Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Report says DirecTV has "no interest" in WWE Network

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

The reason why DirecTV has "no interest" is not because the channel couldn't be profitable, but simply because DirecTV doesn't see any bread and butter in carrying the channel on their lineup. It's their own bottom line they are looking at, not the channel's bottom line.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#162 ONLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

The reason why DirecTV has "no interest" is not because the channel couldn't be profitable, but simply because DirecTV doesn't see any bread and butter in carrying the channel on their lineup. It's their own bottom line they are looking at, not the channel's bottom line.

Read the past few pages, things have changed since the first post was made back in June. Including WWE rethinking how they're distributing it (premium instead of a basic cable channel, potentially with PPV included similar to what Showtime does with their Boxing and MMA PPVs), along with the most recent development, a survey issued by DirecTV about the network.

#163 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Exactly, here's an example of what I was talking about. Last week WWE posted a Samoa Joe match from Jakked in 2001 to boast how they had him as a jobber before TNA even existed. Watch what happens to the commentary when Coach mentions the Radicalz at 1:25:

In reality though, they should leave Benoit's name in, and silence the XFL references :lol:

#164 OFFLINE   leprechaun106317

leprechaun106317

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

Been awhile since there have been any developments regarding the network, but here's some recent updates:

WWE announced they are finally ending their WWE Classics on Demand service as of January 31, 2014 presumably because of the launching of the Network soon after.

They have been making major hires for the Network as of late.

They recently sent out a fan survey asking how fans prefer to view SD footage on their HDTVs choosing between full screen "stretch" mode, or 4:3 with the black side bars or side bars with designs on them (the test footage in the survey used the WWE Network logo on bluish bars which is the one I picked)

They have publicly said they are hopeful to have the WWE Network launch in February 2014 and are considering airing Wrestlemania XXX on it to entice people to subscribe. They quoted the price at $9.99 a month and it would include all PPVs except WM (after this years)

So we'll see coming up if the launch finally happens and hopefully if it does DirecTV carries it because at 10 bucks a month including PPVs plus the entire backlog of wrestling from the last 30+ years that is a steal!

Edited by leprechaun106317, 03 December 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#165 OFFLINE   richard1428

richard1428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

I'd subscribe. I dont watch wwe anymore, and i dont expect the main events be any better than the weekly tv shows. But i used to enjoy watching monday night wars on wwe on demand when i had comcast. If they include attitude era stuff. I will subscribe.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#166 OFFLINE   leprechaun106317

leprechaun106317

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

Well news just broke that it will now more than likely not be an actual channel but more of a Netflix type service with a continuous live stream and pretty much every old WWE PPV and RAW & Smackdown on demand plus you'd get the new PPVs every month on it as well. So idk if this report is true but we will likely find out at the beginning of next month.

#167 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

So its going to be an online service and not on cable/satellite providers?  Have a link to the news?

#168 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

If it's $10 and on Roku, I'm definitely going for it.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#169 OFFLINE   slinger45

slinger45

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Well news just broke that it will now more than likely not be an actual channel but more of a Netflix type service with a continuous live stream and pretty much every old WWE PPV and RAW & Smackdown on demand plus you'd get the new PPVs every month on it as well. So idk if this report is true but we will likely find out at the beginning of next month.

I havent seen anything to this effect, just rumor and conjecture.

#170 OFFLINE   leprechaun106317

leprechaun106317

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

I havent seen anything to this effect, just rumor and conjecture.

Here's an article compiling sources including their own giving details. 

http://www.voicesofw...network-online/

#171 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

I bet DIRECTV would add it if it's a la cart offered.

#172 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

I guess we will need to wait and see.. 

#173 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

He's we will. I don't care, I'd never watch it, but I'd love for them to pick it up a la cart. I'd like them to pick up every channel that would be fine with that. No reason not to.

#174 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

I had subscribed to their online classics package for $4.99 a couple of years ago. It was fine and the video was pretty good. There was one problem, that hopefully they fixed. It was nearly impossible to contact customer support or to cancel the package. They billed me an extra month because they didn't respond to a cancel request I had placed. I basically had to spam them with requests to finally get someone to respond and get my sub cancelled.

#175 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:29 PM

I bet DIRECTV would add it if it's a la cart offered.

He's we will. I don't care, I'd never watch it, but I'd love for them to pick it up a la cart. I'd like them to pick up every channel that would be fine with that. No reason not to.

My guess is that DirecTV will not pick it up before D14 is live, if they carry it at all.  The one reason not to pick up every a la carte channel that is offered is space on the satellite.

#176 OFFLINE   slinger45

slinger45

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

I think it would work better if it was a standalone ala mlb.tv, then you wouldnt necessarily be chopping out the PPV buys totally if they werent available for considerably cheaper that convieniently.

#177 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

I think this is great news..... :rotfl:

#178 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

My guess is that DirecTV will not pick it up before D14 is live, if they carry it at all.  The one reason not to pick up every a la carte channel that is offered is space on the satellite.

So late Q3 maybe, or more likely Q4 on.

#179 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

It will be a xbox/roku type of channel, guarenteed.

#180 OFFLINE   leprechaun106317

leprechaun106317

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

Well it was officially announced tonight and was pretty much exactly what the rumors said. It will be a $10 a month streaming service available on pretty much all devices, will include all 12 PPVs live, a huge on demand library including every WWE, WCW, and ECW PPV ever at launch, original programming on a 24/7 live stream, and it launches on February 24th immediately after RAW with the first thing airing live being the first ever live RAW post show.

Honestly this makes a lot more sense than a TV channel and I can't wait! I guess this thread can be done now since it is offically not gonna have anything to do with DirecTV.

• sigma1914 likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...