Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report says DirecTV has "no interest" in WWE Network

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Not quite true. Some channels pay for themselves, reducing the overall costs for everyone. QVC for instance.

It is true actually. Cost isn't always measured in financial terms. Every channel costs us one way or another. Even channels that pay for their own carriage have a cost.
DTV = Digital Television

#102 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

They have ways of gauging support.

To that point, DIRECTV uses a model to determine the value of a channel. When the channel overvalues itself against the current market, it doesn't get added or might get removed.

Then there is the gamesmanship, even in the public. This statement might indicate that WWE tried a price point way, way too high. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#103 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Cost isn't always measured in financial terms. Every channel costs us one way or another.

Yes, one could consider the "cost" of having one more item in the guide for people to skip. Generally those "costs" are so trivial as to be meaningless against the overall financial cost reductions of a high margin paid channel.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#104 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Yes, one could consider the "cost" of having one more item in the guide for people to skip. Generally those "costs" are so trivial as to be meaningless against the overall financial cost reductions of a high margin paid channel.

Peace,
Tom

An item in the guide to skip over? No. Not at all what I was referring to in relation to cost. Resources. If there were not some manner of "cost" involved...they would add more of the paid channels and/or free to air channels than they have. There is however. So it isn't as simple as saying that because a channel is free or pays to carried it doesn't cost anything.

Edited by Hoosier205, 11 February 2013 - 12:48 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#105 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

An item in the guide to skip over? No. Not at all what I was referring to in relation to cost. Resources.

Resources are easily converted back to finances, even easier than the opportunity costs that I mentioned in my original post. So if the margin is higher than that for the "average" channel or otherwise meet the targets, the channel still reduces the cost to everyone else more than "it costs" everyone else.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#106 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Resources are easily converted back to finances, even easier than the opportunity costs that I mentioned in my original post. So if the margin is higher than that for the "average" channel or otherwise meet the targets, the channel still reduces the cost to everyone else more than "it costs" everyone else.

Peace,
Tom

They have limited resources until they get another bird up and as we've seen from Dish...a successful launch is not guaranteed. No matter the retrans rate or who is paying it, it costs us all something: Capacity. Nothing is free. There is always a cost somewhere, in some form.
DTV = Digital Television

#107 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

They have limited resources until they get another bird up and as we've seen from Dish...a successful launch is not guaranteed. No matter the retrans rate or who is paying it, it costs us all something: Capacity. Nothing is free. There is always a cost somewhere, in some form.

Of course there are costs.(Sounds like a "well, duh" concept.) :)

Lots of costs, in fact--to DIRECTV. But that doesn't mean the net is a cost that everyone pays. There is also a direct income that by virtue of the higher margin reduces my costs. Which is what we're interested in (and talking about.)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#108 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Of course there are costs.

Which is what I said. Every channel, regardless of its rate, has a cost. A simple comment.

Every channel has a cost to everyone one way or another.

DTV = Digital Television

#109 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

when does the WWE network starts? i been hearing about this network for about 5 years now

#110 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

when does the WWE network starts? i been hearing about this network for about 5 years now

That's not known. They couldn't get any providers to pick it up last year and now they have retooled it.
DTV = Digital Television

#111 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

That's not known. They couldn't get any providers to pick it up last year and now they have retooled it.

that what i figure, i not a big wrestling fan but my brother is a "indy" wrestler, so i kinda follow it

#112 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Of course there are costs.

Which is what I said. Every channel, regardless of its rate, has a cost. A simple comment.

Every channel has a cost to everyone one way or another.

These are two different statements. 1) every channel has a cost (to someone) is very different from 2) every channel has a cost to everyone.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#113 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

An unsubstantiated opinion. It might be known, just not by us here. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#114 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

These are two different statements. 1) every channel has a cost (to someone) is very different from 2) every channel has a cost to everyone.

Peace,
Tom

No they are not.
DTV = Digital Television

#115 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

An unsubstantiated opinion. It might be known, just not by us here. :)

Peace,
Tom

I posted the information we have available at this time.

When it will be launched is not known.

They failed to reach a deal with any providers last year.

They have retooled and are making another run at it.
DTV = Digital Television

#116 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

No they are not.

Sure they are. Estimates may vary... :)

Go Packers!

#117 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

When it will be launched is not known.

They failed to reach a deal with any providers last year.

They have retooled and are making another run at it.

In other words when it will launch is not known by some. Other estimates of known-ingness may vary. Like, maybe, by the people who should know. They might have a date that we here don't know. Still known, estimated by others, and unknown to some of us. (I don't know and I don't care enough to research to estimate.) :)

And "any"? Is there something that says they didn't reach a deal with NTNCS? (Next to nowhere cable systems?) Or is that an estimate too?

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#118 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I posted the information we have available at this time. When it will be launched is not known. It isn't. A launch date is not known...therefore it is unknown. Pretty simple. They failed to reach a deal with any providers last year. This was reported by the New York Post. They have retooled and are making another run at it. This was announced during a conference call in November of 2012.
DTV = Digital Television

#119 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 146 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

I posted the information we have available at this time. When it will be launched is not known. It isn't. A launch date is not known...therefore it is unknown. Pretty simple. They failed to reach a deal with any providers last year. This was reported by the New York Post. They have retooled and are making another run at it. This was announced during a conference call in November of 2012.

As a long time subscriber to The Wrestling Observer (don't laugh, it is an awesome business journal), what Hoosier205 says is right on the money.

#120 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'm sorry, I don't see such a post. Could you repost that link. Thanks.

When it will be launched is not known. It isn't. A launch date is not known...therefore it is unknown. Pretty simple.

What if someone at WWE knows it but we here don't. It is known... But not published. Pretty simple concept, eh? :)

They failed to reach a deal with any providers last year. This was reported by the New York Post. They have retooled and are making another run at it. This was announced during a conference call in November of 2012.

Links?
And I ask again, "any?" Even one is more than "not any". (And, as has been requested of others, proof?)

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

spam firewall