Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2551 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

I know we all want (including me) our "precious basic HD", but fact is that basic HD is really cool and nice.... but not something that would cause customers to leave.

You are making the assumption that we are aware of all announcements and channels for the next two years and the possible contracts that may come up to make it a must have or an advantage to include more HD in new deals. beIN was not on the radar two years ago. You have to leave options open to for new possibilities. Hell, it is only 13 months since the PAC 12 announced it was going to launch its own network. Not sure when they decided it would be seven channels. If you sell off all your bandwidth, you are stuck when something like this happens and happen it will if the PAC 12 is successful. What happens when the Big Ten decides it wants to start regional channels in the Fall of 2013?

What if Comcast relents and allows them to add Philly and the northwest?

What happens if the highest rated and acclaimed show winds up on H2? We saw the pressure for AMC.

I think it is painfully obvious that DirecTV only added the bunch of channels this year because they found some breathing room with the new encoding. I seriously doubt we would have seen the likes of TCM, BBCA, Disney Jr, NGW, etc., if they did not come up with new technology to support them.

Be cavalier with DirecTV's assets all you want. They are not. Nothing is fixed in this business. To assume they can squander all their reserve bandwidth for a two year commitment in one fell swoop is interesting.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2552 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

OK - so it looks like we are stuck with 7 CONUS slots for the PAC 12, 2 for TWC LA, 1 for CS Houston, and 1 for Universal Sports. That is half of the available slots until D14.

It still seems odd that the PAC 12 needs six regional channels for only 12 schools. I guess they are planning for the future when they might have 16 schools. With only 12 schools there can only be 6 conference games on any given day, and they are usually not simultaneous - especially since the PAC 12 covers two time zones. Even if they expand to 16 schools, there could only be 8 conference games. Four channels with two games each should be sufficient. Any non-conference game against a major opponent is likely to be picked up by ESPN or CBS, anyway.

A couple of notes:

PAC12 has announced it will be broadcasting a LOT more sports. Granted, for the majority of us it is about Football and Basketball, and any other sports really don't exist. :D - But PAC12 will be broadcasting Soccer (M/W) Baseball/Softball (M/W), Field Hockey, Volleyball, Track and Field, Swimming meets, even things like Rowing, Wrestling. - 850 live sporting events this year, with the rights and plans to broadcast another 1440 on top of that in coming years.

That said, there is going to be plenty of programming for 2 schools per network. It is a VERY bold plan indeed, but they seem to have more content per school than e.g. Longhorn Network who fills up 1 network with a lot less content.

I would like to suggest however, that we continue PAC12 discussions here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205113

That topic has been running for a while now and deals with PAC12 exclusively, except a few off-topic strays. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2553 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

A correction. LHN does NOT fill up the channel with content. That is why they dont have much carriage.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2554 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

You are making the assumption that we are aware of all announcements and channels for the next two years and the possible contracts that may come up to make it a must have or an advantage to include more HD in new deals. beIN was not on the radar two years ago. You have to leave options open to for new possibilities. Hell, it is only 13 months since the PAC 12 announced it was going to launch its own network. Not sure when they decided it would be seven channels. If you sell off all your bandwidth, you are stuck when something like this happens and happen it will if the PAC 12 is successful. What happens when the Big Ten decides it wants to start regional channels in the Fall of 2013?

What if Comcast relents and allows them to add Philly and the northwest?

What happens if the highest rated and acclaimed show winds up on H2? We saw the pressure for AMC.

I think it is painfully obvious that DirecTV only added the bunch of channels this year because they found some breathing room with the new encoding. I seriously doubt we would have seen the likes of TCM, BBCA, Disney Jr, NGW, etc., if they did not come up with new technology to support them.

Be cavalier with DirecTV's assets all you want. They are not. Nothing is fixed in this business. To assume they can squander all their reserve bandwidth for a two year commitment in one fell swoop is interesting.

Oh I completely understand they need to plan out their resources carefully. What I am saying is however, that given the resources available and which channels are currently NOT carried AT ALL, I think those channels are probably going to be higher on the priority list than channels that ARE already carried, just not yet in high definition.

Knowing that, I think it is easier to "bump" channels to a "future planned date" if they already exist in SD, as opposed to channels that might contain content that would cause a loss of subscribers.

The reality is, that PAC12 would lose customers, while not having Comcast Philly for the next 2 years won't lose any customers. (They just won't gain much in the Philly market). Universal Sports not in HD won't lose customers, and I think basic HD will not lose customers. Comcast Sportsnet Houston probably will lose customers, so that is an important one.

This said, if they have new technology that would allow the addition of the current 4-soon-to-be-5-maybe channels, there might be a lot more that we don't know about technology wise.

Personally, I think they added the channels most in demand over the last year or so in HD (BBCA and NGW), they added Disney Jr in HD as part of the ViaCom fight, (I think they launched SD quickly with intention to launch HD), and a sports channel with soccer rights. If ION goes live, it will be a well-rounded festivus with something for everyone.

And with those basic HD channels added, yes, I do believe they need to manage resources carefully, and I believe that the sports additions currently up in limbo are a lot more important to add than channels that already exist in SD.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2555 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Oh I completely understand they need to plan out their resources carefully. What I am saying is however, that given the resources available and which channels are currently NOT carried AT ALL, I think those channels are probably going to be higher on the priority list than channels that ARE already carried, just not yet in high definition.

Knowing that, I think it is easier to "bump" channels to a "future planned date" if they already exist in SD, as opposed to channels that might contain content that would cause a loss of subscribers.

The reality is, that PAC12 would lose customers, while not having Comcast Philly for the next 2 years won't lose any customers. (They just won't gain much in the Philly market). Universal Sports not in HD won't lose customers, and I think basic HD will not lose customers. Comcast Sportsnet Houston probably will lose customers, so that is an important one.

This said, if they have new technology that would allow the addition of the current 4-soon-to-be-5-maybe channels, there might be a lot more that we don't know about technology wise.

Personally, I think they added the channels most in demand over the last year or so in HD (BBCA and NGW), they added Disney Jr in HD as part of the ViaCom fight, (I think they launched SD quickly with intention to launch HD), and a sports channel with soccer rights. If ION goes live, it will be a well-rounded festivus with something for everyone.

And with those basic HD channels added, yes, I do believe they need to manage resources carefully, and I believe that the sports additions currently up in limbo are a lot more important to add than channels that already exist in SD.

I chimed in on your twitter post !! if that was you semi bashing swanni !!:lol:

#2556 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

Well, I don't think we'd want to assume some engineer at D* was flipping thru an industry magazine this past March, saw an ad for new encoders, and suddenly yelled out to the room "Hey! Look at this!".

I've got one presentation from a likely D* encoder vendor talking about this stuff in October of 2010. There's no reason to think that was the beginning of its visibility to D* either.

Said another way, it's just as credible this "encoder driven functional bandwidth bump" was planned as a midway juice between D12 and D14 since even before D12 launched. Or, if you think that's too early, their willingness to use 20 HD channels worth for "push".

Maybe it even had something to do with the selection of D14's planned launch date?

Tho I do agree D* needs to be careful with willy-nilly launching of HD basics just because it has the rights. I suspect --and cannot prove-- they have other rights for HD they've chosen not to exercise yet because of priority concerns.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2557 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Well, I don't think we'd want to assume some engineer at D* was flipping thru an industry magazine this past March, saw an ad for new encoders, and suddenly yelled out to the room "Hey! Look at this!".

I've got one presentation from a likely D* encoder vendor talking about this stuff in October of 2010. There's no reason to think that was the beginning of its visibility to D* either.

Said another way, it's just as credible this "encoder driven functional bandwidth bump" was planned as a midway juice between D12 and D14 since even before D12 launched. Or, if you think that's too early, their willingness to use 20 HD channels worth for "push".

Maybe it even had something to do with the selection of D14's planned launch date?

Tho I do agree D* needs to be careful with willy-nilly launching of HD basics just because it has the rights. I suspect --and cannot prove-- they have other rights for HD they've chosen not to exercise yet because of priority concerns.

I did not say that. I know they have been working on something at least as early as last year. These things take time and still they tested it before they added stuff. This was in plan for a long time. But they didn't start adding in earnest until it was working.

Do I think they did push too quickly? Yes. But they must have some data that says it is worth it. There has not been an ad campaign for it. Who even knows it exists?

#2558 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Do I think they did push too quickly? Yes. But they must have some data that says it is worth it. There has not been an ad campaign for it. Who even knows it exists?

Geeks like current company aren't the market for "push" tho --all the market for that capability needs to know is go to the Cinema channel and pick something out; let the magic do the rest. There's been plenty of advertising of Cinema. Customers who already have their DVR's hooked up to broadband are geeky enough to perhaps demand to know how the magic works, but it isn't aimed at us in the first place, so why would they feel the need to explain it or market it to us?
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2559 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

well ion be up in hd this week.

#2560 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Geeks like current company aren't the market for "push" tho --all the market for that capability needs to know is go to the Cinema channel and pick something out; let the magic do the rest. There's been plenty of advertising of Cinema. Customers who already have their DVR's hooked up to broadband are geeky enough to perhaps demand to know how the magic works, but it isn't aimed at us in the first place, so why would they feel the need to explain it or market it to us?

All the advertising for cinema says you need Internet, does it not? I'd think they'd advertise to get movies and no Internet needed! A selling point thy have never accented.

And the magic doesn't work right away. The only test done on here took days to get the movie. If it worked like magic, you'd see far fewer PPV channels in the 100s.

#2561 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,691 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

well ion be up in hd this week.

Who knows?

I don't even bother actually tuning to the test feed much any longer to check. Just briefly bring up the QuickTune menu with the ^ arrow key to see if IONEHD has still got the asterisk by it, and it does "*IONEHD"

Sign ... :nono:

#2562 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,250 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Thinks Ion should change their name to "Reruns R Us". :sure:

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#2563 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

How are they different from the several other syndication only channels?
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#2564 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

that and edited HEAVILY for a politically correct light PG rated pseudo G rated outcome of content..I mentioned on this thread before their re-runs are edited from what they were in their original run on said networks that ran them.

so keep the tango NOT GOING..they wont be missed

#2565 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

I chimed in on your twitter post !! if that was you semi bashing swanni !!:lol:

:heybaby:

I am the Stig.

#2566 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

:heybaby:

Nah, that wasn't you - the picture on twitter is from a Dutch dude, not The Stig :D

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list: Bring back Gol TV HD

#2567 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Nah, that wasn't you - the picture on twitter is from a Dutch dude, not The Stig :D

For all we know, The Stig is a Dutch dude :scratch:

#2568 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 863 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

I am anticipating on the edge of my seat for some sort of Pac-12 Network Deal and Launch by August 29th! :jumpingja
I would prefer
1. National Pac-12 for all
2. Pac-12 regional as my RSN, (Go BEAVS!)
3. Rest of Pac-12 available to all for a fee
-----a. HD Package, or
-----b. Sports Tier.

#2569 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

that and edited HEAVILY for a politically correct light PG rated pseudo G rated outcome of content..I mentioned on this thread before their re-runs are edited from what they were in their original run on said networks that ran them.

I suspect they're also HEAVILY edited to insert more commercial inventory not just on Ion but other basic cable channels that shows like NCIS are syndicated on. Remember a couple years ago when channels were airing opening and closing credits dual-screen in order to squeeze out extra time for commercials?

Personally I'd love it if Ion went back to the Pax TV days of 1998-2005 and reran many of the shows from that era that were enjoyable like It's a Miracle, Hope Island, Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye, Doc, Body and Soul, Mysterious Ways, Young Blades, etc. So far I've only come across a best-of boxset of It's a Miracle and it's far from being a complete series.

#2570 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

While disappointed by the content editing, the channel is on my wishlist (technically, it's not as I left it out of my current list due to it being in test, but you get the idea).

So... someone would miss them...

~Alan

#2571 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

For all we know, The Stig is a Dutch dude :scratch:

No comment.

I am the Stig.

#2572 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

While disappointed by the content editing, the channel is on my wishlist (technically, it's not as I left it out of my current list due to it being in test, but you get the idea).

So... someone would miss them...

~Alan

wish i could just give you my CW Alan...(WPIX)...I dont watch it at all...and some new yorkers just lost CW on the cablevision/optimum side with a dispute. Only time I watch is for when those Mets games fall on WPIX i obviously put it on in the bar..otherwise I havent watched my CW/Tribune station since Star Trek TNG/DS9 were 1st run there!! Space 1999 also via re-run..

#2573 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

wish i could just give you my CW Alan...(WPIX)...I dont watch it at all...and some new yorkers just lost CW on the cablevision/optimum side with a dispute. Only time I watch is for when those Mets games fall on WPIX i obviously put it on in the bar..otherwise I havent watched my CW/Tribune station since Star Trek TNG/DS9 were 1st run there!! Space 1999 also via re-run..

I'd give him mine too. In fact, mine has been used as the SD DNS at times. I haven't watched it since Smallville ended.

#2574 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

wish i could just give you my CW Alan...(WPIX)

Ditto... but I'd still want Ion HD as well. ;)

Considering that between the months of September through May, 85%-90% of my TV viewing is CBS, ABC, The CW, FOX, and NBC...

... and Ion is really only watched during the month of December, you can guess that it's MUCH, MUCH lower on my list when it comes to importance for me, but I'm still glad it is coming.

To each their own... :) Either way... some people will be happy to have it. :)

~Alan

#2575 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Speaking of Ion HD, I'm still getting Ion SD on my phone...

I don't feel very good about tomorrow so far.

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...