Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coming from Dish...need some advice on setup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TUKIN18S

TUKIN18S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Ok, I hate to be this person, but I have over several hours reading and researching and I'm still confused as ever.

I am currently with Dish and have one VIP722k DVR. I live in a ranch home and only have one RG6 going from the attic to the basement where my DVR is located. The distribution panel for the rest of the home cable is also in the attic. All RG6 and Cat6 that I ran/fished myself to each bedroom.

Right now I have the DVR splitting HDMI to our basement family room and to the main level living room. Mainly because we aren't usually watching something different in each room. We have extra RF dish remotes. Does the HR34 come with RF remote or remotes?

We also have the tuner 2 feeding the rest of the bedrooms in the house with RF remotes.

I also watch my DVR recordings on my PC and Ipad with the Sling adapter. I know you can watch select shows on D*'s website but do they allow watching your DVR'd programs remotely?

My question is I'm seeing acronyms CCK DECA etc. and I have no clue what I need. I think minimally I am wanting an HR34. But does this have an SD output for tuners in the home like the Dish box where you tune to a cable channel and you can watch and control tuner 2? Do I need extra to watch recordings on my iPad like the CCK DECA?

If I wanted to add an HD tuner and separate our living spaces from the same channel what would I need for that? How much extra per month? What does Whole Home DVR service allow?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I haven't found exact answers and hate calling in. Thanks!

Edited by TUKIN18S, 26 June 2012 - 01:16 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I am not one for technical stuff, I am glad you are looking at Directv for your viewing options.
I was with Dish for 4 years and with Direct for just over 2 months now and am I ever happy I made the switch.
Your questions were not dumb and will be answered very quickly, I can assure you of that.
Hope you enjoy..

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

The HR34 with a HD receiver in tow will do mostly what you want...

In the DirecTV world, you cannot steal the second tuner of a DVR like you can with Dish. While all the outputs on the DirecTV DVR are active, what is being watched on one TV is what is watched on all TV's then. This can also cause problems though due to HDCP being instituted by programmers since if you have the TV with HDMI turned off and are watching on the TV with component hooked up, you will get a nasty message and cannot watch your show.

With the HR34, you will have 5 tuners available (with a HR2x DVR, you will have 2 tuners available) for recording. By having a HD receiver on another TV, that TV will have its own tuner to watch Live TV, but will be able to access the HR34 (or HR2x) to view previously recorded shows, plus the HD receiver can set a recording to take place on the HR34 (or HR2x).

The CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) is a unit that will bridge your coax network of receivers to your home network. Depending on the type installed, it can be placed near your router and hardwired to your router or can connect wirelessly back to your router.

The iPad app is great in that you can watch Live TV on the iPad itself for certain channels and can set up recordings. It currently cannot stream previously recorded shows from a DVR (although we believe it will in time).

As mentioned, hooking up a HD receiver to the second TV will give that TV its own tuner to use for Live TV. Every receiver after the first is $6/month. Also, as mentioned, with Whole Home, you will be able to watch any recorded content on the DVR via the HD receiver.

HTH,
Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

To duplicate what you have today, 722k + Sling Adapter = HR2x + H2x + RF modulator + Slingbox.

You can get as many RF remotes as you want to control the H2x from different rooms. They're pretty cheap on ebay. However, the range isn't nearly as good as Dish because they have no external antennas. So you may want to be thinking about other remote solutions if you're more than 30' or so away.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

I would seriously consider adding an SD receiver to the mix to feed the remote SD sets. There are issues when using an SD output from a DVR that is set to an HD resolution (the guide does not render in SD and you get a big box on the screen telling you to change the resolution to SD). Or, maybe even better, another HD receiver but set to SD output. That way it can also share in whole-home (view recordings from the DVR).

#6 OFFLINE   TUKIN18S

TUKIN18S

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

Thanks everyone. Gives me something to think about.

#7 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

I'm in the same boat with the thread starter here, and am about to make the switch to Direct. I'm also currently using a 722 on my main TV. How about the actual installation itself? I guess my questions are:

- Does the DirectTV installer just switch out the dish/lnb, switch, and receiver? I'm assuming I'll need no changes to existing cabling?

- How about the logistics of it all? Do I schedule the DirectTV guy to come out first, then he'll just remove the Dish equipment, then I call Dish and cancel them? Or do I have to get the Dish equipment out first, before DirectTV can do their thing?

Thanks for the help...

#8 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm in the same boat with the thread starter here, and am about to make the switch to Direct. I'm also currently using a 722 on my main TV. How about the actual installation itself? I guess my questions are:

- Does the DirectTV installer just switch out the dish/lnb, switch, and receiver? I'm assuming I'll need no changes to existing cabling?

- How about the logistics of it all? Do I schedule the DirectTV guy to come out first, then he'll just remove the Dish equipment, then I call Dish and cancel them? Or do I have to get the Dish equipment out first, before DirectTV can do their thing?

Thanks for the help...

Existing cable PROBABLY won't need to be changed. The Directv installer MAY switch out the dish, or may not. Dish receivers are your problem. Do NOT let the installer take them-Dish will want them back.

#9 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Existing cable PROBABLY won't need to be changed. The Directv installer MAY switch out the dish, or may not. Dish receivers are your problem. Do NOT let the installer take them-Dish will want them back.

Interesting; I never thought that Direct and Dish would use the same actual dish itself... Also, can you expand a bit on the cabling? I've got RG6 throughout the house, but the builder insulated all the walls after running cables with this foam insulation. Great for the electric bill, but makes running new cables extremely difficult.

One other question: how about the dish's view of the sky? My Dish points southwest and has a clear view, but if I have to point much more east or south, I might have a tree problem. Does the D* dish point to a much different section of the sky, or is it similar to Dish's?

#10 OFFLINE   TUKIN18S

TUKIN18S

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Well, just chatted with Dish account loyalty and got $10 off for 12 months, A Roku XD, and no contract extension.

David (ID: B6B):  As an option for you, you can stream the new AMC shows on your tv if  you have a Playstation, Xbox, Apple, TV, or ROku.  Do you currently have  any of these devices?
Chad: No we have none of those devices
Chad: Nor are we going to purchase them
David (ID: B6B):  If you have a Highspeed internet connection in your home we are happy  to offer you a free Roku media Player for your Home TV so you can still  watch the newest AMC shows, how does that sound?
Chad Harwick: What model Roku player?
David (ID: B6B): I will see if I can get this information, one moment.
Chad: Thank you
David (ID: B6B): You are welcome.
David (ID: B6B): Roku XD
Chad: That is a nice offer, but then I still have to purchase the shows I want
Chad: correct?
David (ID: B6B): Yes.
David (ID: B6B): As one more incentive to stay with Dish I could also get you 5 dollars off for 12 months, how does that sound?
Chad:  I might as well go to DirecTV pay a bit more for whole home dvr and not  have to worry about having extra devices
David (ID: B6B): I am sorry to hear.
David (ID: B6B): How would you like to proceed today?
Chad: How about $10 off for 12 months and the roku? If I accept that does my contract extend?
David (ID: B6B): Yes we can do 10 dollars off for 12 months without contract.
Chad: as well as the Roku?
David (ID: B6B): Yes./
Chad: And just to be sure, there is no extension of my current contract? It will still be up in September?
David (ID: B6B): Right.
Chad: Ok, that will be fine
David (ID: B6B): One moment.
David (ID: B6B):  Amazon.com does require a valid credit card to order the shows, you  currently have an active card that you can use, is that correcT?
Chad: Yes we do have an amazon account
David (ID: B6B): Great!
David (ID: B6B): We will ship the roku to your physical address on file, is that okay?
Chad: yes, that is perfect
David (ID: B6B): One moment.

#11 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

I misspoke. You will need a directv dish and LNB. Whether or not the installer will swap out the mount and dish, or put a whole new one up depends and varies.
For the dish, go to www.dishpointer.com, select the closest city to you, and select Directv 5 LNB (99, 101, 103, 110, 119) and see if there are any obstructions. Without you actual zip code, can't tell you if you'll need the 5 LNB as described above, or the LNB that looks at just 99, 101, 103.

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

@TUKIN18S:

So Dish is actually sending you a Roku XD? I wonder if that is specifically because of their issues with AMC. Sounds like they gave you a good deal to stay, although not extending your contract makes it even better.

- Merg

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,354 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

@TUKIN18S:

So Dish is actually sending you a Roku XD? I wonder if that is specifically because of their issues with AMC. Sounds like they gave you a good deal to stay, although not extending your contract makes it even better.

- Merg

Not to go off topic, but if they are doing that, sounds like it may be for the long haul.

#14 OFFLINE   TUKIN18S

TUKIN18S

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Yes sir. There is a long amc thread at satguys and there are quite a fe getting the same offer. I probably won't use the roku but the 10 off is nice for now until I decide what I'm doing.

#15 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

There is actually quite a bit of free content on the Roku. such as "Crackle, etc. I love using "Netflix but that's $8 per month.

#16 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

I probably won't use the roku but the 10 off is nice for now until I decide what I'm doing.

I can hold onto it for you if you want then. I mean there's no reason for it to take up space at your place if you're not using it. ;)

- Merg

#17 OFFLINE   TUKIN18S

TUKIN18S

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

I'll try it! :) Still plan on switching to DirecTV I think. With the free sunday ticket promo now it's hard to resist.

#18 OFFLINE   rapidturtle

rapidturtle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

I will be switching this month to Direct also. Tired of loosing channels with Dish, and yes I agree with the fact that Dish is handing out free Roku's, sounds like they are in this for the long haul.

spam firewall