Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2021 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

I'll give you 2 words: TOP GEAR! Tomorrow night at 800pm. And I don't care it is not a new episode, it still is Top Gear in HD! And the 330am(ET) Bolivia Top Gear episode is pretty cool. Heck, I can watch the same Top Gear episode in HD countless times!

Yep, I am going to rewatch a lot of Top Gear.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2022 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

My Doctor can beat up your Doctor.

Mike Holmes could squeeze the fish fingers and custard out of all 11 Doctors at once.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2023 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

I simply want more.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#2024 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

FMC rants. The Plex channels they have rights to.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2025 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

My Doctor can go back in time and prevent your Doctor from being born.

Plus, I have The Stig. Game Over. :)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2026 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

How many people are going to turn on the tv at 5:45 AM tomorrow and watch the new channels switch on at 6:00 AM? Is there any chance it will be earlier than that?

#2027 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

How many people are going to turn on the tv at 5:45 AM tomorrow and watch the new channels switch on at 6:00 AM? Is there any chance it will be earlier than that?

Hell no. You know how early that is? I will sleep in till my REGULAR scheduled time of getting up, which is 06:15, and see then. If I don't forget, I often don't turn on the TV.

Also, it will be 03:00 PDT actually, and I certainly WON'T be getting up then. :D

I am the Stig.

#2028 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

You'd be surprised. At that hour I've already performed the three S's and am raring to go.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#2029 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

My Doctor can out think your doctor. ;)

My Doctor can go back and time, make your Doctor fall in love with a good person, and no longer feel the need to beat up my Doctor. :P

Mike Holmes could squeeze the fish fingers and custard out of all 11 Doctors at once.

Mike Holmes would be too busy trying to make sense of the Tardis.

I couldn't be mean to Mike Holmes... you've gotta respect the man.

Now we can move on to the "I want HLN HD" rants, and of course the "I want DIY HD rants". :D

In 2010, the main channels from the Top 20 missing today are:

• IFC (#10)
  • Fox Movie Channel (#11)
  • Encore HD Premiums (#13)
  • G4 (#16)
  • H2 (#17)
  • DIY (#20)

In 2011, the main channels from the Top 20 missing today are:

• H2 (#3)
  • DIY (#4)
  • IFC (#5)
  • Cooking Channel (#9)
  • HLN (#10)
  • Epix (#11)
  • NASA (#12)
  • Sundance Channel (#13)
  • LMN (#14)
  • Investigation Discovery (#15)
  • The Hub (#17)
  • FEARnet (#19)
  • Outdoor Channel (#20)

Previous high ranking channels FMC and G4 were not eligible in 2011 due to the changes in the poll that year.

~Alan

#2030 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

I may still be up by then, so yeah, I may go ahead and set up some Series Links on BBCA.

Hell no. You know how early that is? I will sleep in till my REGULAR scheduled time of getting up, which is 06:15, and see then. If I don't forget, I often don't turn on the TV.

Also, it will be 03:00 PDT actually, and I certainly WON'T be getting up then. :D

I may not even be home by 6:00 A.M... 3:00 A.M. is nothing. Don't children go to bed then! ;) :P

~Alan

#2031 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Mike Holmes would be too busy trying to make sense of the Tardis.

He'd find something wrong with the wiring --you know he would. The pool would impress him, however.

In 2010, the main channels from the Top 20 missing today are:

• IFC (#10)
  • Fox Movie Channel (#11)
  • Encore HD Premiums (#13)
  • G4 (#16)
  • H2 (#17)
  • DIY (#20)

In 2011, the main channels from the Top 20 missing today are:

• H2 (#3)
  • DIY (#4)
  • IFC (#5)
  • Cooking Channel (#9)
  • HLN (#10)
  • Epix (#11)
  • NASA (#12)
  • Sundance Channel (#13)
  • LMN (#14)
  • Investigation Discovery (#15)
  • The Hub (#17)
  • FEARnet (#19)
  • Outdoor Channel (#20)

Previous high ranking channels FMC and G4 were not eligible in 2011 due to the changes in the poll that year.

~Alan

Oh, tracker of all things HD. . .how many new launches of HD channels since the Feb 2011 poll here (that therefore weren't considered by that poll)?
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2032 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

He'd find something wrong with the wiring --you know he would. The pool would impress him, however.

True... very true!

Oh, tracker of all things HD. . .how many new launches of HD channels since the Feb 2011 poll here (that therefore weren't considered by that poll)?

• ENCORE Action
  • ENCORE Drama
  • HUSTLER
  • MTV2
  • OWN
  • PLAYBOY
  • REELZ
  • SPROUT
  • TV GUIDE
  • TV LAND

Some assorted channels that DirecTV doesn't carry in SD, some RSNs, possibly some Spanish language channels, etc.

Personally, I think only TV Land and the Encore channels stood a chance of making the Top 10.

~Alan

#2033 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

I wonder if this quarterly tradition thread can even survive with the DIY'ers and H2'ers having to carry the daily/weekly whining ball.

It would, but not in as many pages.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#2034 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Why is everyone so excited for Top Gear? Isn't it just a show about cars? Doctor Who will be cool to check out in HD finally, and maybe some other BBC comedies, but that's about it for BBCA.

#2035 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,613 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

Why is everyone so excited for Top Gear? Isn't it just a show about cars? Doctor Who will be cool to check out in HD finally, and maybe some other BBC comedies, but that's about it for BBCA.

They also broadcast BBC World News, Planet Earth, and Star Trek TNG.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#2036 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Why is everyone so excited for Top Gear? Isn't it just a show about cars?

"Doctor Who" is just a show about the last Time Lord...

Doctor Who will be cool to check out in HD finally, and maybe some other BBC comedies, but that's about it for BBCA.

"Copper" will be premiering Sunday.

Some of us like other BBCA programming as well. DW and TG are just two shows that have a passionate following.

~Alan

#2037 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

I don't watch Top Gear often but it is terribly British.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2038 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

It is basically about cars yes. But I'm not a car guy and find it hilarious, especially some of the challenges they do. Though I have no illusions that some of their situations are totally staged.

#2039 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Why is everyone so excited for Top Gear? Isn't it just a show about cars?

Yes. And no. Yes is is a show about cars, but they completely re-invented the car show genre. So much so that quite a few different countries (including the United States on History Channel) adopted the formula.

Top Gear as a program started somewhere way back in the 80ies as a consumer advisory type program. They took 3 sedans, and explained what was different about them, that kind of stuff. The original show was cancelled in 2000 or so.... and then re-launched with 3 new presenters in 2002, with a completely new concept: humor. They kind of figured that since everyone had access to the internet, they could pretty much find out all they wanted about new cars and didn't need a show to tell them, so they completely changed the format to a car-centered entertainment shows. They introduced the Stig, celebrities that would race a rather normal looking car for a best times list, and they come up with a lot of different challenges, where each presenter needs to buy a car for a certain budget, and subsequently they are presented with a route and tests. Often, they try to sabotage each other, especially if one is winning more challenges than the others. They have been on all continents except Antarctica, however, they did once drive a CAR to the North Pole.

One of the presenters (Jeremy) thinks Americans cannot built decent cars, where Richard Hammond thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. If you are really sensitive about someone from outside the U.S. saying something bad about the U.S. every once in a while, don't watch. That said, they have been to the U.S. at least twice if I remembered correctly, and both times I was very much amused. :) The episode where they drive through the American south was hilarious.

If you love international cars, British humor, and the general concept of this show.... you will love it.

http://en.wikipedia....2002_TV_series)

I am the Stig.

#2040 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

I'm ready
Waiting for
BBCA HD

spam firewall