Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does "HD for Life" exist?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

I was on the phone today with DISH customer service about various billing and package issues. I currently have the America Top 200 package with a ViP722 DVR but without the HD option, which I am happy with, but our discussion covered several topics and now I'm confused about what went with which subject.

For one thing, I asked about upgrading to the new Hopper/Joey system and ended up getting a bunch of numbers for installation fees, various new monthly charges, etc. Somewhere along the line, she said that I'd also have to get the HD add-on for $10/month, or (I think) a one-time $99 fee to get "HD for life".

I've since gone to the DISH web site and don't see anything about this. I'm probably not going to go with the Hopper since it would add $11/mo. plus installation, but is there some way to get the HD channels without ratcheting my monthly charges up another $10? My current DVR & package but with more HD channels would be more than satisfactory.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

Yes HD free for life exists.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

If my memory is correct I believe your account must be on credit or debit card AutoPay and make a 2-year commitment OR you can pay $99.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

If you only need one TV, there's not much point in converting to a hopper setup (at least until OTA makes an appearance on the Hopper).

I'm a little surprised that you managed to get an HD DVR without HD service but for those who didn't have HD service to begin with, there is usually a fee to get into it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

He's in Detroit which is Eastern Arc and only the Vip stuff will work.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#6 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Can you elaborate on that please? What does "only the Vip stuff" mean? Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

Think it should be mpeg4, Hopper/Joey will work, these are Xip.

#8 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

As garys stated, the VIP receivers are MPEG4 receivers where receivers in production for a loinger period of time are MPEG2.

You can have the HD Free For Life (HDFFL), where the HD programming is at no charge for the life of your active DISH account. HDFFL does require Auto Pay and paperless billing. It also requires a new 24 month commitment or you can pay a one time charge of $99. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

Vip series hardware, and also Hopper/Joey are all MPEG4, earlier equipment wasn't and the eastern arc is all MPEG4. So even if you don't want HD, you still get HD capable equipment. I suppose they just turn off HD if you don't want it.

Lloyd

#10 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

You can have the HD Free For Life (HDFFL), where the HD programming is at no charge for the life of your active DISH account. HDFFL does require Auto Pay and paperless billing. It also requires a new 24 month commitment or you can pay a one time charge of $99. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks, Ray. Since I already have paperless billing + autopay, can I just call customer service and ask them for HDFFL? I'd definitely be willing to pay the $99 in lieu of a 2-year lock-in.

(OT: This also hinges on what happens next Monday when I look to see if AMC is still there. I could give you a list of at least 100 of the America's 200 channels that we couldn't care less if DISH dropped, but AMC carries our two favorite shows out of only a half-dozen or so can't-miss shows!)

#11 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Vip series hardware, and also Hopper/Joey are all MPEG4, earlier equipment wasn't and the eastern arc is all MPEG4. So even if you don't want HD, you still get HD capable equipment. I suppose they just turn off HD if you don't want it.

We do get some HD broadcasts, such as all our local network channels, Fox Sports, and the movie packages (Starz, Cinemax) when they've been available.

#12 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

We do get some HD broadcasts, such as all our local network channels, Fox Sports, and the movie packages (Starz, Cinemax) when they've been available.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

When I was with Dish, I had a 722k and a 612 with HD service, so I never knew that those on the EA with only SD service would get any HD.

Lloyd

#13 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

You're welcome! You can contact me or call 1-800-333-3474 to activate the HD programming. The HD programming is in conjunction with your programming package (AT200).

I read an article this morning that AT&T is having the same issue with AMC and the exuberant charges AMC is asking to rebroadcast their channels. Here is the link: http://www.reuters.c...E85R05P20120628

If you have further questions or concerns, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks, Ray. Since I already have paperless billing + autopay, can I just call customer service and ask them for HDFFL? I'd definitely be willing to pay the $99 in lieu of a 2-year lock-in.

(OT: This also hinges on what happens next Monday when I look to see if AMC is still there. I could give you a list of at least 100 of the America's 200 channels that we couldn't care less if DISH dropped, but AMC carries our two favorite shows out of only a half-dozen or so can't-miss shows!)

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:05 AM

I suspect that you're wrong. Last I checked, Detroit was a dual arc market.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   rochrunner

rochrunner

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Yes. I had to have our dish remounted and pointed a few weeks ago and I told the tech that in walking around our neighborhood I noticed that some people had DISH dishes pointing westward as opposed to our east-pointing dish. He said that the main reason for picking up the westward signals was if you wanted the international programming package.

But I'm sure you guys already knew that, if indeed he was correct.

#16 OFFLINE   SJ HART

SJ HART

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

Seems like HD will just be the norm and will be included more and more as a standard feature for providers. I wish they still had the HD only package which I signed up for. Hard to even watch SD programming anymore... SJ

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

I wish they still had the HD only package which I signed up for. Hard to even watch SD programming anymore... SJ

If SD is so hard to watch, what's keeping you from subscribing to one of the DISH America packages?

#18 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

I did a quick google search and the articles I read showed Detroit as EA, not dual.

Sorry for the mis info, blame Google! :)

Lloyd

#19 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

If SD is so hard to watch, what's keeping you from subscribing to one of the DISH America packages?

Probably because they don't have all the HD channels the regular packages have. Like BBCA for instance.

Lloyd

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

Sorry for the mis info, blame Google! :)

I blame you for using Google when you should be familiar with a much more authoritative resource:

http://dishuser.net

Protected By... spam firewall...And...