Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report says DirecTV has "no interest" in WWE Network

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

- We noted earlier that DirecTV issued a survey over the weekend to gauge customer interest in the WWE Network. The price points they surveyed fans on were $12.99, $14.99, $16.99, $24.99 and $29.99.

IMHO anything above $16.99 is ridiculous!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

. Every channel costs us one way or another. Even channels that pay for their own carriage have a cost.

OH now you admit that. Figures!:rolleyes:

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#143 OFFLINE   earnhardtfan4life

earnhardtfan4life

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

My name is Mike and I'm new on the board. I was searching for some information today about the whole rampant DirectTV/WWE rumors going around and this board popped up. I thought I would join in on the conversation. They have been testing Youtube for quite sometime now and up to 1 million subscribers now. I imagine from what I have read they are making money off Youtube related programming already. Also recently Youtube issued out either a survey or a press release of some kind saying that they will be issuing paid subscriber based channels soon. So my guess is WWE has a few avenues to go with Youtube/DirectTV. It will be interesting if the channel ends up on both of them.

Something else to consider is I think the contract for Smackdown on SyFy is up pretty soon and I think Raw is too. I also hope this whole revolution with the WWE network changes the creative direction they are going in. This PG stuff needs to go. They can't show watered down Attitude era programming on the channel anyway. At least I hope they don't. It would be stupid if they did.

Mike

#144 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

My name is Mike and I'm new on the board. I was searching for some information today about the whole rampant DirectTV/WWE rumors going around and this board popped up. I thought I would join in on the conversation. They have been testing Youtube for quite sometime now and up to 1 million subscribers now. I imagine from what I have read they are making money off Youtube related programming already. Also recently Youtube issued out either a survey or a press release of some kind saying that they will be issuing paid subscriber based channels soon. So my guess is WWE has a few avenues to go with Youtube/DirectTV. It will be interesting if the channel ends up on both of them.

Something else to consider is I think the contract for Smackdown on SyFy is up pretty soon and I think Raw is too. I also hope this whole revolution with the WWE network changes the creative direction they are going in. This PG stuff needs to go. They can't show watered down Attitude era programming on the channel anyway. At least I hope they don't. It would be stupid if they did.

Mike

Get it off of Syfy and have stargate come back.
  • nola56 likes this
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#145 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Get it off of Syfy and have stargate come back.

Unfortunately Wrestling gets way more ratings than Stargate.

#146 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Mike

As a 42 year wrestling fan, I totally agree with your statement.Look at the quality programming MTV & VH1 show & tell me how that's any different.

#147 OFFLINE   Jeffro

Jeffro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I saw on the WWE website that there is going to be a special announcement this Monday at their website, facebook, and YouTube pages at 12 noon Eastern. Vince, Stephanie, Triple H, The Rock, and John Cena will be there. Could this be about the WWE Network?

#148 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

I saw on the WWE website that there is going to be a special announcement this Monday at their website, facebook, and YouTube pages at 12 noon Eastern. Vince, Stephanie, Triple H, The Rock, and John Cena will be there. Could this be about the WWE Network?

What will it be?

UPDATE: PWInsider reports that the announcement will be that of WrestleMania 30's location, which as previously reported will be the Superdome in New Orleans.

ORIGINAL: WWE has announced that a special announcement will be live-streamed on Monday at 12 AM eT. The teaser reads:

"Something big is coming to WWE.com. Log on this Monday at 12 p.m. ET for a special announcement, streamed live on WWE.com, YouTube.com/WWE and Facebook.com/WWE.

Tune in the day after WWE Elimination Chamber for a special address by WWE Chairman Mr. McMahon, WWE COO Triple H, WWE Executive Vice President Stephanie McMahon, WWE Champion The Rock and John Cena."

Credit: WWE.com
Read more at http://www.411mania....IdkZjs7Cz8Aw.99

#149 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

Oh how I would love the WWE Network to come to fruition. I liked the possibility of some of their show idea's. And it's not like they lack content. They own the entire WCW Library and ECW Library. I'm quite sure alot of the WCW footage comes from the NWA era too.
--
Just roll that out. Today's generation could get an idea of the past and history (and also see how much better crowds were on average, vs today). I also echo the PG sentiment. Bleah >.>

#150 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

Why I think this will be a successful venture: The WWE has sole dominance over just about every major pro wrestling video library there is. Really, the only ones it doesn't have the rights to are the current companies currently being run, such as Ring of Honor and TNA. They could probably run every bit of video they own for years without repeating anything.

They already have a ton of pre-produced content for previous video/DVD releases, and they can be aired blur-free after a settlement with the original WWF.

It has the most potential of any venture the WWE has ever come up with.

What it needs to succeed: It needs to offer the PPV events at a huge discount to drive subscriptions. If a $15 price point is what it ends up being, I would find it hard to turn down as a wrestling fan, even a casual one who may not buy every PPV. Even at the SD rate of $45, buying every PPV in a year would cost around $500, not counting Wrestlemania which is a much higher price. If you could get someone to commit to every premium show in a calendar year, with the added bonus of programming the rest of the way, that's $180 per sub, plus WM's cost, it seems like a must buy.

Also, there would have to be a digital mirrored version. WWE MUST offer this not only for your provider, but at a premium cost, you must be able to access the channel on the go, PPV events included.

Just a quick, half-asleep opinion.

#151 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Why I think this will be a successful venture: The WWE has sole dominance over just about every major pro wrestling video library there is. Really, the only ones it doesn't have the rights to are the current companies currently being run, such as Ring of Honor and TNA. They could probably run every bit of video they own for years without repeating anything.

They already have a ton of pre-produced content for previous video/DVD releases, and they can be aired blur-free after a settlement with the original WWF.

It has the most potential of any venture the WWE has ever come up with.

What it needs to succeed: It needs to offer the PPV events at a huge discount to drive subscriptions. If a $15 price point is what it ends up being, I would find it hard to turn down as a wrestling fan, even a casual one who may not buy every PPV. Even at the SD rate of $45, buying every PPV in a year would cost around $500, not counting Wrestlemania which is a much higher price. If you could get someone to commit to every premium show in a calendar year, with the added bonus of programming the rest of the way, that's $180 per sub, plus WM's cost, it seems like a must buy.

Also, there would have to be a digital mirrored version. WWE MUST offer this not only for your provider, but at a premium cost, you must be able to access the channel on the go, PPV events included.

Just a quick, half-asleep opinion.

Totally agree. Though, any streaming options should be done as with HBOGo, etc, (must be subscribe to the channel thru your provider) not something purchased seperately. Does WWE own all the libraries from World Class too? Hmm. I think i'll do some research.
--
I also like you mentioned the DVD's. They could do like a once a month special, where they air the documentary portions of one of their past DVD's (not showing any matches available). I think they could also do some great original programming. A PPV in Review show would be neat too, like re-airing previous PPV's from various things, and maybe have a color guy and analyst guy throwing in opinions, commentary and maybe a special guest that was part of that particular PPV. Something like that.

#152 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,285 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

I only think this channel should come to DIRECTV and frankly any other provider as a premium channel, where you have to subscribe to just that channel. I don't want to see it added to any current package, unless its replacing at least two other channels and there is a guarantee that the costs of the channel will not exceed the cost of the channel its replacing.

Its just getting to expensive, and anybody starting a new channel today should have to go in its own package, especially something that will be such a specific niche channel. And this is especially for channels like this where they are taking many things that are already on other stations and creating a new channel for those things and diluting new programing across more channels at a higher expense to us.

I have a feeling that's why this channel may not exsits yet anyway. I'm guessing they found getting distribution was harder than they thought.

#153 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Thank goodness!:D

Seriously though, I never thought they would have enough programming to warrant a full-time channel.

#154 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Seriously though, I never thought they would have enough programming to warrant a full-time channel.

lets see
2000+ episodes of raw
1000+ episodes of smackdown
all episodes of heat, velocity, ECW, nitro, thunder
past PPV
tough enough
wwe confidential
and they could always show the blu-rays and dvds they released
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#155 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

The WWE owns some absurd percentage of the entire US pro-wrestling industry's video library from at least the 60's and up. There is more than enough content for the channel. Not to mention they could license buy licenses for foreign wrestling promotions too say like from Japan.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#156 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

lets see
2000+ episodes of raw
1000+ episodes of smackdown
all episodes of heat, velocity, ECW, nitro, thunder
past PPV
tough enough
wwe confidential
and they could always show the blu-rays and dvds they released

To complete the list, the current shows that have no US Television outlet:
WWE Afterburn
WWE Bottom Line
This Week in WWE
The WWE Experience
WWE Vintage Collection
NXT
WWE Superstars

Other classic WWE programming:
Jakked/Metal
Shotgun Saturday Night
Saturday Night's Main Event
WWF Superstars
The back library of OVW and HWA when they were WWE Development territories

Other past promotions:
WCW
ECW
AWA
Smokey Mountain Wrestling
Jim Crockett Promotions
World Class Championship Wrestling
Stampede Wrestling
Championship Wrestling from Florida

WWE's own footage goes back to the 50s when they were a small DC based promotion, before they were called the World Wide Wrestling Federation. They likely also have the rights to film archives from MSG in the 30s.

Since it's been 10 years they can have WWF in the clear again, but they still go out of their way to remove any reference to he who shall not be named. Which cuts a nice chunk out of Nitro in the 90s, much of the summer of 2000 when he had a feud with The Rock, and the build up to and the ending of WrestleMania XX.

#157 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

I only think this channel should come to DIRECTV and frankly any other provider as a premium channel, where you have to subscribe to just that channel. I don't want to see it added to any current package, unless its replacing at least two other channels and there is a guarantee that the costs of the channel will not exceed the cost of the channel its replacing.

Its just getting to expensive, and anybody starting a new channel today should have to go in its own package, especially something that will be such a specific niche channel. And this is especially for channels like this where they are taking many things that are already on other stations and creating a new channel for those things and diluting new programing across more channels at a higher expense to us.

I have a feeling that's why this channel may not exsits yet anyway. I'm guessing they found getting distribution was harder than they thought.

I believe I actually read that what WWE would have charged for the channel would be very very little, actually. Less than 10 cents I think? Would be fine to have it as an a la carte channel though.

#158 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Since it's been 10 years they can have WWF in the clear again, but they still go out of their way to remove any reference to he who shall not be named. Which cuts a nice chunk out of Nitro in the 90s, much of the summer of 2000 when he had a feud with The Rock, and the build up to and the ending of WrestleMania XX.

in fact now they no longer blur it out when they show archived footage that has the scratch logo on it.
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#159 OFFLINE   hbkbiggestfan

hbkbiggestfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

in fact now they no longer blur it out when they show archived footage that has the scratch logo on it.

Yeah, that's what he was saying...
<Living Room HR34-700-Networked Wireless CCK*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Vizio E601i-a3 60" 1080p LED HDTV> <Master Bedroom HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL*HDMI-Olevia 37" LCD HDTV>
<Man Cave HR24-100-Networked COAX*-w/ LiL-HDMI-Samsung 46" LN46B530 1080p LCD HDTV> *Linksys Router <Backup Equipment HR22-100, H21-200, R15 and SD DIRECTiVo>
DIRECTV Since August 2002. Thanks for DLB & MRV DIRECTV!

NFL Sunday Ticket + Superfan since 2004 Go KC Chiefs!

#160 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,182 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, that's what he was saying...

Exactly, here's an example of what I was talking about. Last week WWE posted a Samoa Joe match from Jakked in 2001 to boast how they had him as a jobber before TNA even existed. Watch what happens to the commentary when Coach mentions the Radicalz at 1:25:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...