Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contemplating the switch to Dish

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

So I currently have DirecTV right now and for those of you who aren't familiar with that setup it's one coax from the dish to a SWiM (big splitter) which then splits the signal to each individual box. DVRs still only require 1 coax.

I'm interested in the Joey/Hopper configuration. I will be setting up 4 HDTVs (and a 5th one with an HDMI splitter) and only need one DVR, but since the hoppers only have 3 tuners does that mean I'll need two hoppers? Can one hopper share recorded shows with another?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

You can have a total of three Joeys with a Hopper. At this time the two Hoppers can not see each other, that software is supposed to be added however.

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Actually the most recent update to the Hopper apparently enabled sharing; it's in narrow deployment now so we're probably talking within a week they'll be chatting.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

So if I had one Hopper and 3 Joeys I'd be able to watch TV on the Hopper and 2 Joeys at the same time at the very most?

It sounds like I'll need two Hoppers regardless.

#5 OFFLINE   BurgEnder

BurgEnder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

So if I had one Hopper and 3 Joeys I'd be able to watch TV on the Hopper and 2 Joeys at the same time at the very most?

Yes, total of three live streams (1xH + 2xJ or 3xJ)
"Obviously you're not a golfer"-Jeffery "the dude" Lebowski

#6 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Think of the Joey as a tuner that's part of the Hopper. You should get 2 Hoppers if there's people watching different things at different times.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hows the install procedure go? Would they just take out the SWiM and replace it with whatever they use?

Before we got DirecTV 2 years ago we had TWC and our install was VERY complicated because we have a big house that's old with several additions but now everything is a lot more centralized thankfully.

#8 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hows the install procedure go? Would they just take out the SWiM and replace it with whatever they use?

Before we got DirecTV 2 years ago we had TWC and our install was VERY complicated because we have a big house that's old with several additions but now everything is a lot more centralized thankfully.

Almost. Each Hopper needs a home run to the Dish, Joeys can split off from there. See THESE diagrams.

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

You'd be able to watch TV on all of them. Up to three live streams, six during Prime Time Anytime if you enable it, and as many recordings as you want.

Edit: The update for Hoppers to see other Hoppers on the same node is now active...or at least I got my update last night.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#10 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

Not necessarily. It depends on what you're watching.
The Hopper has three tuners for live programming, plus you can playback recorded programming while those three tuners are active. There are no tuners on the Joeys.

Since Prime Time Anytime uses one tuner, you could watch live feeds on 1 Hopper and three Joeys during prime time.

In your situation, I would go with two Hoppers, however. That would give you maximum flexibility and you could even do away with that HDMI splitter if you wanted to.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#11 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

I warms checking it all out on Dish's website. Does it cost more do have another hopper? I'd like to know more about the receiver fees.

#12 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Call Dish and get them to give you a complete breakdown of what the costs will be, before and after the introductory discounts. They quoted mine to the penny and it's been 100% accurate thus far.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#13 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Is calling the only way to get promotions?

#14 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Each Hopper does require certain promotional qualifications and is different for each account. Please PM your account information to me and I can provide the correct information. Please let me know. Thanks.

I warms checking it all out on Dish's website. Does it cost more do have another hopper? I'd like to know more about the receiver fees.

#15 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Ray, He's a prospective customer. He's not likely to have an account yet. ;)
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#16 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

I am thinking of switching also. Looking at 1 hopper and 2 joeys. My son will be away at school and won't need the 2nd joey all the time.

1. Does the hopper or joeys have 1080p, or use 720p/1080i?
2. D*tv allows me to activate/deactivate a receiver any time. Does the joey work like this?
3. Does the Redzone channel come with all the packages that get the NFL Network?

Thanks

#17 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for the information.

Ray, He's a prospective customer. He's not likely to have an account yet. ;)

#18 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

I would be happy to answer your questions.

1. The Hopper and Joey are 1080i using HDMI or component cable and a compatible TV.
2. Purchased receivers can be activated/deactivated at any time. The leased receivers, once deactivated, a box is sent to your home to send the leased receiver back.
3. The NFL Redzone is part of the Multi-sports package ($9 per month), which gives you more sports channels. Blackout rules do apply for some of the sporting events.

If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I am thinking of switching also. Looking at 1 hopper and 2 joeys. My son will be away at school and won't need the 2nd joey all the time.

2. D*tv allows me to activate/deactivate a receiver any time. Does the joey work like this?
3. Does the Redzone channel come with all the packages that get the NFL Network?

Thanks

#19 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks

1. 720P/1080i currently. Dish SD is also way better than Direct's.
2. The Joeys are not true receivers. All tuning is done through the Hopper. I don't think your bill changes from 1 to 3 Joeys, but I could be wrong. Someone else can address that.
3. No idea.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#20 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

I thought the Hopper/Joeys could do 1080p on some PPVs just like all the HD equipment from Dish and Direct.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

spam firewall