Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#1981 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yep... even the older episodes that were not filmed in HD.

That being said, they look better than some of the HD programs I've seen, so I doubt many will be able to notice the difference.

~Alan

Except Hoosier. :)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1982 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Except Hoosier. :)

I notice the difference as well. I'm just saying that MANY people probably won't...

Considering that you thought "I Love Lucy" on Hallmark Channel was in HD, I think you'll be happy with the upconverted Who episodes.

BTW, for anybody attempting to watch "Star Trek: The Next Generation", it is stretched. It and BBC World News are the only stretched content that I know of...

~Alan

#1983 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

I notice the difference as well. I'm just saying that MANY people probably won't...

Considering that you thought "I Love Lucy" on Hallmark Channel was in HD, I think you'll be happy with the upconverted Who episodes.

BTW, for anybody attempting to watch "Star Trek: The Next Generation", it is stretched. It and BBC World News are the only stretched content that I know of...

~Alan

I turned on ST the other day and it wasn't stretched - it was that zoom/fill but not all the way fill like TLC & Discovery would do.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1984 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have seen a great many of very terrific looking I Love Lucy episodes on there and a lot of not so good ones. I would bet that the source material varies.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1985 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Can't hardly wait! Too bad they don't turn them on at midnight!

Last time I had this much anticipation was a few years ago when Comcast added like 12 HD channels all at midnight. They were on the system for a good week or two prior just not mapped. I've got that similar feeling with this one.

Knowing new HD is coming is great. This keeps things exciting!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1986 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,924 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

I have seen a great many of very terrific looking I Love Lucy episodes on there and a lot of not so good ones. I would bet that the source material varies.

I've noticed that too. The I Love Lucy shows, for the most part, look very sharp on the Hallmark Channel HD.

However, and please no 720p vs. 1080i arguments here :sure:, my local KCOP-DT 13 (MNT) is in 720p as its owned by KTTV-DT 11 (FOX O&O), airs episodes of ILL, and it looks comparatively poor there.

Quite blurry.

#1987 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

I turned on ST the other day and it wasn't stretched - it was that zoom/fill but not all the way fill like TLC & Discovery would do.

Good point.

I wasn't playing super close attention, but yeah, it was weird. It didn't fill up the 16:9 screen... it just sort of filled it up more.

Since they're not HD, they don't compare to actual HD transfers though.

The ILL episode in HD I downloaded on iTunes and viewed on my AppleTV makes the Hallmark episodes look like total crap.

The older SD DW episodes look closer to HD than the Hallmark ILL episodes, but the newer HD DW episodes look AMAZING in HD. I can't wait for season six episodes to start airing so I can catch up prior to season seven.

~Alan

#1988 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

OH wow .... :rolleyes:

Hadn't checked the test feed on BBCAHD for that show, but they're doing that to the image Star Trek TNG?

Was going to reset my SL for TNG to BBCAHD when it went live as I was impressed with BBCAHD PQ after viewing the test feed instead of my local KDOC-DT 56 (Ind.) HD airing of the series in their bit starved 720p as it now shares space with four secondary SD sub-channels.

But guess I'll pass if that's what they're doing, since I'm a strong advocate for OAR in TV programming. :)

Edited by HoTat2, 14 August 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#1989 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Good point.

I wasn't playing super close attention, but yeah, it was weird. It didn't fill up the 16:9 screen... it just sort of filled it up more.

Since they're not HD, they don't compare to actual HD transfers though.

The ILL episode in HD I downloaded on iTunes and viewed on my AppleTV makes the Hallmark episodes look like total crap.

The older SD DW episodes look closer to HD than the Hallmark ILL episodes, but the newer HD DW episodes look AMAZING in HD. I can't wait for season six episodes to start airing so I can catch up prior to season seven.

~Alan

Don't start that again.

#1990 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hadn't checked the test feed on BBCAHD for that show, but they're doing that to the image Star Trek TNG?

Was going to reset my SL for TNG to BBCAHD when it went live instead of my local KDOC-DT 56 (Ind.) HD airing of the series as I was impressed with BBCAHD PQ after viewing the test feed.

But guess I'll pass if that's what they're doing, since I'm a strong advocate for OAR in TV programming. :)

Yeah... you're not going to want to see TNG on BBCAHD...

Uh... I don't think ANYBODY (other than the S1 and sampler Blu-ray) has TNG in HD. I'm assuming you're just referring to the local upconverted feed?!

Don't start that again.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. :confused: I think you may be confusing me with someone else recently mentioned... ;)

All I'm saying is that while it's obvious to the discerning eye, most DirecTV HD subscribers may not realize that the older DW (seasons 1-4) episodes are upconverted. It's VERY well done... some of the best upconverted material I've ever seen, and is a huge compliment to BBCA.

~Alan

#1991 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Was going to reset my SL for TNG to BBCAHD when it went live as I was impressed with BBCAHD PQ after viewing the test feed instead of my local KDOC-DT 56 (Ind.) HD airing of the series in their bit starved 720p as it now shares space with four secondary SD sub-channels.

As for OAR, I mentioned that the other day Gangs Of New York was actually OAR. I was shocked.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1992 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

4 of the 5 HD additions are listed in the Android app with programming starting 6:00 a.m. eastern time on the 15th. The exception being Ion.

Confirmed the exact same for iPhone app.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1993 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Do we have anything definite about tomorrow [Wednesday, Aug. 15]?

No. But it is anticipated. :)

I am anticipating a contract agreement allowing DirecTV to carry the brand-new Pac-12 Network.

I think this will be next, after these 5 have launched. Current rumor is that they are very close to a deal with at least 1 of the satellite providers, and I am willing to bet that is NOT Dish. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1994 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

No. But it is anticipated. :)

When it shows up in the mobile guides, seems more than anticipated.

#1995 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Uh... I don't think ANYBODY (other than the S1 and sampler Blu-ray) has TNG in HD. I'm assuming you're just referring to the local upconverted feed?!

It will probably be 4:3 letterboxed. I think TBS did it that way for a while. And they do actually look a whole lot better than the SD channel version of TNG, it may be 4:3 but since TNG was actually filmed on 35mm, even the 3:4 source tape is of better quality than what a SD station can display on NTSC, so even though the current TNG that is syndicated several stations is an older, 4:3 type source.... I would say it is actually slightly better of quality than SD.

Of course the remastering to BluRay has not yet been completed, so I expect that we won't see syndicated TV broadcasts of the HD version till well after season 5 or so, when they have more of an idea of whether they can show all seasons in HD.

HD of older shows is cool though. Every time I see Seinfeld and Friends in HD on TBS I am pleasantly surprised.

I am the Stig.

#1996 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

When it shows up in the mobile guides, seems more than anticipated.

True. But I also anticipate that either Obama or Romney will be this nation next President. That is of course also 99.9% sure, but not 100% guaranteed.

Something.... (whatever it may be) could happen, whether it is technical related, resource management related, or otherwise.... that would make them postpone the launch.

So I'll keep it to anticipated. But 99.9% surely anticipated. :D

I am the Stig.

#1997 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

anyone curious why ION isn't showing up in the mobile app guides?

#1998 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

anyone curious why ION isn't showing up in the mobile app guides?

Perhaps it's delayed, or not intended to launch yet?! :confused:

Unlike the other channels (aside from possibly beIN Sports?!?!), Ion will most likely be remapped to different channels in multiple markets.

~Alan

#1999 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Uh... I don't think ANYBODY (other than the S1 and sampler Blu-ray) has TNG in HD. I'm assuming you're just referring to the local upconverted feed

No I realize TNG is up-converted HD on both stations, however noted in my edited original post it was actually because local KDOC was formally in 1080i with two secondary SD sub-channels, but recently wanted to create space to add two more additional SD sub-channels by switching to the 720p format and increasing the compression on the main.

So I was waiting to try BBCAHD 1080i feed instead of KDOC's now bit-starved 720p version for recording TNG, but this revelation about BBCAHD zooming in the image to "almost fill the screen" to what I assume resembles the Anglo-European 1.5:1 film AR is a no go for me as I always prefer OAR.

#2000 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

No I realize TNG is up-converted HD on both stations, however noted in my edited original post it was actually because local KDOC was formally in 1080i with two secondary SD sub-channels, but recently wanted to create space to add two more additional SD sub-channels by switching to the 720p format and increasing the compression on the main.

So I was waiting to try BBCAHD 1080i feed instead of KDOC's now bit-starved 720p version for recording TNG, but this revelation about BBCAHD zooming in the image to "almost fill the screen" to what I assume resembles the Anglo-European 1.5:1 film AR is a no go for me as I always prefer OAR.

Gotcha...

ST:TNG is the worst looking thing on BBCA I've seen. BBC World News is done the same way, but it's not quite as jarring to me.

Uh... Graham Norton isn't that great looking. It beats SD, but the PQ sucks compared to the American talk shows PQ.

"Top Gear" ranges from OK to great depending upon the location of the scene.

"Doctor Who" upconverts are impressive for what they are. The HD episodes look FANTASTIC!!

Commercials for "Copper" look like AMAZING PQ will be seen for it.

The PQ for "Slumdog Millionaire" was AMAZING. The PQ for "Gangs Of New York" looked like it came from the same master as the original Blu-ray release which had horrible instances of edge enhancement and multiple other problems.

~Alan

spam firewall