Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report says DirecTV has "no interest" in WWE Network

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:10 AM

ohwell, now what are my teenage sons going to watch? :rolleyes:

Perhaps something that challenges their brains a little more. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'd consider a premium type channel if they include some live PPV's on it.

#43 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

I'd consider a premium type channel if they include some live PPV's on it.

They can move every single solitary ppv there. But that will within a year or two signify nothing. They will create new ppvs and charge the outrageous price they do now and essentially the ones on their network will become the equivalent of slightly more worthwhile than a weekly show so they can push their viewers back to ppv ordering. They are NOT going to give up ppv revenue for long. They cannot afford to do so.

#44 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

I've been a HUGE fan since the early 90s... I've been to over 50 shows and 10 PPVs. I have several pieces of gear signed by the performers. Now, with all that said..

I wouldn't pay a dime for the current WWE product.

In the last couple of years, I've tried to watch RAW and Smackdown at least a dozen times, but either I fall asleep or turn the channel out of embarrassment. Except Wrestlemainia, I have no idea who is even on the PPV cards anymore. The late 90s pro wrestling product "grew up" with the fans of Hulk, Ultimate Warrior and gave us Stone Cold, DX, The Rock, and NWO, blurring the lines of just BAD and GOOD. It seems that WWF/WWE is going backwards to cater to its youngest possible audience that only understands "cheer for the good guy, boo the bad guy". If you had to give it a rating, I would say it went from Rated G, to PG-13 (R PPVs), now we are somewhere at PG (I hear damn and hell every now and then).

I'm no longer the core audience. The parents buy little Ralphie his John Cena shirt, replica WWE belt, and Vince makes his millions anyway, which is the point of any business.
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#45 OFFLINE   bigmike200587

bigmike200587

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I remember watching "Professional Wrestling" in black and white. Portland Wrestling (Oregon) was perhaps bigger than roller derby at the time.

I actually prefer the old-school stuff as there were a whole lot more conventional wrestling moves and practically no bleeding. The drama never dominated the grappling.

Does anyone know if they do roller derby anymore? I used to love when it was on but have not seen anything about it for years!
Self Built Xion Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB Ram

I am a DIRECTV employee however all views, expressions, opinions, facts, platitudes, conjecture, compliments, criticisms, are mine even if logic dictates otherwise and are not on behalf of DIRECTV, TiVo, Thompson/RCA, Technicolor, LG, Samsung, Zinwell, or any company that may or may not be affiliated, contracted with, in the same country, making money, not for profit, or a government entity.

#46 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

AJ is the only storyline in the WWE right now that's fascinating. Otherwise bleh.

#47 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if they do roller derby anymore? I used to love when it was on but have not seen anything about it for years!

we have roller derby in huntsville

#48 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,482 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

There are no broadcasts that I know of, but as boukengreen alluded to, there's plenty of roller derby going on in the country as present. (There are at least two teams in Los Angeles, one banked-track, one flat-track -- at my previous job, I worked with a couple women who were on the banked-track team.)

Ashland might be a little small for a team, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a team in Charleston, or maybe even Huntington.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#49 OFFLINE   leprechaun106317

leprechaun106317

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

According to recent reports, Vince McMahon wants to make it a premium channel at 14.95 a month and it will include all PPVs except WrestleMania.

#50 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:18 AM

According to recent reports, Vince McMahon wants to make it a premium channel at 14.95 a month and it will include all PPVs except WrestleMania.

That's not a bad deal if it's true, and it still wouldn't be a bad deal even if it excluded the other 3 major PPV's (Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, Survivor Series).

#51 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

Hmmm with their wrestling library and most PPV's not horrible. I suppose Directv would add it then?

#52 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hmmm with their wrestling library and most PPV's not horrible. I suppose Directv would add it then?

PPV is a different beast, its a nice cash cow, and there is a lot less negotiating needed. If DirecTV thinks it can sell a certain number of PPVs, it will get the content for that specific live events.

Fight matches that aren't all acting/staged actually make a pretty penny. Not sure how many would want to pay for wrestling, but I would imagine it is enough to make money.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#53 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Well if they do a premium scheme where they want $14.95 from us then I don't see why Directv wouldn't do it. It's not like they want to be in a basic package that way. Must be Vince overestimated the value of a WWE channel and just assumed all providers would be clamoring for the channel.

#54 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

Like I said a long time ago, he couldn't get many clearances for a premium level on demand channel which takes up bandwidth space on servers and computers. If they couldn't get that I don't know why he or anyone else thinks providers were just waiting to add a 24 hour network of theirs to take up actual channel space and to PAY THEM to let it be there like they do USA, ESPN, TNT, etc. Actually this mentality is addressed at the end of this post.

If Directv can't sell it to enough people they'd be losing money on it. When I stopped watching there were around 200,000 people total ordering at I think $50 each? Last I also knew, Directv and other providers get about 60% of that. That translates to $30 a pop for them. Granted I'm using round numbers but $30 * 200,000 is $6,000,000 all providers together were getting. Now, even based by the same split: 60% of $14.95 (rounding up to $15 for simplicity) is $9. In order for this to make financial sense for Directv they along with every other provider out there combined would have to sell this network to a total of 666,667 people. Sorry, I don't see it happening. From a business standpoint it makes no sense for the providers. So:

-It wasn't going to have widespread distribution anyway so the ppvs were still going to have to be offered to those who don't carry it.
-If McMahon in his infinite wisdom decided to hold ppvs or wrestlemania over the heads of the providers to force them to carry it, guess who'd lose? It wouldn't be the providers. He tried this once before and when Directv didn't renew their agreement and went a few months without them being on, it was McMahon and the WWF who suffered and that was when there was still a lot of interest in the product.
-as I said in another post, if somehow, some way it got on every single provider. It still wouldn't matter because the company banks on that ppv revenue and at some point all those ppv events moved to their network are going to wind up being relegated to SNME level or dying days of Clash of Champions type events and new ppvs will wind up back on for them to take even more. They'd have to. They aren't going to make enough off this channel to make up for the loss of the other ppv revenue and new infrastructure of this channel.

The only way this was ever going to work was to be on some sort of package, either a basic one or sports. The idea of a premium channel for $15 that includes all ppvs but one will kill their bottom line and if they are that headstrong will sink them altogether. Sometimes it takes one really, really bad idea to wipe you out no matter how successful you've been. If they continue marching down this road, this is setting up to be that idea.

Edited by zimm7778, 08 July 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#55 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

http://www.cagesides...s-to-break-even

Read. I read It for the first time now and it states the flaws I discussed in my previous post.

#56 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Very good points by Meltzer. Would I subscribe? Probably but not sure a lot of folks would. It will be very interesting to see how this all pans out.

#57 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

i think that comcast would probably be wwe biggest cable provider that would offer the channel.

alot of WWE shows are on NBC affliates which comcast owns, so I'm not saying offically comcast will carry WWE network, but as it is looking it seems that comcast is seems to be the biggest provider that would.

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#58 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

i think that comcast would probably be wwe biggest cable provider that would offer the channel.

alot of WWE shows are on NBC affliates which comcast owns, so I'm not saying offically comcast will carry WWE network, but as it is looking it seems that comcast is seems to be the biggest provider that would.

I don't think Comcast as a whole cares about WWE. I don't think they are waiting for them to fail or anything, but I think they care about them as much as they care about any other shows they don't own. They do not own a stake in the company. As long as the shows perform well, they'll stay on USA/Syfy. They don't, they are gone. This idea of a network is a bad one. It was when they first mentioned it and it's only gotten to be a bigger one now. If they really want to make this a sub only thing then it needs to be Internet streaming, include all the ppvs on it if they want and do it that way. I don't mean On Demand. I mean a live 24 hour streaming channel. This way you leave the TV situation alone altogether. Then when it fails they can just pull the plug on the Internet service without much of an issue as opposed to dealing with providers and contracts that way.

#59 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

This is going to make a lot of people like my Uncle mad. He likes Wrestling, and regularly watches/records them on Monday night and Friday night (I think lol). It's included in our subscription, so basically costs nothing (I KINDA see it that way. You pretty much HAVE to have USA and Scyfy to have Directv, so little difficult not to have WWE). He never buys the PPVs, so he's going to see it as WWE and Directv wanting an additional $15-$18 a month to watch his wrestling that he currently gets in his regular package (If Directv even carries it). As a side note, I wonder If USA and Scyfy will drop their costs to Directv, and if Directv would pass that savings onto us? ;) :rolleyes:

#60 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

You have to factor in the people like me who would sub to see all the old 70's, 80's, and 90's shows. There are a lot of us out there that would pay for the channel that do not watch the current product. A million subs seems like a lot though. It's a risk that could pay off and it could also very well bankrupt the company if it fails.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

Protected By... spam firewall...And...