Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Android Jelly Bean: All the New Features

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Aren't the reports that ICS is only on about 10% of devices, even though it was released last October? Even the major carriers are still selling phones with Froyo.

Not for long.

Different carriers move forward at different timelines. Some are simply slow and behind the times. ICS (Andoird v4.0) is actually ahead of many other versions from the past, and often seen as a stepping stone to Jelly Bean (Android v4.1).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,659 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Aren't the reports that ICS is only on about 10% of devices, even though it was released last October? Even the major carriers are still selling phones with Froyo.

Yup. Latest numbers came out yesterday.

http://www.androidau...are-june-99102/
/steve

#43 Guest_jessicalennita_*

Guest_jessicalennita_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

Well it is quiet interesting to hear about the android jelly bean. It is the latest version with its unique applications and the fastest performance. I have the android 4.0 ICS version and i want to upgrade to the jelly bean version as it includes the high processing speed.

#44 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

Everybody welcome the new spambots. Vaguely English on topic posting!

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#45 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Yup. Latest numbers came out yesterday.

http://www.androidau...are-june-99102/

:nono2: Looks like Earl nailed it.

And how long will it take for JellyBean to reach a significant user base, especially on existing devices ?

#46 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Glad to hear you guys had successes with rooting...however...

As a senior Moderator on an large Android site...I can tell you that I have seen literally thousands of crashed, significantly messed up, and bricked units from rooting. .

"Crashed" and "messed up" maybe some but "bricked?" Haven't seen that on XDA. Rarely ever is there a "brick" that can't be "unbricked" in minutes with the right tools (and the right forum). If your forum-folk has had soooo many issues it leads me to believe they aren't too, ummmm, knowledgeable. ;) I haven't had a crashed device since my first Android back in the beginning. Maybe because I don't run odd-ball apps. I don't even remember the last FC I have gotten. Again, maybe due to the apps I use. All pretty safe. I root them within minutes of taking them out of the package.

#47 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Edit: Also, the JB ROM I'm running on the Nexus is great, but I've got to get that new v7 JB ROM onto it because the GPS fix issue was killing me in DC this week.

What ROM are you referring to? GPS is very important to me. Been holding off on JB on my Gnex. Well, actually I did play with it for a few minutes then re-flashed back to ICS.

#48 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Oh, I'm way past that one now. I'm running Vicious now.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1738018 if you're on Verizon.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#49 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

[quote name='RasputinAXP']Oh, I'm way past that one now. I'm running Vicious now.

I've got the GSM version. Been running AOKP for ages. Waiting for his JB port.

#50 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Ah, the wife is on AOKP's JB I believe. Hold on, I'll look for it.

edit: meaning my wife has TMobile and I got her an unlocked GNex.

#51 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Oh, this looks good. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1667418

#52 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,659 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

Big ICS jump in July, to almost 17%. Still a ways to go, tho.

http://asia.cnet.com...os-62218207.htm
/steve

#53 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'm just annoyed that my wife's Xoom has already downloaded it, and my Transformer Prime has not, (but they say it will get it).

#54 OFFLINE   tranglandmarket

tranglandmarket

• Banned User
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

that's very helpful , thanks

#55 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

I'm just annoyed that my wife's Xoom has already downloaded it, and my Transformer Prime has not, (but they say it will get it).

On "standby" here as well for my Transformer awaiting Jelly Bean.

The new performance enhancements and features will be welcome.

#56 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

"Crashed" and "messed up" maybe some but "bricked?" Haven't seen that on XDA. Rarely ever is there a "brick" that can't be "unbricked" in minutes with the right tools (and the right forum). If your forum-folk has had soooo many issues it leads me to believe they aren't too, ummmm, knowledgeable. ;) I haven't had a crashed device since my first Android back in the beginning. Maybe because I don't run odd-ball apps. I don't even remember the last FC I have gotten. Again, maybe due to the apps I use. All pretty safe. I root them within minutes of taking them out of the package.

I don't dispute what you're saying...but I can tell you that many, many folks who attempted or executed rooting had a wide range of problems, and some bricking as well. To your point, it's not for either the faint-hearted nor uninformed. XDA loyalists tend to be some advanced users, so they likely have far better results.

My Android tablet has never crashed either.

As for Jelly Bean...based on the accelerated release of new hardware...I suspect it will be a dominant Android version within months of its release on each device that can run it.

#57 ONLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

Well, my patience finally paid off, my Transformer Prime downloaded Jelly Bean this morning.

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Well, my patience finally paid off, my Transformer Prime downloaded Jelly Bean this morning.

Very cool.

I suspect you'll have to go through the customary "tweaking process of a few updates"...but at least you're there.

#59 ONLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Jellybean is supposed to be coming for Samsung Galaxy tablets in October.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#60 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

Jellybean is supposed to be coming for Samsung Galaxy tablets in October.

...and on the original ASUS TF101 Android Tablet in November.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...