Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV in contract dispute with Northwest Broadcasting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Of course, I found this when I was checking on the dispute with Diversified Communications. <sigh> :nono2:

http://directvpromis...t-broadcasting/

El Segundo, Calif., June 27, 2012 – Completely out of the blue, Northwest Broadcasting began alerting our customers today that they could potentially lose access to their local Northwest station. This is despite what we considered Northwest’s good faith proposal to continue to extend our agreement these past several months until officially notifying us otherwise. The fact remains that Northwest wants DIRECTV customers to pay more than double for the same channels they already receive. We are willing to compensate Northwest fairly, but we will not allow them (or any other station operator) to try to extract unreasonable increases at our customers’ expense.

Northwest Broadcasting includes:
WICZ (FOX) Binghamton, NY Ch. 40
WBPN (MNT) Binghamton, NY Ch. 10
KMVU (FOX) Medford-Klamath Falls Ch. 26
KAYU (FOX) Spokane Ch. 28
KFFX (FOX) Yakima-Pasco-Richland-Kennewick Ch. 11
KVTV (CBS) Laredo, TX Ch. 13

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Drop in the bucket..this year anyway
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Of course, I found this when I was checking on the dispute with Diversified Communications. <sigh> :nono2:

http://directvpromis...t-broadcasting/

This has been an ongoing two-step between these parties since at least the end of 2010.
Without a signed contract at the beginning of 2011, NW threatened to shut-off their FOX affiliates to DirecTV during the 02/2011 SuperBowl to leverage their bargaining position (all the Yakima/Tri-Cities WA DirecTV LIL was SD back then, so most DirecTV subs were picking up HD via OTA).
NW also wanted provisions in the new contract that if they shut-off in the future, that DirecTV would waive early cancellation charges for subs who wanted to switch carriers as a result of losing FOX.
Not surprisingly DirecTV told NW to pound Puget Sound sand.
NW backed off from non-broadcasting the SuperBowl while negotiating an extension (think the third parties chimed in on this?), and the deal eventually got done.
This latest "we want double the previous fees" is NW acting out because they feel they got their rears wiped the last time, have been undercompensated, and want to make up for it.
I predict this go-around will end up the same way.

OTA works fine... at least for the primary feed which is broadcast on DirecTV LIL, the subchannel which is on the DirecTV AM21 OTA scheduler but not LIL, is flaky.

KFFX 11-2 "This TV" OTA Pendleton OR Reception Issues On HR20 & HR21/AM21

Edited by Michael Hilley, 29 June 2012 - 10:11 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...