Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contemplating the switch to Dish

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

They can.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

How do you order online and get two Hoppers without selecting a bunch of TVs? I want two Hoppers and two Joeys.

#23 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

Work with a local reseller. You'll know with whom you're dealing with and can supply a face to a phone number.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#24 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Please PM me with additional questions and I would be happy to provide you the answers. You should be able to have 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys installed. Please let me know. Thanks.

How do you order online and get two Hoppers without selecting a bunch of TVs? I want two Hoppers and two Joeys.

#25 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

In answer to statement 2: all Joeys and Hoppers above the first Hopper (included with the programming package) are $7 per month. The same would apply to the Hopper/Joey as far as my statement on activation/deactivation of leased and owned receivers.

I answered question 3 in the earlier post. Thanks.

1. 720P/1080i currently. Dish SD is also way better than Direct's.
2. The Joeys are not true receivers. All tuning is done through the Hopper. I don't think your bill changes from 1 to 3 Joeys, but I could be wrong. Someone else can address that.
3. No idea.

#26 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I PM'd you Ray. Hopefully you can answer all my questions. Thanks

#27 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

I've been doing a lot of research and am about to make the move. But I need to figure out what my total monthly cost will be. I'm going for the AT250 package with Hopper and 3 Joeys. Besides the promotion price of $39 a month for the first year, what other charges will there be per month?

Direct charges quite a few and I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

#28 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

It should be $10 for the DVR and Multi-Room Viewing and $21 for the lease of the 3 Joeys in addition to the subscription fee you noted.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#29 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

I've been doing a lot of research and am about to make the move. But I need to figure out what my total monthly cost will be. I'm going for the AT250 package with Hopper and 3 Joeys. Besides the promotion price of $39 a month for the first year, what other charges will there be per month?

Direct charges quite a few and I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

i would go with 2 Hoppers and 2 joeys if i was you.
same monthly fee

#30 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

I'm going to call them today and see how much it would be. I'll post back with the price I get. I'm going for 2 Hoppers, 2 Joeys and the AT250.

#31 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

They said it'd be $75 for the first year and about $30 thereafter. The lady also said I'd probably just have to pay $99 for the additional Hopper. I'm pretty sure the DirecTV isn't costing $105 but I'll have to double check on that. Their call center is LOUD, I could hear multiple phone calls in the background. It makes TWCs sound good. Now I just need to call DirecTV and see if my contract (which it is) is up so I can cancel it.

#32 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

I just had a chat with a customer service rep at Dish. They told me there is no charge for a Hopper per month, and $7 per month for each Joey. Is that right? Would be great if true. I just have a hard time believing that....Please confirm.

#33 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

I just had a chat with a customer service rep at Dish. They told me there is no charge for a Hopper per month, and $7 per month for each Joey. Is that right? Would be great if true. I just have a hard time believing that....Please confirm.

The FIRST receiver, whether it be a Hopper or a traditional receiver, is free. Additional receivers are charged.

If one has two hoppers one will pay $7 per month for the second hopper (plus $7 per month for each Joey).

#34 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

So to get my total monthly charge for first year I just add however many extra receivers (Joeys) I have to the package price and that's it...correct? Any more "hidden" charges I should know about?

Thanks for the info.

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,227 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

There are about $10 more in monthly charges, plus tax ... plus if you want more than one Hopper or more than three Joeys there are additional one time fees.

#36 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

Ray, He's a prospective customer. He's not likely to have an account yet. ;)

:confused:I'm curently with DTV and was wondering if Dish helps you to get out of the contract with DTV. I had Dish up until 1/15/12 and went with DTV but Dish had more basic HD content. I never had any problems with Dish at all. I know that DTV used to give and $200 gift card to get out of the Dish contract. Thanks for the answers.

#37 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

:confused:I'm curently with DTV and was wondering if Dish helps you to get out of the contract with DTV. I had Dish up until 1/15/12 and went with DTV but Dish had more basic HD content. I never had any problems with Dish at all. I know that DTV used to give and $200 gift card to get out of the Dish contract. Thanks for the answers.

According to the DIRT rep on this forum, they won't. Too bad. I would have switched months ago -- and found myself exceedingly angry with the whole AMC thing. Perhaps there is a purpose to everything.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#38 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

I'm feeling reallly dumb at this point. Still trying to get my total charges per month if I switch from Direct to Dish. I really like the idea of the Hopper, and I think I'll save money per month even after the first year. So, if I'm going to get the Top 250 package I will pay $39.99 a month for the first year. If I get a Hopper and 3 Joeys, how much will I add to my bill to get the total (not counting tax)? Is it $21 total or $31 total more per month. (Is there a $10 per month Whole House DVR charge)? Other than that, am I leaving anythin else off? I currently have Choice Xtra Classic and HBO with 2 HD DVRs at Direct. I also have the HD package and pay for the service plan. My total bill there is $105 a month after discounts.

Also, after the first 3 months at Dish I will have to pay for a movie service. How much do they charge for HBO, Showtime or Starz a month?

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I make the change.

Thanks!

#39 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

You would be much better of with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. The box fees would be the same - $6 DVR fee, $4 Whole home fee, $7 x 3 for additional boxes = total fees of $31. As anew customer, you should get HD free for life. There is also a Blockbuster/HD package for $10 that includes a group of HD only channels, Blockbuster video and one DVD at a time by mail. Look on the website for HBO charge after freebies.

#40 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

I just switched today from DirecTV (9 years) to DISH.

So far I'm liking the Hopper and Joeys.

Much better response times than my old HRs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...