Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question for DBStalk

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:53 AM

:rolleyes: First let me say thank you to Mark, I read the whole thread on your review of the DVR 921 (all 14 pages), lot of it was over my head so I thought I would register here and ask a very newbie question pertaining to the 921 hookup. First a little background then to my questions. I just redid our spare living room into a kitchen for the wife, now its my turn to spend money. I recently switched from Directtv over to Dishnetwork with one of their Dish 500 packages, I currently have the DVR501 or 510 as a receiver, not sure which. There is a big football game this weekend, Colts (wifes team) vs Patriots (my team), and I get my local channels through my dish, dont have an external antenna, channel 8 broadcasts the game in HD. Last weekend I picked up an Akai 55" HD tv and a progressive scan dvd home theater package. The tv has 1 component set (480i, 480p, 1080i) and 1 (480p, 1080i), tv does not have optical in. I have the dvd plugged into the 1st set. I needed an HD receiver to get the full benefits of their broadcast. I searched for a week and found a 921 at vanns.com yesterday. Fedex 2 day and I should get it tonight or tomorrow. I also ran cable from the switch last night so will have 2 inputs. Now for the newbie question, I am posting it here because it is sorta of a support item for those of us just jumping into HDTV. What do I need to do to receive the game in the best quality that I can ? Can I use svhs output for one antenna and component for the other ? Then set the 921 to output 480p for svhs antenna and 1080i for component or does it automatically do that ? Do I need an external antenna, I checked with Radio Shack,, they have a little set top one that is supposed to be for HDTV. Any advice or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ggw2000

ggw2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:34 AM

Redster, I just called Vanns and the guy I talked to seem to indicate that they do not have them listed. Told him they had them on the website? He seemed confused. Did you talk to a person or order it off the website hoping that it is in stock? Thanks Gerry

#3 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:47 AM

I spoke with someone personally, I asked them to double check their inventory because I wanted to make sure before I ordered. It has already been shipped. The order confirmation does state a DVR921 for $999.

#4 OFFLINE   ggw2000

ggw2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:50 AM

Redster, now to your post. If I understand (read between the lines on your terminology) I would assume you are talking about running a component set of cables and a S-video cable from the 921 to your TV set. If you do not have a seperate audio receiver you will need to run audio cables also. You will ONLY get 1080i HD on the component inputs to your TV. The S-Video input will be 480i. Most likely to start with you will use the component input all the time and switch the 921 to 1080i output and 16x9 mode for HD and maybe (you have to play with this depending on your set) 480P and I believe 4X3 #2 for SD (standard definition) programs. You can later look at the S-video input to your set and see if that makes a better or worse PQ. Now for the Audio connections. If you do not have a external receiver then you will be running stereo to your TV from the RCA jacks on the back of the 921. There is two ways to do this. #1 is to run two sets of cables, one to the audio at your component input and one to the audio inputs by your S-video in. #2 You can run one cable down to the back of the set and go to Rat Shack and get two audio splitters and plug them into each (this is the way I do it when not using my Dolby Digital Receiver). Hope this helps some. If not ask some more :). Gerry

#5 OFFLINE   ggw2000

ggw2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the reply. Since they are in Montana, I will wait awhile (still early) and maybe talked to someone other that the "night cleaner"... Gerry

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:59 AM

Post moved to the technical talk forum, as it's more appropriate here.

So, to answer your questions, redster:

Like ggw2000 said, you will have to connect component video out from the 921 to your television to view high definition programming. The 921 will not automatically switch between 480p and 1080i depending on what you're watching - you will have to do that via menu options. As for the antenna, I can't give you advice on that without knowing where you're located. In some areas of the country, an indoor antenna will work, but you're almost always better off going with a good quality outdoor antenna. Check out www.antennaweb.org for more information. It'll depend on how far you are from the towers that are broadcasting the HD signal, and what obstructions are between you and the towers. Also, if your HD channel is really on channel 8, you'll need a VHF antenna to receive it. Most HD channels around the country are in the UHF range (channels 13-69), and then remap their channel numbers back to their analog channel equivalent. In Denver, our cbs station broadcasts their digital channel on channel 35 (UHF) but the receivers see it as channel 4-1 because their analog channel is channel 4.

Please ask more questions if this has just confused you more - I know this is all confusing in the beginning...was there myself 2 years ago.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#7 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:00 AM

I will be using the component connections and svhs because I dont have enough component inputs on the tv. I am using one set of audio cables for the dvd player, input from the receiver,, volume on tv speakers is all the way down. Still wondering whether I need a seperate antenna to receive the HD broadcast from the local station, even though I am getting the station through the dish.

#8 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:04 AM

Thanks Mark,

I guess what is confusing me is,, even though I am receiving my local stations through my dish here in Indianapolis. Is the signal that I am getting through the dish the same signal as the HD one they say they are sending for the games.

#9 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:09 AM

I just emailed the tv station to find out how they are broadcasting the HD and on what channel.

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:13 AM

Ah, ok. You will need an antenna to receive the HD signal. Dish is not broadcasting any local channels in HD (and won't be for the forseeable future) with the exception of CBS-HD in CBS owned and operated markets. If you're not in one of those 19 markets, then you won't be getting CBS-HD from Dish. So you have to get it from over-the-air. And to do that, you'll need an antenna.

Also, I'd suggest calling the station and talking to someone in the engineering department - a lot of stations around the country aren't great about responding to emails in a timely manner.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:18 AM

Ok, I just looked, and Indianapolis is not a CBS O&O station, so you won't be able to get CBS-HD off of dish. You'll have to use an antenna to receive it over the air.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#12 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:30 AM

aahhh, that answers my questions. Guess I will run to the shack after work an pick up an antenna, I believe I am less than 15 miles away from their tower. Wife wont like having an antenna out in view but dont have many places to hide it. Would it hurt reception to have it hiding behind the tv ? If I understand from all the posts I have read,, the hd signal is pretty strong and doesnt seem to be interfered with the same as regular signal. Also, I can set the 921 to up convert any signal to 480p cant I ? So that even the local stations through the dish which arent HD will look better . Thanks to both of you for your help, cant wait to get this thing fired up and see how it looks.

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:59 AM

You're going to have to play with the antenna placement I suspect. It may work behind the tv, it may not. If you're going the radio shack route, I'd suggest NOT getting one of the amplified antennas at first - try one of the non-amplified ones first. If you're that close to the towers, the amplification could overpower the signal causing the receiver to not be able to lock onto the signal.

If your station is in fact UHF, then the Radio Shack Double Bow Tie antenna is a good choice to try if they have it in stock. That's the antenna I used at first before putting one on my roof.

The 921 will convert everything to 480p if you tell it to, or to 1080i, or to 720p - it's a setting in the menu.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#14 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Mark, I will try that. I did get an email back from the station engineer,, I am about 13 miles from the tower. He said the hd broadcast is on same tower as the analog one but on channel 9. I used to receive channel 8 on a little set top antenna before I went satellite so I should be okay. Thanks so much for your help.

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:27 AM

Ok, if the digital channel is on channel 9, the double bow tie antenna won't work for you as it's UHF only. You'll need a vhf antenna. My suggestion is to start out with rabbit ears and go up from there. Fortunately you should have Saturday to play with this (the game's on Sunday isn't it?).

One more thing - you'll need 2 satellite lines running to the location where you're going to put the 921. It won't work with just one line, and you can't split the line. You have to have 2 either from the dish or from the switch, depending on your configuration.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#16 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:38 AM

I ran the 2nd line last night,, just have to put a whole in the wall next to the other one and run it inside. I do remember that from your review. And yes the game is on Sunday. Thanks

#17 OFFLINE   glp

glp

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:33 AM

Ah, ok. You will need an antenna to receive the HD signal. Dish is not broadcasting any local channels in HD (and won't be for the forseeable future) with the exception of CBS-HD in CBS owned and operated markets. If you're not in one of those 19 markets, then you won't be getting CBS-HD from Dish. So you have to get it from over-the-air. And to do that, you'll need an antenna.

Also, I'd suggest calling the station and talking to someone in the engineering department - a lot of stations around the country aren't great about responding to emails in a timely manner.

Hi Mark
Just purchased a 921 through ebay no less. Paid a little more (keyword little) but given what all the dish retailers are telling me in my neck of the woods it didn't seem possible for me to get one before the superbowl. Now to my question you state CBS HD is available in 19 markets I get Boston locals live in a very difficult local area in New Hampshire will CBS be broadcast in HD by dish in this market ?
Go Pats
glp

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:46 AM

glp - your situation may be different than most. You get Boston locals, but are you in the Boston DMA market? If so, then you should have no trouble getting CBS-HD assuming you have a dish pointing at 61.5 or 148 because Boston is a CBS O&O station. If you're receiving Boston under distant networks, you still should be able to get CBS-HD. I'd put your address through the Dish address broker (do a search - I posted it a couple of days ago in another thread). If you qualify for Boston locals or for distant broadcast networks, then you qualify for CBS-HD.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#19 OFFLINE   glp

glp

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I just called dish and talked to a csr who said that if the broadcast is in HD on my local CBS than the dish I now have pointed at 110 119 orbital location will be broadcast in hd thru my 921. Everything I've read leads me to believe this is false and when I questioned him about this and asked if there was anyone who I could talk to about this he told me he knew what he was talking about and there was no need for me to talk to anyone else. If he is right fine but not letting me talk to anyone else if he is wrong disappoints me about dish. I've been with them about a year and everything has been fine untill this HD thing first they can't deliver the receivers and now it sounds like there csr's are mistaken and not seeking help. If any of my employees didn't seek my counsel when they weren't sure of something I'ld be out of a job
Thanks Again

#20 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:42 PM

I just called dish and talked to a csr who said that if the broadcast is in HD on my local CBS than the dish I now have pointed at 110 119 orbital location will be broadcast in hd thru my 921.

That CSR needs some training. As you have read here DISH does NOT transmit your locals in HD. The OTA tuner on the 921 can pick up your locals and when you are tuned to those stations you will see the program in HD. The HD channels are picked up with a seperate OTA antenna NOT via the dish as the CSR said.
Bill R

Protected By... spam firewall...And...