Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A new series "XIII" premiers this week on Reelz

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

Somehow I missed this. Alan Gordon just added it to the TV reminders thread.

"XIII" is based on the graphic novels from Jean Van Hamme and William Vance which have sold more than 16 million copies worldwide since the first volume was published 28 years ago.

"XIII" premieres Friday, June 29th, 2012 at 9pm. It is the story of a man's quest to uncover the truth about his identity while trying to stop a conspiracy that reaches the highest levels of the U.S. government and could change the balance of power in the world. Named for the Roman numeral "XIII" tattoo on his neck, XIII (Townsend) is a former secret operative who has been stripped of his memory. He does not know who he is, what he is trained to be or whom he serves. Hunted by a dark anti-government organization, XIII searches for clues that will uncover the secret that makes him so valuable - and so potentially dangerous.

What we missed noting earlier is that Reelz has been reairing a two part 2008 NBC TV movie starring Val Kilmer, "XIII: The Conspiracy", called the perfect primer for the launch of the series. Fortunately the two parts will be repeated Wednesday, June 27th at 12am ET and Thursday, June 28th at 8pm ET.

Whether the movie or the series will be any good, who knows? I cannot find a review of the movie anywhere and only one review that slams the series as ridiculous. I'm sure it is if you're looking for deep meaning. But sometimes these shows just can be entertaining.

Did anyone watch the movie last week or four years ago?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

Did anyone watch the movie last week?

Nope.... but I watched it back in 2008! ;)

It's nothing special, but I enjoyed it, and I was hoping it would make it to series. It did, but it took several years and switched networks (NBC to Reelz).

The movie is available on Blu-ray.

~Alan

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

Thank's Alan.

I found one review of the movie which concludes much along the lines of your observation:

The plot is all very Bourne Identity and plot holes abound. It also occasionally veers into the ridiculous (are those tattoos really such a good idea?), but we nonetheless found XIII to be a diverting action thriller, just the sort of thing we tune into to forget about bills that must be paid, our ******* bosses and so on. Check it out.

It's all Summer fare now and sounds like one could enjoy it, if one can suspend disbelief, as they say.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

I've been seeing the ads for it on Syfy and thought it looked interesting. I was thinking of recording it and giving it a shot.

Should I go back and watch the movie first or just stick with the series? I'm guessing that the actors in the movie are different than in the series.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

I'm going to record and archive the movie without watching it. I'd rather start the series and see how it goes without having the movie to compare to.

Here's the series trailer:

My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

I've been seeing the ads for it on Syfy and thought it looked interesting. I was thinking of recording it and giving it a shot.

Should I go back and watch the movie first or just stick with the series? I'm guessing that the actors in the movie are different than in the series.

If the series picks up after the events of the movie, it's a must-see first, IMO!!

If the series uses a soft or hard reboot, then it's not necessary. I don't know what their plans are... :confused:

~Alan

#7 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

looks interesting.
too bad Directv doesn't have it in HD.
Reelz is one of the fuzzier SD channels on D*.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

What channel is Reelz on D*?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

If the series picks up after the events of the movie, it's a must-see first, IMO!!

If the series uses a soft or hard reboot, then it's not necessary. I don't know what their plans are... :confused:

~Alan

The series preview seems to show a scene where the woman President get's assassinated, but it's unclear if it is a flashback. Because there is a video on the Reelz site showing a scene with a man President, I have a feeling that we'll get some backstory via flashbacks or unfolding through dialog.

My rationale for not watching the movie this week is simple. If I had seen the movie in 2008, it wouldn't bother me to start the series with new actors. But to watch the movie this close to the series beginning risks either turning me off to the whole thing or being disappointed in the series.

So I'll at least wait until I've seen the series pilot.

My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

The series preview seems to show a scene where the woman President get's assassinated, but it's unclear if it is a flashback. Because there is a video on the Reelz site showing a scene with a man President, I have a feeling that we'll get some backstory via flashbacks or unfolding through dialog.

My rationale for not watching the movie this week is simple. If I had seen the movie in 2008, it wouldn't bother me to start the series with new actors. But to watch the movie this close to the series beginning risks either turning me off to the whole thing or being disappointed in the series.

So I'll at least wait until I've seen the series pilot.

Completely understandable... :)

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

I didn't know we had this channel on Dish. :grin:

I'll record it and check it out eventually.

#12 OFFLINE   Rangers94

Rangers94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

You might want to watch the movie 1st, as it does explains a few things in the series.

#13 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

What channel is Reelz on D*?

It's on 238.

Thanks for bringing this up in its own thread. I had no idea about it and now I'm going to give it a shot.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   D*Noob

D*Noob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

Actually I believe what you guys are referring to is Season 2 of XIII, as the first season ran last year. Here's a few details from Wikipedia...

"XIII: The Series is a Franco-Canadian TV series that premiered in April 2011 in France and Canada which is based on the Belgian comic book series, originally by Jean Van Hamme and William Vance, and the game of the same title. The series revolves around an amnesiac protagonist who seeks to discover his concealed past. The series features many of the cast and crew who worked on the 2008 TV mini-series, XIII: The Conspiracy, as it was also produced by Prodigy Pictures and Cipango. The first season of XIII consists of 13 episodes.[1]
After a period of some uncertainty, a Twitter announcement on December 11, 2011 by Stuart Townsend, the actor who plays "XIII", stated the series was renewed for a second season. It further states the show will undergo "a major retooling, taking the show in a new direction". Filming began in February 13, 2012, in Toronto, Canada. The second season premiere will be written by Roger Avary. This has been due to high ratings and demands by the show's fanbase."

Here's the Wikipedia link for more details... XIII: The Series
My Home Theater:
Custom built HTPC running XBMC 11, fed by Vuze w/automatic RSS downloads
52" Samsung LCD 'LN52A750'
Onkyo A/V Receiver 'TX-SR705'
Monoprice 5X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch with built-in EQ '2777'
Microsoft 'Xbox 360'
Harmony 'One'

#15 OFFLINE   D*Noob

D*Noob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:08 AM

[quote name='D*Noob']"XIII: The Series is a Franco-Canadian TV series that premiered in April 2011 in France and Canada which is based on the Belgian comic book series, originally by Jean Van Hamme and William Vance, and the game of the same title."

Actually as I read that again it seems like Reelz is bringing this to the US for the first time as the Wiki suggests it only aired in France and Canada.
My Home Theater:
Custom built HTPC running XBMC 11, fed by Vuze w/automatic RSS downloads
52" Samsung LCD 'LN52A750'
Onkyo A/V Receiver 'TX-SR705'
Monoprice 5X1 Enhanced HDMI Switch with built-in EQ '2777'
Microsoft 'Xbox 360'
Harmony 'One'

#16 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Reelz is airing the first season, but since it previously aired in other countries, the original air date is showing in the information screen. Make sure you choose either "both" or "rerun" in the Series Link options since it appears as a rerun in the information.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Yep, the guide says that the first episode on 6/29 is the Pilot from 2011. So this must be the first season from Canada/France.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#18 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

My new episode timer on Dish is picking it up on the 29th.

#19 OFFLINE   Rangers94

Rangers94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

This is just like True Justice, it aired outside the US. Reelz showed it the past 2.5 months and has since picked it up for another season.

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm about to send a testy email to Dish about taking Reelz HD off again for sports. I, of course, set all my timers for the HD channel, including recording the movie tonight, and it was dropped this afternoon so I had to set my timers for the SD channel.:mad:

The folks at Reelz say it is a premier of the series on their channel though they have been showing the 2008 mini-series.

Posted Image

According to Wikipedia:

XIII: The Series is a Franco-Canadian TV series that premiered in April 2011 in France and Canada which is based on the Belgian comic book series, originally by Jean Van Hamme and William Vance, and the game of the same title. The series revolves around an amnesiac protagonist who seeks to discover his concealed past. The series features many of the cast and crew who worked on the 2008 TV mini-series, XIII: The Conspiracy, as it was also produced by Prodigy Pictures and Cipango. The first season of XIII consists of 13 episodes.

After a period of some uncertainty, a Twitter announcement on December 11, 2011 by Stuart Townsend, the actor who plays "XIII", stated the series was renewed for a second season. It further states the show will undergo "a major retooling, taking the show in a new direction". Filming began in February 13, 2012, in Toronto, Canada. The second season premiere will be written by Roger Avary. This has been due to high ratings and demands by the show's fanbase.

My AV Setup

spam firewall