Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report says DirecTV has "no interest" in WWE Network

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,187 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

But that was before television :lol:

I remember watching "Professional Wrestling" in black and white. Portland Wrestling (Oregon) was perhaps bigger than roller derby at the time.

I actually prefer the old-school stuff as there were a whole lot more conventional wrestling moves and practically no bleeding. The drama never dominated the grappling.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Do they ever actually rassle anymore, or do they just take turns standing in the middle of the ring with a microphone insulting each other?

I was still a member of a wrestling news site long after I gave up watching it altogether. A friend of mine clocks how much in-ring "sports entertainment" (they aren't even allowed to call it wrestling apparently anymore) there is. Now for comparison, back when I was obsessed with it as a kid, I'd time the matches on TV. I found that the average 1 hour show from both NWA/WCW and the WWF there would be 20-25 minutes of wrestling featuring the name guys beating the crap out of the no names. Now, on a 2 hour show it's (drum roll).....about the same length of in-ring "action". Here's the difference, many years ago I went to one of those NWA shows that wound up being a TV taping for NWA Worldwide Wrestling and NWA Pro Wrestling. There were other matches on the show not aired on TV that made it a full wrestling night, probably an hour or so more stuff including an infamous "Skywalkers" Scaffold match. Now, you go pay a whole lot more than was paid back then to sit there and essentially watch exactly what you see on TV. Maybe they give a match or 2 extra but I'm sure they last maybe 10-15 minutes total and ultimately signify nothing. If I'm wrong about this last part, I'm wrong and someone is free to correct me. It's so made for TV now it's pathetic.

I read on Zap2it back when USA did their upfronts that Raw is expanding to 3 hours every week soon proving those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Edited by zimm7778, 29 June 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

I sure hope this is true.

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Too bad Soapnet is losing distributors as well because they could just merge with them and be a one stop shop.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

I was still a member of a wrestling news site long after I gave up watching it altogether. A friend of mine clocks how much in-ring "sports entertainment" (they aren't even allowed to call it wrestling apparently anymore) there is. Now for comparison, back when I was obsessed with it as a kid, I'd time the matches on TV. I found that the average 1 hour show from both NWA/WCW and the WWF there would be 20-25 minutes of wrestling featuring the name guys beating the crap out of the no names. Now, on a 2 hour show it's (drum roll).....about the same length of in-ring "action". Here's the difference, many years ago I went to one of those NWA shows that wound up being a TV taping for NWA Worldwide Wrestling and NWA Pro Wrestling. There were other matches on the show not aired on TV that made it a full wrestling night, probably an hour or so more stuff including an infamous "Skywalkers" Scaffold match. Now, you go pay a whole lot more than was paid back then to sit there and essentially watch exactly what you see on TV. Maybe they give a match or 2 extra but I'm sure they last maybe 10-15 minutes total and ultimately signify nothing. If I'm wrong about this last part, I'm wrong and someone is free to correct me. It's so made for TV now it's pathetic.

I read on Zap2it back when USA did their upfronts that Raw is expanding to 3 hours every week soon proving those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

That just brought back memories of being in St Pete Fl in the early/mid 80's and seeing Championship Wrestling fro Florida at the Bayfront Center every Saturday. Admission was $5 and I still have the blood soaked t-shirt from when Ric Flair and Abdullah the Butcher ended up in my lap.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#26 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

That just brought back memories of being in St Pete Fl in the early/mid 80's and seeing Championship Wrestling fro Florida at the Bayfront Center every Saturday. Admission was $5 and I still have the blood soaked t-shirt from when Ric Flair and Abdullah the Butcher ended up in my lap.

Not being from here (if you noticed I live in Tampa) I saw all my shows at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Jacksonville. Question, where exactly was the Bayfront Center? I know it's torn down but where was it? Was it close to Tropicana Field?

And about Flair and Abdullah, you probably saw more in that one match then people see now in a weeks worth of both WE(no point in using that other W anymore) and TNA.

#27 OFFLINE   chick3112215

chick3112215

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

ohwell, now what are my teenage sons going to watch? :rolleyes:

#28 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

Question, where exactly was the Bayfront Center? I know it's torn down but where was it? Was it close to Tropicana Field?

Not too far from Tropicana Field, probably about 2 miles east -- it was right in downtown St. Pete on Tampa Bay (as the name would imply).
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#29 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

Has ANY provider said they have any interest in it? WWE wanted to launch it before WrestleMania but no one agreed to it. They have a hard enough time getting their shows distributed in the USA. When Raw moved back to USA, they did't pick up Heat, Velocity, The WWE Experience, and Afterburn and Bottom Line left syndication. In order to get Smackdown on Syfy they had to give up NXT's timeslot. The new Superstars show barely lasted a year before WGN America dropped it and now its being canned for a new version of Main Event on Ion. Oddly enough all of these shows and more are still produced and distributed internationally although some cancellations and replacements have occured in the past 7 years. (Velocity was replaced with ECW which itself was replaced with NXT, Heat was replaced with WWE Vintage Collection hosted by Mean Gene, an additional half hour show called This Week in WWE debuted.) And now WWE isn't even streaming the new NXT in the USA and aren't even acknowledging that it exists on air or on their site. This weeks episode had new commentary that clearly caters to the international market. (i.e. JR always saying "in the states" when referring to a superstar's hometown)

#30 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:35 AM

Well, I guess thanks for the tv history lesson. Here's the dirty little secret, most if not all tv networks don't want it. They air it because of the ratings it brings in helps them sell ads to everything else and call themselves the #1 cable network in America or whatever higher number they got to. Even when wrestling was hot those who ran TBS were not happy losing an evening of prime time to Thunder. But, when they did that they dropped the 2 1 hour long weekend shows. Wrestling is not what it was in the late 90s. Dare I say it never, ever, ever will be again and it's because of what I talked about earlier. Until those in charge at both WE and TNA realize people tune in for WRESTLING there will continue to be a lack of interest. He can run off all the old time fans and cheer as we leave because we aren't who he wants and that's great if we are being replaced at the same rate we are leaving.....we aren't and apparently ratings bear this out. So, now bringing this back to this stupid network idea. A genre with a lack of interest altogether + low ad rates because top advertisers won't advertise on these type shows due to the stigma attached to them = Providers not interested.

I believe I said this before. All it would have taken was a little brain matter in order to see this wasn't going to work. You have an on demand service that is a premium. Meaning you sell it to consumers in addition to their regular bill. Through Verizon it was $9.99. This programming took up space on computer servers which the providers have or could have plenty of. They STILL couldn't get a lot of providers or either satellite company to take it. So, now their answer to this was to start a network that was going to take up part of the limited bandwidth on these providers channel lineup? Didn't see it then and I don't see it now.

#31 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

I just don't see most carriers would add this to a package. There simply is just not enough interest to raise rates for everyone over it, when by percentage so few will watch. And WWE knows going as a premium channel, they are only going to get that very small percentage that would pay every month. Their best shot is to team up with an existing channel that would want to split time with them more than just showing an event.

#32 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

I liked wrestling when it was a sport. Bring on the Olympics.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#33 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

I liked wrestling when it was a sport. Bring on the Olympics.

Let's be fair, pro wrestling was never a sport. I just liked it when it looked like one, had "rules" governing it, and what mattered happened in the ring. Imagine watching a football game and 3/4 of the game were just players yelling at each other from opposite sides of the field or doing bush league SNL skits in the locker room.

#34 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

ohwell, now what are my teenage sons going to watch? :rolleyes:

Real sports, ones that don't have a "fixed" outcome. :lol:
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#35 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Let's be fair, pro wrestling was never a sport. I just liked it when it looked like one, had "rules" governing it, and what mattered happened in the ring. Imagine watching a football game and 3/4 of the game were just players yelling at each other from opposite sides of the field or doing bush league SNL skits in the locker room.

Except the NFL doesn't fix the outcome of their games. WWE is a "faux" sport.

As for this channel, another one I wouldn't watch or pay for.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#36 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

Except the NFL doesn't fix the outcome of their games. WWE is a "faux" sport.

As for this channel, another one I wouldn't watch or pay for.

That's kind of what I said.

#37 OFFLINE   Chilcoot

Chilcoot

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I am sorry people won't get programming they desire, whatever it is.

I'm very glad that I do not like wrestling, I don't think I could like myself if I did. But that's just me, ymmv.

#38 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

Why does something tell me that if a distributor wants to carry it, it's going to forced on the lowest package like ESPN is, and cost more than the average channel?

#39 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Wrestling is not what it was in the late 90s. Dare I say it never, ever, ever will be again and it's because of what I talked about earlier.

Wrestling peaked in the late 40s or early 50s. Its decline was due to over exposure and replacing sport with theatrics. Wrestling in the Olympics is still a sport, but what passes for pro wrestling on RAW, WWE, etc, is pure garbage. What existed in the late 90s cannot hold a candle to what wrestling was in the late 40s.

#40 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Why does something tell me that if a distributor wants to carry it, it's going to forced on the lowest package like ESPN is, and cost more than the average channel?

I can't imagine any provider would and it isn't like they are in any position to demand it. If the NFL can't get it, no way WE is. That's laughable to think they'd even try.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...