Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Initial Nomad Connection Question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rakim

Rakim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

I just got a Nomad and I am trying to get it started but it won't connect to the Internet. I haven't seen it referenced anywhere, but I'm wondering if I need to connect it to my computer first so that I can enter my wireless password and allow it access to my network.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nike5580

nike5580

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, New Hampshire

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

What are you using to try to connect to your nomad? The PC software, ipod app? If it remember correctly, the only thing you should need to enter are you directv user name and password.

Edited by nike5580, 28 June 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Rakim

Rakim

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

I just plugged the Nomad into the router and the outlet. Trying to d/l the updated firmware. I can sign into the ipad app, but it doesn't see the nomad bcs it won't go online.

#4 OFFLINE   duck33

duck33

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

I have to ask.

Are your receiver(s) connected to the Internet? If not, your Nomad won't "see" any receivers.

I also forgot to mention, that the Nomad isn't wireless therefore, you won't need to enter a password to get on your network. It connects via Ethernet to your router.

Edited by duck33, 29 June 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   wildlandart

wildlandart

• Banned User
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

your nomad having a big problem

#6 OFFLINE   Rakim

Rakim

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

Yep, receivers are connected to the Internet.

Oh, that makes sense about it not being wireless and why that was never addressed in the instructions...but now I'm back to not knowing why it won't connect even when it is plugged into the router. It doesn't need to be in the same room as any receiver, does it?

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yep, receivers are connected to the Internet.

Oh, that makes sense about it not being wireless and why that was never addressed in the instructions...but now I'm back to not knowing why it won't connect even when it is plugged into the router. It doesn't need to be in the same room as any receiver, does it?

No it doesn't. It just needs to be on the same home network.

What are your lights showing on the Nomad device?

Also, make sure on your DIRECTV settings that the DVRs are set to "allow" communication with remote devices. I'm not in front of an HR now, but IIRC, it's under "Whole Home", "External Device" settings.
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

No it doesn't need to be in the same room as the receiver. My nomad goes through two different ethernet switches before it has acccess to all my HR DVR's. You can try holding in the red reset button for 2 minutes to see what happens. You can also look in your routers log after you do that and see if it's requesting a DHCP address.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

Also, don't have any nomad client running when it's booting up. nomad seems to hate that.

Setup

Ken

#10 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

No it doesn't. It just needs to be on the same home network.

What are your lights showing on the Nomad device?

Also, make sure on your DIRECTV settings that the DVRs are set to "allow" communication with remote devices. I'm not in front of an HR now, but IIRC, it's under "Whole Home", "External Device" settings.

That's the most important question above. Once plugged into your home router, after about 5 minutes you should have 3 blue lights. If not, report back what you do have.

#11 OFFLINE   luezana

luezana

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

I am having the same problem. I have an amber Status light and blue blinking Activity light but not Network light. The manual says that means no internet connection. I am using that wireless router right now as well as several other computers and the receiver. The router has a green LED at the Ethernet port and the nomad has one green and one amber. Any ideas?

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Quick step guide steps:
1 - Confirm your HD DVR is connected to the Internet
2 - Connect your nomad to your router (shows a picture of an Ethernet cable going from router to nomad).
3 - Power up your nomad
4 - Verify that all three lights are blue on the nomad.
5 - Download and install nomad application on your computer or mobile device.

#13 OFFLINE   luezana

luezana

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

My nomad does not have 3 blue LED's. Only an Solid Amber Status and blinking blue activity. No network light at all

#14 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

My nomad does not have 3 blue LED's. Only an Solid Amber Status and blinking blue activity. No network light at all

Your nomad is not connecting to the internet. Is it connected directly to a router? Is the router wired to the modem?

#15 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Is the router set up to give IP addresses via DHCP?

#16 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

try unplugging the power, then plugging in. Wait a couple of minutes everyntime you power cycle. It seems like I have to recycle several,times before the nomad will connect any time it looses connectivity.

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Your nomad is not connecting to the internet. Is it connected directly to a router? Is the router wired to the modem?

It's also important that the reported nomad is set up in the router so that it is allowed permissions past any local network firewall.

As NR4P indicated, the nomad there is not "communicating" with the DirecTV servers for authentication.

Typically, this is in the router network setup to include the MAC address. Every router is a bit different, but in my case, in the advanced/network setup settings.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall