Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Connecting the Cinema Connection Kit

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   direfan

direfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hi,

I have a quick question. I have the whole home dvr setup with 2 HR-24s and one HR-34. The HR-24 closest to my wireless router has a power inserter attached to it. To take advantage of on-demand etc. DTV sent me a cinema connection kit. Looking at the instructions of the kit, I cannot seem to understand how to connect the kit to the HR-24 with the power inserter. Does the CCK sit between the power inserter and the DVR?

Currently there is no ethernet cable connected to the DVR. The instruction booklet does not show my connection scheme. Only the DECA one is shown. Please help. Thanks.

D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

You will need to connect the CCK to the same splitter that the HR24 is connected to. Alternately, you can connect the ethernet cable straight to the HR34 and go to Menu>Settings&Help>System Setup>Network and choose Connect Now.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   direfan

direfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

However, if I connect the ethernet cable directly to the HR-24, will the network be available to all the receivers?

If I understand correctly, connecting the CCK to the HR-24 will enable all the receivers in the whole home DVR setup to connect to the internet or is that incorrect?

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

However, if I connect the ethernet cable directly to the HR-24, will the network be available to all the receivers?

If I understand correctly, connecting the CCK to the HR-24 will enable all the receivers in the whole home DVR setup to connect to the internet or is that incorrect?

Connecting ethernet to the HR24 won't work. Only works with the HR34.

Seems like the one you want to connect the CCK to has the PI, so you can connect the CCK between the PI and the HR24 like in these pictures:
The top is for wireless to your router, and the bottom is hardwired.

http://www.dbstalk.c...395#post2934395
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   direfan

direfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Connecting ethernet to the HR24 won't work. Only works with the HR34.

Seems like the one you want to connect the CCK to has the PI, so you can connect the CCK between the PI and the HR24 like in these pictures:
The top is for wireless to your router, and the bottom is hardwired.

http://www.dbstalk.c...395#post2934395

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

Just to clarify, I am going to disconnect the coaxial coming from the PI at the HR-24 end and connect it to the CCK and then connect the CCK coaxially to the HR-24.

If I do this, will the network be available to all the other DVRs even though they do not have the CCK individually connected to them?

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,160 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

Just to clarify, I am going to disconnect the coaxial coming from the PI at the HR-24 end and connect it to the CCK and then connect the CCK coaxially to the HR-24.

If I do this, will the network be available to all the other DVRs even though they do not have the CCK individually connected to them?

Thanks.

Yes, though from your description I suppose you have the WiFi enabled CCK (W-CCK). So you will have to set up the WiFi connection to your router from a receiver menu or computer with just the coax loop-through.

Or run an ethernet cable from the W-CCK to the router for the wired option as in the second image VOS posted.

#7 OFFLINE   direfan

direfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

Ok guys, I am having issues with the wireless CCK. To connect it I disconnected the coaxial that was coming from the power inserter and was attached to the Sat !, and connected it to the lnb port on the CCK. Then I connected another coaxial from the sat receiver port of the CCK to the SAT 1 on the HR-24 500.

I then went to network setup and did the Connect Now and chose a wireless connection. I initially could see my router and clicked on it and entered the security key but it kept on saying error. I have WPA2 security for my FIOS router.

So I disconnected everything, reset the receiver etc, but now it straight away says that I am not connected to the internet and will not even give me the option to look for routers. Also, i checked the on the advanced set up screen and it has a completely different IP than the rest of the devices on my network. Is that because of the whole home DVR? Please help. I don't know what to do next.

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm guessing the 24 now has a 169.xxx IP as it didn't find your router.
I'd also guess resetting network defaults would get you back to finding the router during the setup menu.
I too use WPA2 and sometimes during setup have needed to repeat entering the key for it to work.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   direfan

direfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'm guessing the 24 now has a 169.xxx IP as it didn't find your router.
I'd also guess resetting network defaults would get you back to finding the router during the setup menu.
I too use WPA2 and sometimes during setup have needed to repeat entering the key for it to work.

Thanks a lot. That is absolutely correct. It has the 169.xxx IP. I tried the resetting network defaults but it maintained the 169 IP and did not give me chance to find the router.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks a lot. That is absolutely correct. It has the 169.xxx IP. I tried the resetting network defaults but it maintained the 169 IP and did not give me chance to find the router.

You might need to do a reboot after resetting network defaults.

When all else fails....

I've connected the wireless CCK to my router through ethernet, and looked at the IP address the router gives it.
I then log into the CCK GUI and setup the wireless through the GUI.

NOW!!!! once it connects wirelessly you'll need to pull the ethernet cable because it screws up the network with a dual connection.

Once the W-CCK is setup, you can move it back to the coax and with it powered up, each receiver should find the router and internet.
Reset network defaults, then reboot and they all should work.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,997 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

If your router supports WPS, that is an easier way to configure the CCK than entering the key on your HR24.

#12 OFFLINE   direfan

direfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

You might need to do a reboot after resetting network defaults.

Using the red button? And do I have to do it at each receiver?

When all else fails....

I've connected the wireless CCK to my router through ethernet, and looked at the IP address the router gives it.
I then log into the CCK GUI and setup the wireless through the GUI.

So you connect the CCK directly to the router using the ethernet cable? How do you determine what IP address the CCK has? Is it by loggin into the router GUI? If yes, then how do you log into the CCK gui? Is it simply just plugging in the CCK IP in a browser? How do you set up the CCK to be wireless once you log into its GUI?

NOW!!!! once it connects wirelessly you'll need to pull the ethernet cable because it screws up the network with a dual connection.

Once the W-CCK is setup, you can move it back to the coax and with it powered up, each receiver should find the router and internet.
Reset network defaults, then reboot and they all should work.

When you say reboot after resetting the network defaults, you mean the DVRs correct, not the CCK? And once again do I reset the network defaults at all receiver by pressing the red button?

Thank you once again.

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thank you once again.

Try to not use the red button on DVRs. The menu reset is just better on the DVR.

The CCK IP should be found in the router GUI.
With it, you can log in to the CCK with admin as the user and password.
Once in, it should be fairly straight forward. Click tab/wireless and load the info and then "save changes" should activate it.

So if you've got this far, take the W-CCK back to where you want it and let it power up.

Now if the network settings are in auto, a menu reset of each receiver should get each connected to your router.

If you've used manual setting for the network, then reset the network defaults [so they're back to auto] and then reboot.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   direfan

direfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Try to not use the red button on DVRs. The menu reset is just better on the DVR.

The CCK IP should be found in the router GUI.
With it, you can log in to the CCK with admin as the user and password.
Once in, it should be fairly straight forward. Click tab/wireless and load the info and then "save changes" should activate it.

So if you've got this far, take the W-CCK back to where you want it and let it power up.

Should I first connect all the coaxials before powering it up?

Now if the network settings are in auto, a menu reset of each receiver should get each connected to your router.

I don't understand this. What does this auto mean?

If you've used manual setting for the network, then reset the network defaults [so they're back to auto] and then reboot.

What does this mean? I guess I don't understand the difference between auto and manual?

And once again thanks for your patience. This has been very helpful.

#15 OFFLINE   Psykoboy2

Psykoboy2

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

I just had my installation done this morning. The tech installed the CCK and then we also plugged the HR34 into my network with an ethernet cable.

My internet did NOT like that.

It pretty much disabled my internet to have the HR34 connected to the internet as well as the CCK connected.

I only discovered this after the tech left (and a brief heart attack that the tech had cut the wire to my internet on the outside) so currently my HR34 isn't connected to the internet directly but through the CCK.

My question is, do I need the CCK? I have a direct hard line to my internet, I'm only doing one room so I only have the one box I need to connect. I get that it's free and it's working fine as is anyway, so even if I don't need it I doubt I'll change it. I'm just curious if my assumption is correct in that I don't actually need the CCK.

#16 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,744 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

The HR34 has that same functionality built in (minus the wireless piece). It is the ONLY receiver so far that bridges the DECA fabric to standard cat5/6. In your case the CCK is redundant but does offer the advantage that should you add a receiver or two it stays resident while the the HR34 is rebooting.

For what you have it is not needed, with expansion? Your call.

Don "just bringing one of these CCK units online myself" Bolton

I just had my installation done this morning. The tech installed the CCK and then we also plugged the HR34 into my network with an ethernet cable.

My internet did NOT like that.

It pretty much disabled my internet to have the HR34 connected to the internet as well as the CCK connected.

I only discovered this after the tech left (and a brief heart attack that the tech had cut the wire to my internet on the outside) so currently my HR34 isn't connected to the internet directly but through the CCK.

My question is, do I need the CCK? I have a direct hard line to my internet, I'm only doing one room so I only have the one box I need to connect. I get that it's free and it's working fine as is anyway, so even if I don't need it I doubt I'll change it. I'm just curious if my assumption is correct in that I don't actually need the CCK.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#17 OFFLINE   Psykoboy2

Psykoboy2

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Appreciate the help. Later on today I may try and get rid of the CCK and just go direct. He's got me connected to a splitter that I am guessing I wouldn't need if I ditch the CCK.

I think my question is, can I do all of this myself or do I need tech to come back out for this? I think I can, but all of this is brand new to me, I'm only a few hours in to being a Sat owner of any kind so I don't want to mess up anything, but I like to think I'm pretty handy with my home theater tech.

The HR34 has that same functionality built in (minus the wireless piece). It is the ONLY receiver so far that bridges the DECA fabric to standard cat5/6. In your case the CCK is redundant but does offer the advantage that should you add a receiver or two it stays resident while the the HR34 is rebooting.

For what you have it is not needed, with expansion? Your call.

Don "just bringing one of these CCK units online myself" Bolton

#18 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,744 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Depends on your comfort working with such. If it is working though? Mabe save that for next call. Tha CCK should not have been on your work order but.

If you have it working don't fret the details. Just enjoy.

Don "unless tinkering is in your nature of course" Bolton

Appreciate the help. Later on today I may try and get rid of the CCK and just go direct. He's got me connected to a splitter that I am guessing I wouldn't need if I ditch the CCK.

I think my question is, can I do all of this myself or do I need tech to come back out for this? I think I can, but all of this is brand new to me, I'm only a few hours in to being a Sat owner of any kind so I don't want to mess up anything, but I like to think I'm pretty handy with my home theater tech.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#19 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Well I CAN screw up just about anything so... :lol:

If the CCK is working, pull the ethernet off of the HR34.
I doubt anyone can mess that up [even me :lol:].
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   Psykoboy2

Psykoboy2

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Couldn't leave well enough alone. Removed the CCK and all is well. Cable management is a bit better and I have a free outlet. Wasn't all that difficult and gave me no issues at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...