Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q3-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3974 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

On the HD question, if it looks better than SD, that's good enough for me! I'm not going to (metaphorically) put on my fox hunting gear and go up to the screen with a monocle and/or magnifying glass and point out to everyone that, as an expert on picture resolution, I can see the pixels. Forget that! If it looks good, it looks good! :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Did DirecTV know Andy Griffith was going to die? :eek2:

http://tvbythenumber...july-18/140390/

The race is on! Can DirecTV get TCM HD up in time for the Andy-a-thon?

It may be close!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#203 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Like I said before, the 18th is a Wednesday...

Wednesday is most often but don't get hung up on Wednesdays.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#204 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Wednesday is most often but don't get hung up on Wednesdays.

Yeah I know. I've been here quite a while, and Sixto records the dates and days of the week. E! launched on a Thursday, TruTV launched on a Friday, and 3net launched on a Sunday, isn't that weird? :P

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#205 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,722 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

:beatdeadhorse: Didn't we go through this a year ago? Shorts has tons of movies that no one channels has. How many channels can say that?

I thought we were not allowed to post beating a dead horse here anymore. :lol: ;) :P

I'm kidding with you CCK. :D

Bring on the HD!

#206 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

The race is on! Can DirecTV get TCM HD up in time for the Andy-a-thon?

It may be close!

i must watch no time for sergents again. it was a longtime ago and i was in my youth but i recall the movie was histerical!

#207 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

i must watch no time for sergents again. it was a longtime ago and i was in my youth but i recall the movie was histerical!

You can watch it. It may be in SD. Or maybe not. HD is coming. Will that movie be in HD or not? Depends on when, I guess.

#208 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,923 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

Uh, from what I have seen of this poster from another site, that was being friendly. :lol:

Agreed...very tame. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#209 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

It's because I'm not blind.

It's obvious when something has HD detail and when it is upscaled crap. The problem with TCM is that HD transfers for many of their films have been made but they're still broadcasting them in standard definition. It makes no sense.

I've seen TCM HD on the systems it is on because I have Time Warner Cable. When I first saw TCM HD in the guide I thought it would be neat. When I actually tuned to the channel... wow, what a disappointment.

TCM HD does not qualify as "much better" picture. It is the SAME as TCM SD. There is no additional detail. You already have the equivalent of TCM HD. It's called TCM. Watch it on your HDTV and it will upscale it for you and it will look the same as TCM HD. My PC does a better job of upscaling than Turner's equipment.

The biggest problem with this is that it sets a bad precedent. Providers should be boycotting this channel until they start actually airing content in high definition. Right now it's false advertising to call the channel TCM HD.

If everyone pulled this **** at the start of the HD era nothing would be in native HD today. We'd all be dealing with 16:9 SD garbage like the Australians. The networks there realized that most people were incompetent and didn't notice the benefits of HD so as long as they made their signals "fill the screen" of everyone's HDTVs they could trick people into thinking they were watching HD. This is the same thing Turner is doing with TCM HD in the U.S. only they take it a step further and set it to output as 1080i instead of 576i 16:9 so they can claim to be "HD" since technically the resolution of the signal is higher than SD. 16:9 SD channels are abundant in Australia but you can count on one hand the number of native high definition channels down under.

I just don't understand how you can be happy with this. There is no excuse for this. Turner's catalog of films has many which have already had HD transfers made and this is evident because they actually air them in HD on the international TCM HD channel. It's now 3 years after TCM HD's launch in America and we're still getting the shaft for some reason. You're not getting this channel for free, a little bit more of your monthly bill to DirecTV now goes to Turner for their upscale channel and they sure as hell don't seem to be investing that money in some proper HD broadcasting equipment for the States. If all the hundreds of other HD networks no matter how small or obscure can afford the equipment for broadcasting their material in native HD I don't see why Turner gets to be the lone wolf here that everyone makes excuses for. If anything I'd expect fans of TCM to be more upset than I am that their channel is getting mismanaged this way but it seems to be the other way around.

You might want to wait and see it n DIRECTV before saying the Hi Definition feeed sucks because you saw it on twc. Chances are it will be better on DIRECTV than twc.

Plus, who is to say that DIRECTV has waited this long because they know things we don't, like tmc getting ready to start showing all Hi Definition transfers, if they don't show any now.

#210 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

I can't seem to find your list, but same thing for Fox Sports New Orleans and Pac-12 Network, no carriage agreements announced reported, rumored, etc.

I did read that the new Orleans channels will be a rebranding of another channel that DIRECTV does to actually carry at this time.

I'll do some more checking and see what I can find.

Edited by inkahauts, 03 July 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#211 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,064 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

I would somewhat disagree with your statements. Yes, there are some industry standards set for HD, generally accepted to be 720i/p and 1080i/p, but for something to be "high definition", it doesn't need to be sourced from a modern digital video camera.

An example: Star Trek:The Next Generation was shot using 35mm film, and from this film broadcast tapes were created with a 4:3 version of the show. These tapes are significantly better in quality than NTSC or PAL standards, and if you see the show on a current HD station, and you compare it to a SD station, the quality is a lot better, even though it comes from the exact same broadcast tapes.

Of course, at this moment they are re-digitizing the original 35mm to BluRay 1080p format, and the first season is to be released some time later this month I believe.... so by next year we will probably have all 7 seasons in BluRay format, and perhaps someone that wants to pick it up for syndication can no use the HD versions.

Similar things have been done with e.g. Seinfeld and Friends, which air in HD on several stations (TBS being one).

Maybe, in your view, the station of TCM doesn't have the RIGHT to carry the "HD" in the name, but the quality that is shown on screen is a lot better than what is shown on the SD version of the same station, so I would want to call it "high definition" for that reason alone. It may all be upconverted to 1080i, but it looks pretty darn good.

BTW: Your comment above might be viewed as smug and arrogant. Not really nice for a first time poster, people will usually remember the attitude you came in the room with. Just be friendly, it works a lot better.

Just to add on to what you say, Anything shot on film is of higher quality than any digital format will ever be able to do on film. The question is simply, how long before the studios all go through all their libraries and start to retransfer all their stuff again, from film to Hi Definition. Many have transferred all their libraries just a few years ago to DVD, so it may be all about dollars right now. However, even a DVD transfer will look better than a video tape transfer done in the 70s or 80s or even earlier, that was used to show a filmed show on tv for many years.

#212 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

I did read that the new Orleans channels will be a rebranding of another channel that DIRECTV does to actually carry at this time.

I'll do some more checking and see what I can find.

It's going to be a subfeed of FS Southwest but it'll still air the Rangers, Stars, Big-12 and SEC, and of course the Hornets.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#213 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

So when is this TCMHD supposed to launch?

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#214 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Soon.

:)

#215 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Not all test channels launch.
DTV = Digital Television

#216 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

So we got TruTv and now TCM, both Turner channels, I wonder if HLN will be next?

What does HLN really have that is worth seeing in HD? And don't tell me the sexy news hosts.....
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#217 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Unsure. I would say "anywhere between a few days and a few weeks". But the reality is, it could happen tonight, it could happen next week, it could happen 3 weeks from now. There really isn't a "set time" that a station is in test mode.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#218 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

5. There's a lot more RSN's that D* carries part time (live games and their pre-post games only): FS Indiana, FS Wisconsin, FS Kansas City, RS Utah, FS Carolinas, FS Tennesee, FS Houston, and FS Oklahoma. I know for a fact that FS Wisconsin is full time on cable, per a stay in a Milwaukee hotel room 2 years ago, I dunno about the others.

Fox Sports Ohio/Cinci.
Full time HD, but only part time HD on Direct TV. (Cavs, Blue Jackets, & Reds, depending on blackout/location in Ohio, ex; no Reds games in N. Ohio, Indians territory, Tribe carried on STO full time HD)
No college sports, UEFA, or anything else in HD on FSN Ohio

#219 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Just to add on to what you say, Anything shot on film is of higher quality than any digital format will ever be able to do on film. The question is simply, how long before the studios all go through all their libraries and start to retransfer all their stuff again, from film to Hi Definition. Many have transferred all their libraries just a few years ago to DVD, so it may be all about dollars right now. However, even a DVD transfer will look better than a video tape transfer done in the 70s or 80s or even earlier, that was used to show a filmed show on tv for many years.

If they do transfer them to HD BluRay format, it is to sell BluRays, they don't just do this for broadcasting.

But as said, most of the movies shown on TCM (SD and HD) are movies that were transferred from 35mm film to a digital broadcasting tape (Betacam or DVCPro most likely) which contain a much better picture than a typical SD signal over cable networks, and satellite feeds alike will display. As such, by default these tapes look a whole lot better on the HD version of a station, and for me.... that works just fine and is mighty enjoyable.

By now, many TV stations have started digitizing their tape collection to a datacenter and stored in digital formats, which doesn't improve (or reduce) the quality of the movie that was on the tape, but it does make it easier to modify it for widescreen usage.

Personally, I have seen TCMHD at my mother in-law who has cable (and also BBC America HD, sigh) and it just looks GOOD! I don't really care if it isn't a movie that has been re-mastered into 1080p BluRay quality and broadcasted in 1080i, what they currently have and broadcast, looks good. Besides, it does retain some of the classic feel you get when watching these movies.

I am the Stig.

#220 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,772 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

After crosschecking your list with D*'s lineup and some news articles, I noticed of couple of errors:

Comments below:

1. Galavisión is Spanish, hence the tilde and its position on channel 404.

Galavisión is Spanish, but provided with the normal English language packages. It's meant to be separated from the others.

2. Starz announced a new carriage agreement with D* in April for MoviePlex, RetroPlex and IndiePlex (which most likely also includes more Encore HD's) and they're launching "soon". Nothing specifying whether they'll be in HD though, so mark them as "possible" I guess. Press release.

Hallmark announced a new carriage agreement with DirecTV that allowed DirecTV to carry Hallmark Channel HD and Hallmark Movie Channel SD & HD. A year and a half to two years later, Hallmark Channel HD and Hallmark Movie Channel HD showed up (no sign of Hallmark Movie Channel SD).

When DirecTV launches a channel, I'll delete them...

3. LHN is unlikely to ever launch on D*, per a public statement from D* in Multichannel News saying it isn't worth the carriage fee. Full article.

The point of the list is to list what is available out there for DirecTV to add... regardless of DirecTV's odds of adding them.

4. D* also said the same as above about Epix per an interview with "Interim CEO" Larry Hunter (I've never heard of him BTW, is he still with the company?) in another news article from Multichannel News, but that was 3 years ago, before D12. Full article.

See above!

5. There's a lot more RSN's that D* carries part time (live games and their pre-post games only): FS Indiana, FS Wisconsin, FS Kansas City, RS Utah, FS Carolinas, FS Tennesee, FS Houston, and FS Oklahoma. I know for a fact that FS Wisconsin is full time on cable, per a stay in a Milwaukee hotel room 2 years ago, I dunno about the others.

I'll add these in a bit!

Thanks! :)

6. D* doesn't have Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast part time (unless you mean live game only feeds on ESPN Game Plan and ESPN Full Court).

Huh?

7. Not sure if this counts, but technically they do carry NHK World via MHz Worldview (which I get OTA via WDCQ-DT2 :) ) on channel 2183 in the World Direct package and a 95 ° W dish, but it's only for a few hours a day.

The channel listed is referring to the 24/7 HD channel, so no, it doesn't count.

8. Not sure what category this belongs in, but Fox College Sports has -1 channels labelled as HD, but they've never been used (most likely remnants from when BTN overflows were on 617, 623 and 626).

Alternate/overflow channels will not be listed...

~Alan

spam firewall