Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

I'm pretty sure Swan Boy is a member that posts on here in disguise. If only to figure out who...

Wouldn't that be awesome if he was ever outed?? HAH!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

I guess we can expect rants from you in the future.

I have seen a lot of SD upscaled to HD and it is a lot better. Especially with DirecTV SD.

Rant all you want. I am very happy this is coming.

Amen. :up:

#183 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Yeah that'd be hilarious. Strange, Santi rhymes with Swanni. I'm just sayin'.

Santi is short for SANTIAGO...my last name..
I'll gladly prove to anyone that I aint Phillp Swann, at request!!

I am better than that copy & paster of news media..I innovate not replicate..

#184 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

I know, I was just messing with you. :P I don't think he's dumb enough to use a screen name that close to his real name.

notice the level of nothingness he is...you hear stories on celebrities and their fake look a-likes or fake identity schemes from schemers. Why is it he has no-one wanting to be him or be like him? says alot!!..

heh heh

back to topic
HOORAY for TCM-HD ....upscaled is better than SD..ANYDAY!

#185 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

TCM HD, in the U.S. at least, is probably the most useless "HD" channel out there…

More useless than Shorts HD?

#186 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Generally, an up-convert of SD to an HD channel will look MUCH better on DirecTV then a regular DirecTV SD channel.

Certainly needs to be considered.

101 is very tight, the HD sats are managed for better PQ.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#187 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

101 is very tight, the HD sats are managed for better PQ.

Do you know how many more channels can get added, in high definition, prior to the successful 2014 launch of D14? (This is assuming no removals of current cable programmers' HD and/or SD.)

#188 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Do you know how many more channels can get added, in high definition, prior to the successful 2014 launch of D14? (This is assuming no removals of current cable programmers' HD and/or SD.)

No. It's educated guesswork by everyone but those who work for DirecTV.

#189 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Dozens, but there are many variables.

Do they intend to upgrade to new encoder technology on every D10/D11/D12 transponder ($).

Does the content allow for 6 per transponder in every case (PQ).

Is there a need to hold back because of the D10 propulsion issues (Risk).

Are then any other needs that we're not aware of (PPV, Push, Other).

I'd guess 20-30 but it all depends on the questions above, which is not an all inclusive list.

I'd also guess that "contracts" is a major part of the equation, as always.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#190 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

The biggest problem with this is that it sets a bad precedent. Providers should be boycotting this channel until they start actually airing content in high definition. Right now it's false advertising to call the channel TCM HD.

If everyone pulled this **** at the start of the HD era nothing would be in native HD today. We'd all be dealing with 16:9 SD garbage like the Australians.

Actually, many HD channels started out showing either zero HD programming, or maybe 30 minutes to an hour a week.

Just sayin'....

~Alan

#191 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Alan, I don't believe CSN Huston is on the air yet, as everything I have read says it's slated to begin broadcasting this fall when the rockets season starts, just as the new Lakers tw RSNs launch as well.

Alright...

I moved CSN Houston to the RSNs coming soon list.

~Alan

#192 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

I accept your concession that I am 100% correct and that as such there is nothing more to argue about.

It's been fun. :)

I would somewhat disagree with your statements. Yes, there are some industry standards set for HD, generally accepted to be 720i/p and 1080i/p, but for something to be "high definition", it doesn't need to be sourced from a modern digital video camera.

An example: Star Trek:The Next Generation was shot using 35mm film, and from this film broadcast tapes were created with a 4:3 version of the show. These tapes are significantly better in quality than NTSC or PAL standards, and if you see the show on a current HD station, and you compare it to a SD station, the quality is a lot better, even though it comes from the exact same broadcast tapes.

Of course, at this moment they are re-digitizing the original 35mm to BluRay 1080p format, and the first season is to be released some time later this month I believe.... so by next year we will probably have all 7 seasons in BluRay format, and perhaps someone that wants to pick it up for syndication can no use the HD versions.

Similar things have been done with e.g. Seinfeld and Friends, which air in HD on several stations (TBS being one).

Maybe, in your view, the station of TCM doesn't have the RIGHT to carry the "HD" in the name, but the quality that is shown on screen is a lot better than what is shown on the SD version of the same station, so I would want to call it "high definition" for that reason alone. It may all be upconverted to 1080i, but it looks pretty darn good.

BTW: Your comment above might be viewed as smug and arrogant. Not really nice for a first time poster, people will usually remember the attitude you came in the room with. Just be friendly, it works a lot better.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#193 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

I'm pretty sure Swan Boy is a member that posts on here in disguise. If only to figure out who...

Well, since Swanni lacks balls, I highly doubt you ever will. He may not even post here, you don't have to have an account at all to see the posts.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#194 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

BTW: Your comment above might be viewed as smug and arrogant. Not really nice for a first time poster, people will usually remember the attitude you came in the room with. Just be friendly, it works a lot better.

Uh, from what I have seen of this poster from another site, that was being friendly. :lol:
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#195 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

I can't seem to find your list, but same thing for Fox Sports New Orleans and Pac-12 Network, no carriage agreements announced reported, rumored, etc.

I already have the Pac-12 stuff in its rightful place, but I moved New Orleans.

My list is on the first page.

~Alan

#196 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, since Swanni lacks balls, I highly doubt you ever will. He may not even post here, you don't have to have an account at all to see the posts.

Swanni used to post as himself back in the day on various forums. I am thinking tivocommunity. Did he ever post here?

I love his latest blog. Basically, he should just put a link to this thread and say he is summarizing what we have discussed.

The trick of making SatRacer sound like several people is my favorite type of generic reporting. Rather than saying there is someone who often posts information that works from DirecTV, he makes it general using the plural form to make it vague.

Also, if he actually reads here, it is not only Sixto who *can* monitor this stuff, it is just that Sixto *likes* to monitor it and does great work for us here. Swanni makes it out to be something magical (then again, he is often like the natives who first encounter an airplane) or that Sixto has inside information on what he does, which is not secret nor advantaged. It is just that he knows what he is doing and enjoys it. (Thanks again, Sixto!)

Just all around bad, misinformed and deliberately vague reporting on Swanni's part. In other words, nothing new.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#197 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

I've seen forums where you do though, maybe they should change the rules here so he can quit posting rumors and unconfirmed reports as news articles and calling us "DirecTV sympathizers".

If we really cared and wanted him to stop reporting this forum as news for his personal gain, DBSTalk could probably tell him to stop and if he didn't we could all invade his comment section.

but it really is more comical than anything else.

#198 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Maybe, in your view, the station of TCM doesn't have the RIGHT to carry the "HD" in the name, but the quality that is shown on screen is a lot better than what is shown on the SD version of the same station, so I would want to call it "high definition" for that reason alone. It may all be upconverted to 1080i, but it looks pretty darn good.

I'm on the side of it being some of a misnomer myself, but I'm just glad we'll have it for when they DO offer true HD on it.

Come on CW HD-DNS, BBCA, and TV Land HD!!! :D

~Alan

#199 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I'm on the side of it being some of a misnomer myself, but I'm just glad we'll have it for when they DO offer true HD on it.

Come on CW HD-DNS, BBCA, and TV Land HD!!! :D

~Alan

I'm happy to have it (when we do) because we will have decent PQ at full screen. The only thing worse than letterboxed SD on DirecTV is zooming letterboxed SD on DirecTV to fill the screen.

#200 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,742 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm happy to have it (when we do) because we will have decent PQ at full screen. The only thing worse than letterboxed SD on DirecTV is zooming letterboxed SD on DirecTV to fill the screen.

VERY TRUE!!! :lol:

~Alan

spam firewall