Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question - Hopper with no Joey but with one VIP722 or 612?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm probably just old and confused, but I have searched and searched and cannot get what I see as clear answers, so hoping for precise information I'm going to ask some questions:

1. The policy quoted in other threads reads (emphasis added) "An account with a Hopper whole home DVR set up, can not have mixed equipment (ViP/DP/Legacy) active on the same account." My question is, with no Joey and related wiring, is it possible to have a Hopper and one VIP612/722DVR on the same account?

2. Is it technically possible to have a Hopper (without a Joey) plus one VIP612/722DVR on the same system? As a followup, if the answer is "yes" can this be done when one is using and must have two dishes - one that "sees" 110° and 119° plus one that "sees" 129° and, if so, what wiring is required?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I believe the setup will work, Dish will not allow these receivers on one account. I have heard that Dish has allowed Hopper/Joey with a 211 with the 211 due to RV usage.

#3 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Yes this type of set up is technically possible, however ViP equipment can not be activated on the same account as a Hopper Whole Home DVR. The Only exception to this business rule is the ViP211k. The ViP211k can be activated on an account for customers who use their DISH services with their RV.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yes...and no :)

Technically, there are various configurations to include Hopper/Joey and ViP equipment if you have at least one DPP44 switch, for instance.

However, Dish at the moment will not allow regular customers to ask for such a configuration.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yes this type of set up is technically possible, however ViP equipment can not be activated on the same account as a Hopper Whole Home DVR. The Only exception to this business rule is the ViP211k. The ViP211k can be activated on an account for customers who use their DISH services with their RV.

Does that apply if your ViP equipment has already been activated on the account? (I keep looking for that clear, precise answer. ;) )

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

If you have account and want Hopper, you have to remove the current receivers. You cannot have both on at the same time.

#7 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

Does that apply if your ViP equipment has already been activated on the account? (I keep looking for that clear, precise answer. ;) )

When you upgrade to the Hopper your current equipment would deactivated at the time of installation as the Hopper and Joeys are being activated. As I said the only ViP equipment that can be active on an account with the Hopper Whole Home DVR is the ViP211k. As I said that is an exception made for customers who use their DISH services in their RV.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,552 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

So the precise answer is Dish currently prohibits a customer from having any ViP DVR on an account with a Hopper used with or without a Joey.

My AV Setup

#9 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

This has prob.already been asked ,excuse me if it is. I noticed in other threads that some people thru independent dealers they were able to get 2 hoppers and no joeys is this true? I thought dish only allowed 1 hopper and you had to have a joey.

#10 OFFLINE   JR_Baas

JR_Baas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:32 AM

When you upgrade to the Hopper your current equipment would deactivated at the time of installation as the Hopper and Joeys are being activated. As I said the only ViP equipment that can be active on an account with the Hopper Whole Home DVR is the ViP211k. As I said that is an exception made for customers who use their DISH services in their RV.

Ray,

Does the 211K have to be owned or can it be leased? I currently have a 722 and a 211K that are both leased. Could I ask for an upgrade to a hopper for the 722 and keep the 211K on the account?

#11 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Ray,

Does the 211K have to be owned or can it be leased? I currently have a 722 and a 211K that are both leased. Could I ask for an upgrade to a hopper for the 722 and keep the 211K on the account?

The ViP211k can be either leased or owned. Please send me a PM with your phone or account number and I'll be more than happy to see what we would need to do to upgrade keeping the ViP211k active on your account.

#12 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

Technically it is possible to have ViP equipment and Hopper equipment on the same dish however for whatever reason Dish has decided that they cannot share the same account (with the exception of the 211/211K in certain circumstances.) The only way to have both would be to have two separate accounts.

#13 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

The ViP211k can be either leased or owned. Please send me a PM with your phone or account number and I'll be more than happy to see what we would need to do to upgrade keeping the ViP211k active on your account.

Unless the rules have changed since 6/7/12, to activate a 211k on a H/J account, it must be a purchased/owned receiver, not leased. For existing customers upgrading to a H/J system, all leased non-Hopper receivers, 211k's included, will be deactivated and need to be returned. The customer can purchase a 211k from Dish and have it shipped or the Tech can bring it with him when doing the H/J upgrade.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...