Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report says DirecTV has "no interest" in WWE Network

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

As a long time subscriber to The Wrestling Observer (don't laugh, it is an awesome business journal), what Hoosier205 says is right on the money.

Thanks. He knows.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks. He knows.

Links?

Besides, how can I trust an anonymous someone who admits to being a long time reader of The Wrestling Observer? :)

Just kidding, but I couldn't resist Mr(?) Nash's admission. I realize that WWE is a big business and any industry can have good biz journals. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#123 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks. He knows.

Hey, wait... I thought you said it was unknown? Now you say "he knows". So it is known? :grin:

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#124 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Links?

Besides, how can I trust an anonymous someone who admits to being a long time reader of The Wrestling Observer? :)

Just kidding, but I couldn't resist Mr(?) Nash's admission. I realize that WWE is a big business and any industry can have good biz journals. :)

Peace,
Tom

Google Dave Meltzer. The man is the guru of all things pro wrestling and MMA. As for links, all his stuff is behind a pay wall, which I would not violate. However, he has been covering the stop/start progress of the WWE Network since its inception, and Hoosier205's assertions mirror what Meltzer has reported.

#125 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Links?

Peace,
Tom

http://tinyurl.com/bc4xmkm
DTV = Digital Television

#126 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hey, wait... I thought you said it was unknown? Now you say "he knows". So it is known? :grin:

Seems to be a bit beneath your position. :rolleyes:
DTV = Digital Television

#127 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

http://tinyurl.com/bc4xmkm

Sorry, a link to searching google is not providing proof. A comment was made that information was posted, I can't find such, an apparently none was actually posted.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#128 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Seems to be a bit beneath your position. :rolleyes:

Not if some humor might be found. :)

Go Packers!

#129 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Sorry, a link to searching google is not providing proof. A comment was made that information was posted, I can't find such, an apparently none was actually posted.

Peace,
Tom

Then you didn't check the link.
DTV = Digital Television

#130 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Google Dave Meltzer. The man is the guru of all things pro wrestling and MMA. As for links, all his stuff is behind a pay wall, which I would not violate. However, he has been covering the stop/start progress of the WWE Network since its inception, and Hoosier205's assertions mirror what Meltzer has reported.

Sorry, I'm not making the assertions. Thems that assert need to provide the evidence when asked, politely.

Now, I do understand that things are behind paywalls. And I very much appreciate that you are respecting that. Thank you.

Now my point is the "any" clause. I'm sure there weren't enough to make a launch, but do we know there were zero, nada, zip, none distributors making an agreement. Even a handshake agreement? Sure it is possibly true.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#131 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Then you didn't check the link.

How is that "known"? :D

I checked. It came back with a google search, not a link to a source. Useless as proof.

Thems that make the assertions need to actually do their own homework.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#132 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Sorry, I'm not making the assertions. Thems that assert need to provide the evidence when asked, politely.

Now, I do understand that things are behind paywalls. And I very much appreciate that you are respecting that. Thank you.

Now my point is the "any" clause. I'm sure there weren't enough to make a launch, but do we know there were zero, nada, zip, none distributors making an agreement. Even a handshake agreement? Sure it is possibly true.

Peace,
Tom

Are you still seriously going down this road? As a Moderator, do you have absolutely nothing better to do than dwell on the implications of the use of the word "any?"

Subscribe to Meltzer's site. Do a back issue search. You'll see that no agreements were reached with ANY distributors.

#133 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Folks, this thread is not a private conversation between two parties, it is an open discussion between all forum members about WWE.

Thank you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#134 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Thanks, Stuart. We've moved to PM.

Thanks, TJNASH, for your supporting information. I have another question which will be in another post in a second.

Thanks, Hoosier205, for being a passionate DBStalker.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#135 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

TJNash (or anyone for that matter)

Do you or Mr. Meltzer have a feeling that WWE will be able to launch a re-tooled network? I have seen that WWE can have some big draws for the networks who carried their events from time to time. Is that enough to carry a whole network?

(And, if you don't mind my making fun of myself, I'm looking for opinions, critical thinking, feelings, etc. but I don't need proof.) :) :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#136 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

As with anything, it depends on the business model they choose. My recollection is that initially, the concept was an advertiser supported, general interest type network (heavy on the wrestling, and with original programming featuring the wrestlers.) This idea gained zero traction, and the "launch" date (never set in stone) of the day after Wrestlemania 28 was tabled.

Now we are hearing rumblings of a subscription based service which would include most of the monthly PPV's. If that is the case, it's all about the price point. I do know that the WWE OnDemand service never made them any money, but that was more nostalgia based. As to what the impact is of essentially giving away PPV cannibalizes the core WWE business, that is up to a wiser analyst than I to determine.

However, looking at the lack of success Vince McMahon has had outside of his wheelhouse (XFL, Movies,) entering into the network TV business could be a huge mistake. Or he could hit another home run, as he seems to do every 15 years or so.

Do you or Mr. Meltzer have a feeling that WWE will be able to launch a re-tooled network? I have seen that WWE can have some big draws for the networks who carried their events from time to time. Is that enough to carry a whole network?

(And, if you don't mind my making fun of myself, I'm looking for opinions, critical thinking, feelings, etc. but I don't need proof.) :) :)

Peace,
Tom

#137 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

As with anything, it depends on the business model they choose. My recollection is that initially, the concept was an advertiser supported, general interest type network (heavy on the wrestling, and with original programming featuring the wrestlers.) This idea gained zero traction, and the "launch" date (never set in stone) of the day after Wrestlemania 28 was tabled.

Now we are hearing rumblings of a subscription based service which would include most of the monthly PPV's. If that is the case, it's all about the price point. I do know that the WWE OnDemand service never made them any money, but that was more nostalgia based. As to what the impact is of essentially giving away PPV cannibalizes the core WWE business, that is up to a wiser analyst than I to determine.

However, looking at the lack of success Vince McMahon has had outside of his wheelhouse (XFL, Movies,) entering into the network TV business could be a huge mistake. Or he could hit another home run, as he seems to do every 15 years or so.

Am I right in guessing that WWE might be hoping to get more people who are able/willing to pay, say for example, $15/month than are able/willing to pay $50/event? That seems to be the point and certainly is a good business model to consider.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#138 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,076 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Peace,
Tom

IMO, the network would be successful if it's 10-15 dollars a month because they plan to include all but 2 PPV events with the subscription. If they can get Monday Night Raw from the USA network, that'd really drive up demand because their ratings are often near or at #1 for cable stations that night.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#139 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,056 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Monday Night Raw is still the highest rated programs on cable on nights without MNF competition (or a week late season Jets game) and SmackDown is usually the highest rated show on Syfy.

But a full network is questionable. The real issue is will people come for their secondary shows since for the forseeable future their primary shows will remain on USA and Syfy. (Along with what will they air on the network while these shows are on) Along with the value for the channel alone compared to just paying for the PPVs you care about individually. Similar to Showtime where your subscription gets you their PPV Boxing and MMA events. Will the cable providers agree to something like $10 a month for all but 2 PPVs which are usually in the $40-$50 range since the providers usually get a 50% cut of the PPV buys from their subscribers.

When they moved back to USA in 2005, they couldn't even get their secondary shows like Heat (since replaced by Vintage Collection), Velocity (since replaced by ECW which was eventually replaced by NXT) and The WWE Experience picked up and their syndicated highlight shows like Afterburn and Bottom Line left syndication. (All of them are still produced internationally along with a few new shows like This Week in WWE) WGN America dumped the new version of Superstars after a year, and Syfy wouldn't pick up SmackDown, which lost its timeslot on The CW and later My Network TV (where many major affiliates pre-empted it on a regular basis for local sports), without dropping NXT. They put these shows on You Tube and WWE.com for a while, but they recently moved them all to Hulu Plus.

Internationally like on Sky Sports UK, on some days you can't go 2 hours without at least some WWE show airing on one of the 4 Sky Sports channels, and many PPVs also air on Sky Sports 1.

#140 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I say if its priced like hbo and them giving all but wrestlemaina free on there it would pay for its self if you only got the other big 3 and then one or two more ppv a year on average using today's pricing for wwe ppv
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...