Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report says DirecTV has "no interest" in WWE Network

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,912 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'm glad they don't we have enough garbage already.

Obviously, you didn't read the report. It would be an optional channel that would cost those who want it.

I'm sure there's channels you like that others world consider to be garbage.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Obviously, you didn't read the report. It would be an optional channel that would cost those who want it.

I'm sure there's channels you like that others world consider to be garbage.

Every channel has a cost to everyone one way or another.
DTV = Digital Television

#83 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,912 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I understand that. However, it'd cost those who sub to it a bit more, and those opposed to "garbage channels" won't have to worry about seeing it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#84 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

It's entertainment and not really geared to young boys.

I'm not sure why the Dodgers have fans. ;)

I'm also not sure why people care about what others watch.

I understand it is entertainment. I just do not understand the appeal.

I understand the appeal of real sports, any sport, even sports that I personally do not like. But it is difficult for me to understand how someone can be so entertained about an event that is staged, planned, and acted.

Within real sports part of the appeal is rooting for your team, knowing that nothing is determined and anything can change the outcome. If I already knew that the team I loved already had their season scripted so nothing they did really matters in the outcome, and they were just going through the motions, I would not want to watch.

I am not trying to criticize anyone or WWE; I honestly have a hard time understanding.

#85 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,912 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I understand the appeal of real sports, any sport, even sports that I personally do not like. But it is difficult for me to understand how someone can be so entertained about an event that is staged, planned, and acted.

Within real sports part of the appeal is rooting for your team, knowing that nothing is determined and anything can change the outcome. If I already knew that the team I loved already had their season scripted so nothing they did really matters in the outcome, and they were just going through the motions, I would not want to watch.

I am not trying to criticize anyone or WWE; I honestly have a hard time understanding.

The thing is wrestling, as in the WWE, isn't a sport. It's just like every other show on television. All tv dramas, sitcoms and movies are, as you say, "staged, planned, and acted." Storylines are made, the wrestlers get into character just like actors, etc.

#86 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

One person's garbage is another person's treasure. There are a lot of channels on Directv that some people like that I wouldn't care if they were gone. To each his/her own.

#87 ONLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

My family has been anticipating this and was willing to pay for it. As much as $10 a month. I know the boys would have gotten much more use out of this than HBO or Showtime.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#88 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

One person's garbage is another person's treasure. There are a lot of channels on Directv that some people like that I wouldn't care if they were gone. To each his/her own.

That is why I am all for everything being ala-cart.

#89 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

WOW, this is better then Epix, gimmie a break!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#90 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

That is why I am all for everything being ala-cart.

Not gonna happen.
DTV = Digital Television

#91 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

WOW, this is better then Epix, gimmie a break!

Thats what i don't understand about the "movie lovers".. you guys want ALL the movie channels.. To watch movies that has THE SAME ENDING ALL THE TIME!!!

I mean will Reservoir Dogs have a different ending on EPIX then it would on Showtime???

#92 ONLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Prowrestling.net is reporting that DirecTV is considering carrying the WWE Network as a new premium network according to a survey issued by the company to its subscribers.

The survey states that the proposed WWE Network would involve a separate monthly fee on top of the DirecTV subscription and eleven out of the twelve current WWE pay-per-views would be shown on the network "free" for subscribers, or better yet, as part of their monthly fee.

The other pay-per-view, WrestleMania, would not be airing on the network but only as a pay-per-view. The remaining eleven shows would still air on pay-per-view for those individuals who do not subscribe to the Network.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#93 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I know some renters here in the house would love to have WWE Network, in fact they order a PPV event without my knowledge(which I wasn't so happy when I looked at the bill) which they paid but I had to block the PPV channels with $0 spending limit.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#94 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Ok from one dodger fan to another, i'll try this for you.
I had a book back in the day by a man by the name of Dr. Gerald Morgan and he wrote a book called "Wrestling to Rasslin'" and he was featured on a doc back in the late 90s called The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling that aired on A&E.
On that program he said this:

"If we look at Pro Wrestling as fake, the we're trying to judge it for something it is NOT intending to be. It is NOT a sporting competition, it is an exhibition. Would we refer to an performance of Shakespeare as fake?? Of course not. Wrestling is drama. The word "fake" is irrelevant when you view it for being what it really is. Professional Wrestling is a form of theatre."

90% of wrestling fans KNOWS this already.. We don't look at wrestling for its "sporting" value. We look at wrestling for its entertainment value the same anyone would look at their favorite TV shows or movies.. I cant remember his name but one wrestler said "We are Storytellers, not wrestlers". I missed those days where wrestling told a story, the days where you only has 4 PPVs a year, and you look forward to all of them because back then you had to tell the story to lead up to the show, something that is sorely missed in todays wrestling shows. Now you just have to wait until next month because they run PPVs every month...

I been a wrestling fan since 1984 and even when i "smartened up" to the business, I still watched it because it was at the end of the day, doing what it was intending to do, entertain. Yes the business has it demons, some very DARK demons from things such as drugs, steroids and dare i say, homosexuality and other sexual issues.. But to some of us, Pro Wrestling is like an oncoming train wreck.. that you just can't turn away from...

Probably not, but hope this helps...

Ben
Voodoo

#95 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Wow! Some of you here are terribly judgmental. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to bash those who do like it and find it entertaining. I love sports and I love wrestling. But I don't put them in the same category. That's silly.

Wrestling is like live theater with the added physicality one would find In sports. It's very offense to tell us what we should be viewing and what we should find as "garbage". I don't care for shows like "American Idol" or "Glee" or "Justified" or "Downtown Abby", but I don't go around proclaiming them to be "garbage" or question why anyone watches them. That would be just rude and obnoxious. You don't have to "understand" why someone is entertained by a scripted program. Most TV programs are scripted though, fyi. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.

I'm all for WWE Network and I think it would be pretty successful, knowing how big and loyal the fan base is. The demand for this content is much stronger than some of you may think...
<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>
DIRECTV Since August 2002. Thanks for DLB & MRV DIRECTV!

NFL Sunday Ticket + Superfan since 2004 Go KC Chiefs!

#96 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Wow! Some of you here are terribly judgmental. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to bash those who do like it and find it entertaining. I love sports and I love wrestling. But I don't put them in the same category. That's silly.

Wrestling is like live theater with the added physicality one would find In sports. It's very offense to tell us what we should be viewing and what we should find as "garbage". I don't care for shows like "American Idol" or "Glee" or "Justified" or "Downtown Abby", but I don't go around proclaiming them to be "garbage" or question why anyone watches them. That would be just rude and obnoxious. You don't have to "understand" why someone is entertained by a scripted program. Most TV programs are scripted though, fyi. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.

I'm all for WWE Network and I think it would be pretty successful, knowing how big and loyal the fan base is. The demand for this content is much stronger than some of you may think...

Amen brother!

#97 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

My son in law likes it, says it's a soap opera for guys. Mostly younger guys I would guess but I don't know that.

#98 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Where's the poll to vote to allow them to see whether or not it's worth their while to provide it?? Oh - they didn't have one? That makes good business sense.....

#99 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Where's the poll to vote to allow them to see whether or not it's worth their while to provide it?? Oh - they didn't have one? That makes good business sense.....

They have ways of gauging support.
DTV = Digital Television

#100 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Not quite true. Some channels pay for themselves, reducing the overall costs for everyone. QVC for instance.

Now, one could consider opportunity costs, but that just changes the value DIRECTV would charge to the paid channels.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall