for the great white north. But every country has it's negatives. Canada has Quebec.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

I just thought it was entertaining, simple as that.

Not one to much care about the politics of it all.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#23 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Lefty Sorkin is lucky he won't have to try too hard to equally criticize both the Dems and the Reps in the scripts. Obama has given him tons of ammo to balance out the disses.

#24 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

Don't plan on watching Sorkin's version of The Newsroom.

But I HIGHLY recommend The Newsroom, a CBC production I discovered a few years ago.

An episode available on youtube.

The Newsroom S1E1 P1 (The Walking Shoe Incident)

http://en.wikipedia....dian_TV_series)

http://www.imdb.com/...291/plotsummary

"The Newsroom" (1996) More at IMDbPro »

In a Toronto TV station, the newsroom is headed by a ratings freak. There is nothing George won't do! He is surrounded by a self-absorbed news anchor man who is as dumb as they come, a grungy trainee, and a couple of more down-to-earth producers. The cast is helped by famous guest stars each week who try not to get between George and his bran muffins. Written by Steve Richer <sricher@sympatico.ca>

"The Newsroom" is presented much like "The Larry Sanders Show", but instead of being behind the scenes at a talk show it is set at - you guessed it - a news room. As a result, it is much edgier. The producer and anchors are completely self-absorbed and seem oblivious to the issues they are reporting on. Guest appearances are provided by commentators and interview subjects such as directors and authors, rather than actors, which is a refreshing change from the constant media bombardment of big names we are used to. Written by Joe Mason <jcmason@uwaterloo.ca>
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#25 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,318 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm two episodes in and it hasn't grabbed me...yet. I keep looking and listening for the Aaron Sorkin of West Wing and Sports Night. Also, Daniels over-acts Wiill McAvoy so that I just want to punch him in the mouth. One or two more eps and if it doesn't grab me by the testicles, I'm out.

On the technical side, why am I paying for all this HD when 'Newsroom' (and NCIS) look like 480p or worse?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#26 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Watched the Pilot last night and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to episode #2.

And while I very, very rarely use profanity in real life, I don't necessarily mind it on TV shows - as long as I know which shows have it. When watching a show on HBO, I know to watch it without my kids around. What I don't like is when I'm watching a primetime show on a major network and they use "questionable words" that are borderline and I'd rather not have my kids hear them. There's many times when we're watching a network show and one of the kids will saunter into the living room on their way to get something to drink and we're caught off guard by the things that can be said nowadays. When we're watching something on HBO, we know to hit pause when they enter the room, regardless.

Oh, and I love VEEP. Right up there with Curb and Arrested Development in terms of laughs per minute.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#27 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

Nick, the second episode had 'Sports Night' feelings written all over it. The pandemonium in the newsroom trying to throw everything together, the bar scene afterwards.. Both my wife and I noticed it right away.

This show definitely "has" me.

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

Watched the pilot last night and enjoyed it. I'll keep watching until I no longer like it.

As for the profanity police... They're just words...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...