Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#2161 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

DIRECTV to Add 5 HD Channels Today?

By Swanni (08.15.2012)
@ http://www.tvpredict...nelsd081512.htm

Hahaha. Swanni is such a clown. Jumped the gun on the criticism. Then his correction is just a line above the premature article. Then he calls NGW National Geographic and claims Ion HD is in the mobile guides while everyone here noticed it wasn't as a hint that it wasn't going to launch.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2162 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

The problem I have with series like Luther on BBC America is that they are an hour long in the UK. When they are re-broadcast on BBC America, they insert 15 minutes of commercials and still broadcast the show in a one hour format. Thus they cut 15 minutes of the actual program. Cutting 15 minutes from an hour detective show makes that show almost unintelligible. The show is really butchered.

They used to show the full length on the first showing. Now, that does not happen very often.

Mike

Which is stupid. It's cable. Just make it a 1:15 show.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#2163 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Which is stupid. It's cable. Just make it a 1:15 show.

Would be more like 1:20 when you add the extra commercial time for the extra 15 minutes.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#2164 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Is anyone interested in the new BBCA series, Copper?
It premiers Sunday.

Oh yessssssssss I am.

#2165 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hahaha. Swanni is such a clown. Jumped the gun on the criticism. Then his correction is just a line above the premature article. Then he calls NGW National Geographic and claims Ion HD is in the mobile guides while everyone here noticed it wasn't as a hint that it wasn't going to launch.

Yeah I read that.... I was going to comment on the ION guide thing. He obviously doesn't read too thoroughly on here. Yes, ION DISSAPEARED in the guide, but re-appeared yesterday with SD guide data where the other channels came up with HD guide data.

It indicated that ION might simply not be ready for launch. So, FOUR HD channels launched today, which is still impressive.

I wish Swanni would do his own journalism instead of us doing the work for him.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2166 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Yeah I read that.... I was going to comment on the ION guide thing. He obviously doesn't read too thoroughly on here. Yes, ION DISSAPEARED in the guide, but re-appeared yesterday with SD guide data where the other channels came up with HD guide data.

It indicated that ION might simply not be ready for launch. So, FOUR HD channels launched today, which is still impressive.

I wish Swanni would do his own journalism instead of us doing the work for him.

And if he uses us, GET IT RIGHT!

#2167 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

i just talk to someone at ion media and she told me tht ion and directv are still working out a agreement rite now on ion hd so tht is wht it has not been add yet

#2168 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

I prefer Nancy Grace in SD to HD.

Actually, I prefer Nancy Grace on mute.

Yes, but don't forget Robin Meade! :)
HR24 - Samsung UN55D8000, HR22 - Panasonic PT-AE7000U, H24 - Samsung HL-S5668W, MRV, Slimline SWM5

#2169 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,463 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

i just talk to someone at ion media and she told me tht ion and directv are still working out a agreement rite now on ion hd so tht is wht it has not been add yet

Ah. Directv probably hoped it would be done in time for today's turn on. Must be very close.

#2170 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

The problem I have with series like Luther on BBC America is that they are an hour long in the UK. When they are re-broadcast on BBC America, they insert 15 minutes of commercials and still broadcast the show in a one hour format. Thus they cut 15 minutes of the actual program. Cutting 15 minutes from an hour detective show makes that show almost unintelligible. The show is really butchered.

They used to show the full length on the first showing. Now, that does not happen very often.

Mike

Very small correction but the episodes in Season 1 are 52 minutes (at least on Netflix streaming). There is still some editing obviously but not 15 minutes worth.

#2171 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Makes sense. Coming from a technology background and having worked in big corporations, it isn't too uncommon to get the technology up and running alongside of the legal process, especially in projects that are expected to complete, but just needs a lot of pulling and pushing to get it to move.

So in this instance, the technology is ready, everything was anticipated for launch, but the signatures just haven't been inked. My guess is that the channel will just stay in test, and launch if/when the agreement is signed.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#2172 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

I prefer Nancy Grace in SD to HD.

Actually, I prefer Nancy Grace on mute.

+1

#2173 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Makes sense. Coming from a technology background and having worked in big corporations, it isn't too uncommon to get the technology up and running alongside of the legal process, especially in projects that are expected to complete, but just needs a lot of pulling and pushing to get it to move.

So in this instance, the technology is ready, everything was anticipated for launch, but the signatures just haven't been inked. My guess is that the channel will just stay in test, and launch if/when the agreement is signed.

ur rite

#2174 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Would be more like 1:20 when you add the extra commercial time for the extra 15 minutes.

Even so. If you look at the programming of many, many European channels, they don't conform to the "top of the hour" type programming. Granted, SOME of those (such as the BBC) do not run commercials, but most channels do run them just like in the U.S.

You'll see a prime time lineup with start times of say 19:00, 19:40, 20:05, 21:30, 22:10, 23:00 or something like that to match the actual program time, put some commercials around it, etc.

Granted, it is a LOT easier for the public to know "8/9c" as the standard time for your prime time program to begin, but I would much rather see the FULL program, instead of stuff being cut out.

Now, they probably didn't cut out too much (the leader probably might be a minute or longer, they can probably cut off most of the credits or speed them up real fast). Also, they can speed up a program by 1 frame, e.g if the original was shot on 35mm with 24 frames/sec, they can put 25 frames/sec in the edited version, and the human mind wouldn't know the difference....(and they can pull similar trick with full HD digital cameras that shoot in many more frames/sec) but it translates to a 4% savings in time. So they don't always cut out a WHOLE lot, necessarily.... but they so cut out SOME.

I am the Stig.

#2175 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Dump IONHD and put up IFCHD.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#2176 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Dump IONHD and put up IFCHD.

Why not KEEP IONHD and ALSO get IFCHD? :)

I am the Stig.

#2177 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

here are some other channels tht i would like to see add in hd cmtpure hd ,parallax hd, havoc tv hd, true net hd, wfn hd, hd network the window ch hd,weather nation hd ,mav tv hd

#2178 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Eh, I can get ion hd on my cable QAM tuner. It's not encrypted and I have a basic cable line in the house for Internet and phone.

Looking forward to checking out BBCA and NatGeo Wild when I get home today!

Can't wait for the day they add DIY in HD though.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#2179 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

7:13 AM Memphis TN; none of the new HD showing up on my HR20 :(

If your HR20 is set to "Hide SD Duplicates" and you are using a custom list, you'll have to enter them in manually. Once the HD version comes on, the SD version disappears, taking the selection with it.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#2180 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

That's mostly because HLN is one of those channels you can just turn on in the morning and forget about it. It plays news most of the day, ideal for airports, coffee shops, office lobbies, dentist/dr. offices, you name it.... everywhere where people sit, and where there is a TV (and isn't catered to sport), a news channel, and specifically one that has actual news at least 15 minutes of every hour is a great choice.

It's not really a channel one would turn in to for a specific program. You turn it on for the morning news, whether you watch that half an hour at 6, 7 or 8 AM.

I don't believe, for instance, many people would DVR content from HLN to watch the next day or in the evening.

If HLN had actual news 15 minutes each hour, it might actually be acceptable.

But since I'm stuck with HLN on the cafeteria TVs, we spend lunch laughing at whatever odd non-news segments they come up with despite all of the real journalistic news stories happening around the world.

We need a show that puts the Gordon Ramsey of journalism against the crew of HLN. Now that would be worth watching!

spam firewall