Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Android Jelly Bean: All the New Features

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

It matter's tremendously to application developers.

Perhaps.

I would think developers would just create apps for the latest software. Eventually, everyone will get it or they'll be upgrading their device (what's the lifespan of a phone, 2 years?). And as I said, I usually buy things for what they are currently, not future apps, so wouldn't really bother me if some app in 6 months was only for JB.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

It may look impressive (and I'm sure it is)...but wait till the carriers get it and make the usual mess of things.
Of course the "rooted" ones will be able to by-pass the usual carrier lag times.
I'll be keeping my eye on XDA Developers forum.

However new Nexus Tablet will have the pure Jelly Bean experience.

You can always buy an unlocked GSM (HSPA+) Galaxy Nexus directly from Google (just dropped price to $349) and have absolutely no bloatware and it's already getting JB today. The problem is that this means you are limited to AT&T, T-Mobile or one of the regional carriers like Cincinnati Bell.

Which leads to another point - the carriers and (I've recently learned) chip manufacturers also play a part in what phones get what OS when. Verizon is notorious for having a ridiculously tough (and costly) certification process before allowing a new device or OS onto their network.

Then you also have device manufacturers that want to put their skin on the OS and they have to do that development which takes time (and money). Which devices they decide to develop the OS for is a big factor in the whole process.

I'm currently running a leaked ICS ROM on my Bionic and it is flawless as far as I have seen in a week or so or running it. It even appears to have finally fixed the LTE/CDMA switching and data drops that have plagued this device from day one.

#23 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

I'm really looking forward to the enhancements to Notifications. The demonstration today showing how users can take action directly from the notification, without opening the app that spawned the notification, will be really convenient.

That was the part that really struck a chord with me too. Just when iOS caught up to Android with regards to notifications Google is taking them to a whole new level! Being able to quickly send a note from a meeting reminder notification will be extremely handy and I love the idea of being able to end a call from a "Call in Progress" notification.

Of course project "Butter" looks very promising but ICS is already sooooo much smoother than GB on my Bionic that I can't imagine it getting much smoother. Higher resolution devices will probably see more of an improvement I would imagine. I'm also pleased that Moto has really scaled back their customizations (Blur) in ICS, it's hard to tell the differences from stock.

#24 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

Perhaps.

I would think developers would just create apps for the latest software. Eventually, everyone will get it or they'll be upgrading their device (what's the lifespan of a phone, 2 years?). And as I said, I usually buy things for what they are currently, not future apps, so wouldn't really bother me if some app in 6 months was only for JB.

I think the bigger problem is that the lifespan of the phone is 2-3 yrs and the lifespan of the OS is 6-12 months with minimal legacy support. It's off putting to developers to spend a large effort across so many platforms AND OSs when there is little coordination for rollouts.

At some point there needs to be some consistency. It's the difference of a river full of boulders and one that is free of them.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Yesterday I downloaded the JB update for the galaxy nexus from XDA. My first impression was that the UI is smoother.

The Google Home feature is a nice addition. The voice is very impressive, just about human sounding. After asking a question, the response time is very fast. The one complaint that I have is with the cards, I wish I could manually set them up. The only card I have right now is for weather. I wounder how long it will take for it to learn that I take public transportation and baseball scores for the Rockies.

I haven't had a lot of notifications so I can't comment about it. Overall I think it's a good update for android.

My Setup
Directv '98

#26 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yesterday I downloaded the JB update for the galaxy nexus from XDA. My first impression was that the UI is smoother. The Google Home feature is a nice addition. The voice is very impressive, almost perfect human sounding. After asking a question, the response time is very fast. The one complaint that I have is with the cards, I wish I could manually set them up. The only card I have right now is for weather. I wounder how long it will take for it to learn that I take public transportation and baseball scores for the Rockies.

Sounds like you're describing "Google Now", where you can let the phone learn your habits.

I've always been leery of giving away too much information to too many sources, but this is all to Google and they already have all my information from all my devices anyway, so I'm eager to try this out when I get JellyBean on my phone and tablet...

Here's the Google Now page: http://www.google.com/landing/now/

#27 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Well, if Verizon would offer a better phone, I might bite lol It has to have 4G LTE, an actual physical keyboard, and at least a Super AMOLED screen or better. What are my options? lol

Droid 4

With the need of a physical keyboard I would never leave the Droid line as Motorola is the only company that takes it seriously and improves the keyboard each time. My wife has to have a physical keyboard so she gets those phones. The nice part is Motorola is also the best when it comes to accessories.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,046 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

I finally got ICS last Friday night on my RAZR MAXX. I wonder how long it will take to get JB. :confused:

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

I finally got ICS last Friday night on my RAZR MAXX. I wonder how long it will take to get JB. :confused:

I think a one click root is available for ICS on the MAXX.

#30 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

And how long will it take for JellyBean to reach a significant user base, especially on existing devices ?

Likely a year, even though updates will roll out to various devices in the next 30-60 days.

I can't even get an ICS update on my phone, let alone Jellybean.

Perhaps the Smithsonian will be interested in your phone. ICS has been out for a while, although manufacturers decide if/when updates roll out, not Google.

Not sure how that matters.

I just bought a new Android phone 2 weeks ago with ICS. Will it ever get JB? Don't know, don't really care. I didn't buy it for what Android might do in the future, I bought it for what it's capable of now - and I'm happy with it so far.

Now, if it received JB, I'd accept it and be glad for it, but I rarely buy anything in anticipation of what it might do in the future.

With the average smartphone user device longevity being about an average of 2 years (before they trade up or replace it)...that is likely an approach others take as well.

I think a one click root is available for ICS on the MAXX.

Rooting ICS has proven to be a risky thing on many devices. In some cases, it bricked them, in others, the ability to get future updated versions was prevented. The risk/reward evaluation for rooting mobile devices is something everyone should consider carefully before doing it.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#31 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

Rooting ICS has proven to be a risky thing on many devices. In some cases, it bricked them, in others, the ability to get future updated versions was prevented. The risk/reward evaluation for rooting mobile devices is something everyone should consider carefully before doing it.

I must say that is news to me...
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#32 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yep, I am running leaked version of ICS on my Bionic and have done several reverts to stock GB followed by manual applying ICS again and have had no problems. My Xoom was running a custom ICS ROM for months but I reverted back to stock to try the OTA build. All have easily been rooted thanks to amazing developer support in the community. It is sometimes possible to cause problems if you do something wrong but most of these root methods have gotten extremely easy these days.

#33 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Me too. Galaxy Nexus, no prob. Razr/Razr Maxx, no prob.

Just ordered the wife a GSM GalNex to replace her GalS4G. I'll unlock and root that too.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#34 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:46 AM

Me too. Galaxy Nexus, no prob. Razr/Razr Maxx, no prob.

Just ordered the wife a GSM GalNex to replace her GalS4G. I'll unlock and root that too.

If a person can read and follow instructions rooting a Android phone can be as easy as 024.... . :-) I've rooted my N1, Atrix, Inspire, Skyrocket, and GSII. By doing so I've been able to get the latest and pure Android os update well before ATT released its bloated versions. I've been running ICS for a few months before the "official" ATT release.
I've never bricked a phone or ever gone back to factory reset, except to do clean rom flashes.
HTC even posts approved rooting methods on its website (If you can't beat em help em).
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#35 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:49 AM

Yep, I am running leaked version of ICS on my Bionic and have done several reverts to stock GB followed by manual applying ICS again and have had no problems. My Xoom was running a custom ICS ROM for months but I reverted back to stock to try the OTA build. All have easily been rooted thanks to amazing developer support in the community. It is sometimes possible to cause problems if you do something wrong but most of these root methods have gotten extremely easy these days.

If a person can read and follow instructions rooting a Android phone can be as easy as 024.... . :-) I've rooted my N1, Atrix, Inspire, Skyrocket, and GSII. By doing so I've been able to get the latest and pure Android OS update well before ATT released its bloated versions. I've been running ICS for a few months before the "official" ATT release.

Glad to hear you guys had successes with rooting...however...

As a senior Moderator on an large Android site...I can tell you that I have seen literally thousands of crashed, significantly messed up, and bricked units from rooting. Even several other Moderators who know how to successfully root caution against the practice, except for those willing to see problem results.

The biggest challenges include multiple ways to root, multiple "tools" to root (there are over 15 rooting toolkits out there right now for ICS alone), and incompatibilities with installed apps that cause rooting to go haywire. In plenty of cases, it took weeks and weeks to recover for people. In other cases, there was no recovery until a full original install was done (painstakingly). Note: these were not all rookie users either.

That prompted my comments that rooting was risky, and I stand by that...even if some other folks do it blindfolded ( a minority of users).

I've successfully upgraded through 7 newer versions of Android on my tablet, and 3 on one of my phones, using the prescribed process. Never a problem with that technique.

ICS had less user rooting than previous versions, mostly because it included capabilities that prompted rooting in earlier versions. I suspect Jelly Bean will continue that pattern. There seems to be less and less reasons to root as Android versions advance. Still...some will do so anyway, despite a shorter list of motivations to do it. That's all OK, as long as folks know the risks.

#36 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

hdtvfan0001,
what is the Android website that you're a moderator of?
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:26 AM

hdtvfan0001,
what is the Android website that you're a moderator of?

I can PM that to you...

#38 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:55 AM

Maybe I've just been lucky since my first days as an OG Droid user, but even when I've thought I've seriously screwed up my phone it never took me more than a few hours to fix (Droid, Droid 2 Global, Galaxy Nexus, in my case, wife's MyTouch 3G, Galaxy S 4G in the others).

The biggest pain out of all of them was the GS4G because of the whole ODIN/THOR/HEIMDALL thing. I'll be very happy when she's got that GSM GalNex.

Edit: Also, the JB ROM I'm running on the Nexus is great, but I've got to get that new v7 JB ROM onto it because the GPS fix issue was killing me in DC this week.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#39 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Got my GNex last night, hooked up to Tmo prepaid. Very please with the speed so far, couldn't stand it so I was up late last night getting it unlocked, rooted and JB on it. I've only used ICS on my Xoom so this is the first time using it on a phone, but so far I haven't seen a huge change in the interface. Looking forward to how the Google Now learns my habits over the next few days.

The voice commands seem more accurate now, almost as good as the dragon built into swype.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#40 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Likely a year, even though updates will roll out to various devices in the next 30-60 days.

Perhaps the Smithsonian will be interested in your phone. ICS has been out for a while, although manufacturers decide if/when updates roll out, not Google.

Aren't the reports that ICS is only on about 10% of devices, even though it was released last October? Even the major carriers are still selling phones with Froyo.

spam firewall